Returning to EQ questions

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Flotten, Dec 28, 2015.

1. Flotten New Member

I have a level 90 mage that I created back in 1999 and leveled up over the years. I stopped playing 3 expansions ago, so the last expansion I own is Rain of Fear which I did not play much.

Questions:
    1. I own 19/22 expansions. If I buy The Broken Mirror does it include
    The Darkened Sea and Call of the Forsaken too? In other words what is the cheapest way to get me from Rain of Fear to Call of the Forsaken?

2. I like to MOLO most of the time and have a T5 cleric merc while using my Air Pet as the tank. I was able to do pretty good with this in the past. Do the last 4 expansions have enough MOLO content that I can level from 90 to max, and also get some decent gear (not the best, I know)?

3. Where should I level (MOLO) from 90 - 105 or whatever max is?

Note: I also have a second account with a 85 enchanter that I used to run a T5 tank merc and box it with my mage+cleric merc, using this I was also able to easily take out named mobs AND do progressions for gear. I would like to try and avoid having to 2-box if at all possible. If I do decide to box, what is the fastest way to get my 85 enchanter to 90?

Thanks!
  2. Silv Augur

1. Yes.

2. Yes. There is A TON between ROF and TBM that would be great for you.

3. I would start working your way up through where you left off. ROF has a lot of good spots where your pet can tank for *decent* XP. Shards -> Evantil -> Shadows is pretty easy to do that wouldn't require much CC (if at all) for Mage moloing. You definitely want to be out of ROF by 100 because they did a significant XP nerf to most stuff there once you are >Lv. 100. For COTF maybe try running through some of the HAs and see how you do... if you can MOLO through some of the daily tasks you'll get huge XP. However, I don't know if you will be able to go through them quick enough to make it worth it. You'll get currency for doing these as well that will let you pickup some gear and augs to get you back on track. Given the newest expac. has level scaling and relatively easy HAs you *might* even be able to run through some of those. You can continuously improve the base gear you get in the TBM missions too so you'd be set on gear more or less to max level. I'd skip most of TDS unless you are going to 2-box (go back later for augs stuff maybe). You won't be able to easily get through the TDS progression to unlock the good XP zones. Honestly, I don't know if a Mage molo could actually get through some of those.

While you mentioned you don't want to really 2-box I'd seriously consider it. An Enchanter will be a HUGE boost (and good DPS themselves) once you get a bit higher. Drop the tank merc though and let your pet tank so you can do Ench + Wiz merc + Mage + Cleric merc. With the pet tanking changes it makes things a lot easier too since you can have a player in range and the mob will still hit the pet if it's highest on aggro. Enchanter can also function as a backup tank for you at higher levels. For leveling the Enchanter you could find a good charm soloing spot in the Grounds to start with if you're rusty and then move into ROF by 90. Also, you could group them up with the Mage, run daily HAs even faster and do it that way. Just remember those missions scale to the highest player in group so if you outlevel the Enchanter by a mile they won't be able to CC anything due to level restrictions on mez/charm, etc.

ps. Make sure you re-sub your account *before* you buy the expac so you get the 10% all access discount. Saves a couple bucks.
    Viper1 likes this.
  3. Viper1 Augur

You have access to cotf right now, the "19/22" is a display bug, it should say "20/22," however, it functions as intended.

Moloing from 90 to 105 is tough and I wouldn't recommend it. It will be very frustrating and very slow progress. Instead, head to dead hills in cotf and ask for HA groups. It will be more fun and less apt to burn out.
    Silv likes this.
  4. Flotten New Member

Thanks for the reply!

Stupid question, what is Shards -> Evantil -> Shadows ?
  5. Silv Augur

Sorry, zones in ROF that would be good for moloing: Shard's Landing, Evantil, and then Plane of Shadows. Mob level increases in those zones (in that order) and they're just pretty straight forward. There are plenty of others but mainly thinking ease of access/pulls/etc. for a Mage molo.

I'd take this advice honestly, esp. if you (OP) won't box the Enchanter.
    Viper1 likes this.
  6. Heatwave Journeyman

If you're not into boxing with the enchanter, I'd definitely also recommend finding groups. Going to the hotzones, or looking for HA groups will definitely be better xp than trying to molo.

However, a good bit definitely is moloable, all the way to max level. Check the baz for possible easy upgrades, as well. Especially pet focus items.

I would also recommend boxing the enchanter though, with a wiz merc. Enchanters become godlike at higher levels, with huge runes, incredible aDPS and mana regen abilities, and very good self DPS with their nukes, not to mention all their pulling and CC abilities, and will make much more content able to be completed for you, without assistance. Tank mercs are terrible at higher levels compared to magician pets, if have appropriate pet focus item and pet AAs on the magician, and is why I would suggest the wiz merc, with the ability to change to cleric merc for possible encounters where additional healing is needed.
  7. Flotten New Member

Thanks everyone, so in summary I should:

1. Use Grounds to get chanter to 90 (mages level)
    2. Get groups for HA's or try to 2-box HA's OR go to ROF Shard's Landing, Evantil, and then Plane of Shadows from 90 to 100
    3. For 100-105 either go to COTF and do HA's OR go to TBM

So TBM zones are pretty much equivalent to COTF, or should I focus on TBM instead (I assume it too has HA's and MOLO options?)
  8. lancelove Augur

Get all expansions, Mage Chanter is an awesome team!