Returning player questions.

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Zedu, Oct 11, 2012.

1. Zedu New Member

Hey all I am about to come back to the game after being gone for years and I will be starting over from the beginning. I plan to make a trio and FV will be my new server I think due to the exp bonus. What I really want to know is how can I go from 1-95 with about 4k AA as fast as possible? When I last played I never made it to level 80(78 I think) I was boxing 2 magicians and exp got so slow that the game was no longer fun to play. I would like to have better luck this time. So...
    1. What is the most efficient trio I can play for fast paced fast exp game play?
    2. What is the fastest method for leveling this trio?
    3. How can I make the grind exciting? If I start dozing off during play I will just end up quitting again.
    4. If I use mercs how will it effect my exp gain?
    I appreciate all advice here, it will be nice to have a plan in place for when I start back here in about a week. Also, I will not be missing any content because I played up until almost level 80 which is the main reason I do not want to spend too much time in zones under 80+. Thanks again all!!!
  2. Yther Augur

Exp will eventually get slow no matter what, if not level, assuming you get to max quickly, then AA eventually will seem slow in comparison. It is just how the game works. Not keeping gear and AA on some classes makes a difference higher up on XP rate.

Any way, at lower level, just get 1 tank merc and optionally rogue mercs or extra tank mercs. But, 1 Journeyman Tier I tank merc will do fine to start as they can handle multiple reds upto 50s, and will power level you to the 60s, after that is when classes of the trio will become important, and I will let others discuss what will be the best. Personally, I think if you had problems with a Magician, maybe you shouldn't pick the best, and go with what you like to play instead. Magician is one of the best solo, duo, trio classes for ease of play, ability, and exp gain.

Yther Ore.
  3. Pizacatto - CT Augur

1-95 with 4K AA's? See you in a year. EQ is not a fast game in that manner, it takes some time. It'll take a full week per level 85+, then the 4K AA's will fly by because they have cranked up the AA's XP.

1. Most efficient Trio? Lots of DPS. The problem with 3 boxing is you don't want to have the primary issues of a group fall on your shoulders. Switching screens to get to your healer in a moment of panic means a wipe. Not hitting taunt enough could mean a wipe. Two DPS, your choice, and a Shammy would work well. Having the buffbot shammy will do wonders. That leave the type of DPS. I'd suggest 1 melee, 1 caster, in case you get tired of spamming spells or spamming melee. Shammy, Wizard, Rogue. You could trade out the Rogue with a Zerker or a Beastlord, and the Wizard with a Mage or Necro, but running pet classes makes for lazy casters and your skills don't improve fast enough.

2. Fastest method: Stick to Hot Zones, exclusively, buy LOTS of DS Potions. I personally use a Ranger for PLing (mainly because I don't have a high enough Druid) for DS, SoW and heals. He works great till 43, then they join the group with him and I get them to 63, then I run them with my Bard. Damage Shield Potions will kill monsters quicker than anything else, the main problem is you can't give potions to your merc (or at least I've never tried), so the tank will be without a DS. At low levels, it doesn't matter, run without a tank, the lower your AC, the more often (and harder) the mobs will hit you, so have the Melee DPS run as tank and get hit a lot, so the DS will do all the work for you.

3. Do the Hero's Journey Quests. When you log in, the Hero's Journey book should pop into your inventory (or hit Shift+C) to claim it. It has all the quests of all the zones in the whole damn game, and will tell you who to talk to in order to start the quests. As you complete quests for zones, you get achievement. Not much you can do, though, it's called a 'grind' for a reason, and I think you already know that, otherwise you wouldn't be asking about it.

4. Mercs don't take from your XP, and they level up with you. I like to think adding them to have a full group gives the full group bonus, but I never bothered to check, I just run with a full group whenever I can.

Welcome back! Have you decided on a server?
  4. monegames Journeyman

mercs do decrease your xp gains. they take xp like they are a regular grp member, but they don't give you the added xp bonuses that other players give. so if you molo, you and merc, you and merc split xp 50/50. but until the mid 60s with a bunch of aa's the j1 tank merc is so good, using it increases your kill speed and survivability enough to overcome xp loss per mob.
  5. Eadricx New Member

1. What is the most efficient trio I can play for fast paced fast exp game play?

My personal favorite is this:

Ranger - pulls, DPS, buffs, off tank, snare
    Shaman - Buffs, DPS, secondary Rez

Your 3rd should be whatever else you are comfortable playing. I use both a cleric and enchanter (though neither is played to full potential).

2. What is the fastest method for leveling this trio?

1 to 13 - Qeynos/Blackburrow
    13 to 25 - Paludal Caverns (bandit camps)
    25 to 46 - Great Divide (giant fort and elite giants past it)
    46 to 55 - Plane of Justice/Disease/Innovation
    55 to 62 - plane of valor
    62 to 81 - plane of fire (C1 & C2, also field I between the two if castles are occupied).
    81 to 85 - old Blackburrow / tosk / Warrens
    85 to 90 - House of Thule progression
    90 to 95 - VoA

As far as AAs go, starting at 51 I'd pause at each level until you have maxed all of them for that level. Then move on with leveling.

3. How can I make the grind exciting? If I start dozing off during play I will just end up quitting again.

The grind is never exciting. Beyond that, just keep trying something new.

4. If I use mercs how will it effect my exp gain?

Mercs do take their cut, but its no more than if you were in a full group. If you have an enchanter as your 3rd, then you can run their XP bonus aura to help with the offset.

My advice on Merc choice as well. Go with Tank, Healer, and DPS (I like the Melee DPS personally)
  6. Fenthen aka Rath

Pay someone to level you.

The game isn't about chugging to the finish line; it's about enjoying the ride.
  7. Qest T. Silverclaw Augur

We need a lot more information.

For instance, why do you want to be 95 and 4k AAs on three boxes? Is there some raid guild that you want to join with that requirement?

What did you like about the Mage class? What didn't you like? What have you seen in other classes that you liked or didn't like?

Do you plan to solo all the time or will you join groups?

Is your end goal three toons or just one?

Do you have friends or guildmates who can help you? What classes are they?
  8. Zedu New Member

Unless I am mistaken, I think I made it clear from my post that I have experienced the game up to level 80. So please, dont hit me with the chugging to the finish line comments.
  9. Zedu New Member

I don't know anyone I will be starting out on FV alone I might join a guild but from past experience they tend to not be active like I am told they are and I end up leaving anyway.
    I plan on starting soon so any advice is much appreciated!
  10. Danite Lorekeeper

3 boxing i would
    Bard for pulls heal merc ... bards also add alot to the grps dps
    Shaman for buffs , slow and back up heal ... Tank merc
    3rd spot id got with a actively played DPS class for the most fun here go with what u like
    Caster .. wiz mage or necro are all good caster dps i would even lump ranger into caster dps becouse of ranged dps
    Melee ... Rog , Monk , zerk , if u want to be up in the thick of it Doing yer dps Rangers also do good dps in melee
    as fir 3rd merc tank or dps till 80s the get a second merc slot on this toon for a extra healer merc so when u pull named
  11. Qest T. Silverclaw Augur

Ok, first of all, Mage DPS is quite high, so since you weren't happy there, we know you don't want to play a DPS class. Tanks are really the toughest classes these days to get leveled, AAed, and geared; so therefore, you want a healer or utility class. Also, healers can get groups easiest since often times a "full" group still uses a healer merc so you should have an easy in. Also, Bards and Enchanters, while powerful, are generally underappreciated, so I suggest a healer.

If you want to box, maybe Druid, Enchanter, Mage?

What do you think?