Returning player most viable 3 or possible 4 box?

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Eversmack, Apr 5, 2016.

1. Eversmack New Member

Returning to EQ after a long break. Considering 3 boxing possibly 4 curious as to which class combos are most powerful for group xping and end game? Are mages/necro still viable with pet changes?
    Any info is greatly appreciated, considering starting over on FV soon.
  2. Picaresque Augur

I am curious as well. Thinking of a 3 box (all 99-103) consisting of Bard/Mage/Pal with Healer/Wizard/Wizard Mercs. No software assist, so Alt-Tab.
  3. Eversmack New Member

I will also be alt tabbing. I'm going to start fresh with three lvl 1s just not sure which three. I quit around OoW so been quite a while since I've played. I'm thinking bard necro or mage and some tank type just not sure if the DPS would be there. Or maybe swap bard for chanter for better CC. I don't know I've been scrounging through forums trying to figure out which class are good at what now (endgame wise).
  4. Desmosis New Member

I regularly 4 box : PAL / BRD / SHM / WIZ. Leveled together all the way up. Usually use 2 dps mercs or live people with w/e class. I haven't found anything that is not doable with this set up. It's helpful to have a live tank, though most of the content seems doable pet or merc tanking as long as there's enough healing and dps.
  5. Khauruk Augur

So, there are a great many class combos that are viable. Mage pet is still good, as is bst pet. Necro is definitely a tier behind them. Bst can also dps alongside their pets w/o needing to tank.

That said, in general, player tanks are far superior to pets and agro is generally as easy as it has ever been for all classes.

If I didn't mind boxing at all, my first focus would be a tank and a bard/monk/enc, as those are the least replaceable classes via mercs. Past that, group cures aren't handled well by mercs, ports, and snares. General heals and dps can be subbed out w/o so many limitations.
  6. Ultrazen Augur

There are some older boxing threads that have quite a bit of discussion in them. Short list of good 3 boxes.

1. Mage, Chanter, Druid. One of the best 3 boxes in the game. The synergy is amazing, the travel options are great. Can also run bard instead of chanter. I've done both, they are both great. Chanter is easier to manage and more beneficial for caster based party.

2. SK, Druid, Chanter. Healer merc, wiz, wiz. merc. Bulletproof 3 box, can do just about anything including no mercs if you need to.

3. Palie, Chanter, Wiz. Another one of the best boxes, same as above.

4. Shaman/Sk/Monk. If you like melee, could add a bard as 4th box and run healer/wiz mercs. Great team.
  7. NameAlreadyInUse #CactusGate

I run SK/Druid/Wiz, plus healer/wiz/wiz mercs. I choose SK and Druid over pally or shaman because I think they are more versatile and more fast DPS in druid's case.

IMO, there are very few spots in the game where having crowd control is better (faster) than just plowing through. Lot's of love for the chanters and bards out there, but I think if you're playing your tank well, you won't need (nor have time for) crowd control. Admittedly...I've never really tried working a bard/chanter into my rotation because it seemed like it would be to much micromanagement (time spent on the chanter or bard means time not spent on the other toons). Perhaps you get enough ADPS with them just being in the group to make up for it?

Other considerations when deciding "best box makeup":
    My SK is very well geared.
    Level matters. At different levels, different group makeups might be "better".
    Kill speed matters. My group is great for lots of quick kills in most situations and fast burns on big mobs. If you prefer longer fights (or perhaps fighting mobs of higher difficulty), then other combinations might be better.
    Travel: Druids and Wizzies make travel much faster. I like to minimize the time I waste traveling in game.
    Chanter and Shammy buffs can usually be gotten in PoK or from guildies.
    Casters are easier to box than melee because you spend less time worrying about individual positioning.
  8. Numiko Augur

I second Mage/druid/chanter or SK/Druid/Chanter

I 4 box with a necro too for more dps and have not run into anything i cannot beat in the group game.. after a few tries ;)