Returning SK

Discussion in 'Tanks' started by Treiln, Feb 16, 2020.

1. Treiln Augur

Returning after a couple years and was looking to get back into the swing things. Was wondering if anyone could give me a link to an up-to-date spell line up for solo/group as well as AA's/Discs being used.

Tried doing a little searching on here and was completely lost. Just to give you an insight on my intel-gathering abilities...it took me like 20 minutes to find the damn Gather Shadows and Greater Invis vs Undead AAs when I was messing around earlier today lol

Currently 110 and sitting in some Conflag and EoK T2 gear it appears. I did buy ToV so up to date on that as well - is it worth getting the TBL spells for 110? Or would I be better off just leveling and getting new spells as I go?

TIA!
    Shindius likes this.
  2. Szilent Augur

even at 115 you will need the 110 Touch of T'Vem, 108 Concordant Disruption, and 106 Dissident Fang on your spell bar. Playing all the way to 115 without 105 Touch of Lutzen & the 106-110 versions of Insidious, Skin, Spear, and Dire available to you sounds like accepting being of highly questionable utility in your role.
  3. Treiln Augur

Took your advice and went and got the soells (minus Dissident, I’ll grab that tonight). Got my AAs/Discs/hot bars all set up and took a few lower level guildies with me to Frontier Mountains just to get my feet wet since I recall that zone/camps the best.

So moving forward, would I be better off jumping into TBL progression as i level (80/20 exp/AA) since it’s supposed to be a free for all and no actual linear path. And then go back to RoS once I’m 115 and looking for easy AAs on my down time, or just go in order of RoS —> TBL —> ToV?
  4. Aoth_Onya New Member

I'd suggest getting a set of ToV t1 visables from bazaar, would outclass conflag and and eok gear by a ton, which you need as a tank. They should be really cheap simply because the named spawns were broken for a while and flooded the bazaar. They cost w/e from a player and then around 21k a pop to make with an item from a vendor in Crystal Caverns, but will last all the way into ToV. Also non-visables too if you can grab them for cheap.
    If you can manage that, skip TBL for now and start basic progression in ToV t1 zones, as they are way easier than TBL and even RoS imo and should have a larger amount of people trying to do that progression.

You can set the AA window to sort the AA by activable, so you can get a grasp on some of your abilities.

What server are you on?
  5. Treiln Augur

Yeah I’ve got the visibles, even snagged a shield for cheap. Just haven’t bothered making the armor/swapping the augs yet. Figured I’d do it when I decided to get into a little bit tougher stuff.

And that’s precisely what I did, did the “can activate” and went through 1 by 1 and placed them accordingly lol

Drinal server

Edit: With current gear/set up I’m about 215k HP, 5k AC (sword and board), and just shy of 22k AAs
  6. Funky Augur

i only disagree with having to have Concordant Disruption (harmonious) on your spell bar all the time... yes it has a little lifetap to it and is amazing for aggro... but that's not a necessity to have up all the time.

honestly i rarely ever find myself using harmonious unless im in an AE group just to ensure none break off on someone else AEing. but also remember if he's ever playing without a healer in the group... concordant wont do anything. have to be receiving direct heals... also if you aren't trying to have multiple mobs and he's in an area with mobs all around.... you can get quite a few adds you didn't want.

ive messed up (multiple times) and had it AE a mob through a wall and here came the train :)
  7. Szilent Augur

Concordant is less necessary the better controlled the environment is, it's true, but invaluable when there's less control - like in mission scripts where adds will pop up. My point was primarily that some key 110- spells have a place in the in 115 SK toolkit; they can't be cavalierly ignored like with some classes where the newer spells wholly replace anything pre-ToV
    Shindius and Funky like this.
  8. Anhur Journeyman

That's interesting: it's advisable to keep Touch of T`Vem at 115 even with the newer spells?
  9. Drogba Augur

Yes, this is so that you can chain lifetaps.

You may even find occasional use for Touch of Lutzen, for instance: if you are mezzing and unable to use your AE lifetap, or fighting mobs that are very resistant to the AE lifetap.
  10. Szilent Augur

the core Touch lifetaps do not share timer with one another. You don't keep T'Vem instead of Drendar, you use both. And like Drogba says, sometimes you even mix in the 3rd, Lutzen with the other two. At 110, you should be using T`Vem and Lutzen, and sometimes mixing in Falsin. There ought not be a ton of use for the 3rd one, since nearly all the time other spells (Insidious, spear, Dire, Dissident, XBite) fill the gaps fine, but if for whatever reason you can't cast them (Insidious in particular), then 3rd touch makes it so you're still casting spells full time. Full time, or you're not really shadowknighting just suxberserkering.
    Shindius, Gyurika Godofwar and Anhur like this.
  11. Anhur Journeyman

Super interesting: really appreciate the sharing! Would you critique my load out - at 115, in ToV, in group content, I'm rocking;
    1. Protest for Power: aggro generation + protest for power recourse proc (+AC)
    2. Terror of Mirenilla: aggro generation + cascading theft of defense proc (rune) - assigned to spam key
    3. Bond of Vulak: DoT + health return
    4. Dire Convulsion: DoT + AC reducer - drop in favor of something else (more tap)?
    5. Nefarious Blight: DoT (mainly for named that are a bit meatier) - drop in favor of something else (more tap)?
    6. Spear of Cadcane: dps nuke (also procs cascading theft of life?) - assigned to spam key
    7. Vulak's Bite: nuke + restores HP and Mana - assigned to spam key
    8. Dissdent Fang - assigned to spam key
    9. Dire Indictment - assigned to spam key
    10. Touch of Zlandicar - assigned to spam key
    11. Insidious Rejection
    12. Cadcane's Skin
    13. Concordant Disruption
    In terms of other things on spam;
    1. Thwart
    2. Taunt
    3. Rending Blade
    4. Bite of Chaos
    5. Encroaching Darkness
    While my crew hasn't struggled, I do enjoy/prefer to be "optimal".
  12. Szilent Augur

Protest & Zlandicar only need to be recast about every 10 minutes for their recourse buffs.

DoTs are almost entirely bad. Having not been updated like shm/dru/enc/rng/bst, they're just much less productive than other spells in those slots.

Terror is a very good tool for a very specialized job - adding agro instantly without dealing damage. If it's okay to deal damage, and/or if it's okay to not be instant (i.e. nearly always) then other spells (e.g. lifetaps) will both add more agro and do more to help you survive.

making spam key
    Spear - Dire - Insidious - Drendar - T`vem - Vbite - Dissident
    will have you full time casting at ~20 spells/minute, adding damage and healing yourself like a mad lad

Dissident should have higher overall priority in real use since it's also good dps, but putting it at the bottom of the spam linup leaves it available most of the time for manual throwing out. Being on the multibind just makes sure it's not forgotten. Good manual uses are to cover a damage spike, for instance, or to get a killshot if Mortal Coil buff is timing out.
    Gyurika Godofwar and Anhur like this.
  13. Drogba Augur

I suspect that you misspoke by saying 'Protest', as it's AC buff lasts under 3 minutes, and it's aggro debuff around 50 seconds. I figure you meant to name one of the other self buffs.

Terror's are still better aggro than 'Touch of xxx'.

Though unless you're really pressed to put out more aggro, nuking the enemy while healing yourself is usually the more fruitful option.
    Anhur likes this.
  14. Szilent Augur

oop, yep. the other one, Torrent, lasts 10 minutes like Klandikar?
  15. Drogba Augur

something like that. a little longer iirc.
  16. Anhur Journeyman

Appreciate the details gents!