Returning Player suggestions

Discussion in 'Tanks' started by Gnomer Pyle, May 3, 2017.

1. Gnomer Pyle New Member

Hello all,

Recently I’ve had the itch to play EQ again after 10 years away. I have 3 accounts to which I logged in to be awarded 3 heroic toons. I am unsure of the gear they are given and AAs as to why I came here. My thoughts are to start a 3 box team of Tank/Mez/DPS. Below are my thoughts based on what I have read around here.

Mezzing – Enchanter. I chose an enchanter over a bard due to the ease of mezzing. While a bard is an easy box I feel it may be a little easier on me overall from an adds perspective.

DPS – Wizard?. I am thinking Wizard due to again the ease of boxing and good burst dps from what I have been reading. Ideally I think a zerker would be great as I read that they are kings of dps atm. That being said I am on 1 PC and 2 melee characters seems painful.

Tank – war or sk. I am undecided at this point on a tank. I do not want to be a paladin because I just cannot bring myself to play one due to the lore of the class. Sks can pull and have more utility over a warrior however a warrior has great mitigation. I think having an enchanter in the group helps from the pull perspective. I am leaning more towards a Warrior because of survivability.
    War/enc/wiz is where I am at currently. With Mercs I hear you can run 1-2 clr and a wiz merc to destroy most content. I want to say I would to raid down the road on the warrior but I think that is a bit away. At this time it would be group content until I have gained the skills and equipment enough to start raiding. I am undecided on a server at this time but I don’t think that will honestly matter for what I am trying to do here.

Thoughts?
  2. Ofearl Slayer of all things Stupid

Id swap wiz toon for druid, still get hits the fan evac, heals, buffs. Run wiz mercs, cheaper then spells and gear. War or Sk is a fun decision, I have a Sk I tool around once in awhile and I prefer utility. Will get IVU for the group and fd snare.

Asfor 3d account, ranger or bard is a good afk attack toon, tab over hit melodys or autofire and tab back. Set up hot keys for the druid to hit some dots and boom mob dead. Run 2 wiz mercs and one healer for normal stuff, pop second healer when ya need. Just remeber one sjould be balanced other reactive. If both on same stance they heal the same at the same time...
  3. p2aa Augur

If your reason to choose the warrior is mitigation / survival, then you might need to reconsider your choice. Knights have the same mitigation baseline 24/24 than warriors due to a warrior stance given to knights. In group content, the knight is beating the warrior with his better self healing. Especially if you use some cleric mercs who can sometimes be slow to heal when you need it, the knights will be able to save the day with a self healing ability.
    Also, with an enchanter and a wizard, you will get more DPS synergy with the SK than the warrior, as a part of SK DPS is coming from spells.
    In your case, I would choose a SK.
  4. Tucoh Augur

I 5 box a war/bard/cle/mage/berserker.

A few points:
    1. At 105, mezzing isn't terribly useful if you have a well set up tank. You can just tank everything, and it's faster/easier than mezzing.

2. Like p2aa says, SKs are better group tanks than warriors because they can self-heal. On the flip side warriors are less work than SKs to play well, so they have that upside for box groups where you probably want to switch to your DPS after the mobs have aggro on your tank. SKs need to cast spells in order to self-heal, warriors have very little to do once they have aggro and their defensive abilities are popped.

3. Generally you want tank + Utility + DPS. Utility means ADPS/mana regen/tracking etc.

In terms of tank, war is easier, SK is harder.
    In terms of DPS, easy classes would be mage,wizard and ranger. Harder would be berserker.
    In terms of utility, easy would be bard, harder would be shaman/enc.

An easy-mode group would look like war/bard/ran. A hard-mode group would look like sk/sha/bers.

Having a melee DPS isn't as hard as it sounds, because you can quickly group the mobs, then position the berserker so it is in melee range of all the mobs.
  5. Bigstomp Augur

Like Tucoh said, mez isn't important. Take the bard. They CAN mez, but with a solid tank you won't need it often. The bard adps + tracking is your go to tool.
    For a 3rd I'd go zerker or wizard. Wizard is less work (very easy to box) but the zerker is currently king of the hill dps, and also gets more boost from the bard.