Returning player looking for advice, grouping, etc.

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Leslie Reid, Dec 1, 2018.

1. Leslie Reid New Member

I'm returning to Everquest after 12 years. Managed to get my account back up with the help of support. My main is a level 70 shaman & I have several other lower level (30ish) alts on the Xegony server (I was originally on Xev). I don't know anyone who is currently playing the game & I'm finding it difficult to solo with a shaman. Looking for any tips for getting back into the swing of the game, where to go to level solo and/or anyone who might want to group up sometime.
  2. phattoni Augur

goto pok and get a tank mercenary if you havent yet, it wont help much since you are 70 but will speed 47up kills a little bit, after about level 60 the tank mercs drop off in usefulness for soloing.

check out franklin teek in pok for daily quests that will give a huge chunk of exp even into the 100s.
  3. bigpapa Augur

shaman can solo pretty well once used to , can root mobs and cast as many dots that you can.

it is getting easier as you level since most dots don't cast a dd when casting a dot ( that could drop root ).

I forgot what level is the 1st aa root ( virulent paralizis ) think it is lv 61 or something it is a good one, you could mem another spell root at level 70 too and check for mobs who don't summon. at level 97 shm get a pretty good root spell as well ( shackle ) .

there is another aa ( ae root ) who can root up to 8 targets ( forgot what level it start tho ). with as many root it is pretty easy to solo. and at level 85 we get (AA : instant cast cheetah run speed ) that one is huge, when you can outrun mobs easily.
  4. Buri Augur

Are you in a guild? That can make a huge difference getting groups and such. I'm in Alliance of Hope on Xegony, which is 95+ to apply, but there are guilds that cater to lower levels too, Lions of the Heart comes to mind.
  5. phattoni Augur

also at 70 you have a wide variety of options, it depends how hard you want to work, i leveled from 46-62 or so in velks soloing, it was lightblue/green, very little effort required and i leveled just as fast as i did killing yellow cons because the exp was flowing nicely, and i didnt have any downtime, with yellows i would have to stop every 3rd or 4th mob to med.
  6. Leslie Reid New Member

I am not in a guild. Do you have to have a paid membership to join a guild? I haven't paid for one yet because I wanted to get a feel for the game to make sure I could get back into it. I saw a guild called Shadows of Xev that says it's for returning players that I thought about checking out.
  7. Leslie Reid New Member

I have been spending a lot of time in Barren Coast pulling undead pirates that are light blue. I seem to be able to handle them pretty easily with a Merc (even when I pull 2 or 3... As long as I'm not low on mana).
  8. matouoli Elder

shaman got a great aa root { virulent paralizis } who land pretty well on many mobs but undead have higher chance to resist it . shm have a { AA ae root as well.}

do you have the aa { cannibalization ? } that one is a huge one for shaman .

well you are using a merc tank still , who take some xp. if you killing 2x faster with a tank merc , all is good . if not , you can try root / doting and see if xp going faster for you.

if it is safer for you to use that merc all is good as well :)
  9. Canardvc Lorekeeper

You do not need a paid membership to join a guild.
  10. Buri Augur

No, paid membership is not a requirement except maybe for the highest raiding guilds. My guild doesn't require it, but it is kind of expected to have that and all the expansions. Without paid membership, you can't use the higher rank spells, can't wear raid gear, severely limited in AA's... In other words, you wouldn't be able to keep up with everyone else in ability/durability. Practically all of our regular members are all-access all the time.
  11. Leslie Reid New Member

I completely understand that & have no problem with paying for a subscription when I get to a higher level & it is more needed. I just want to a better feel for the game since it's been so long & I'm out of practice before paying.
  12. Zamiam Augur

all the way up thru CoTF Raid T1 was not prestige .. TDS and up is .. wonder why they changed it .. ? I would of thought it was because it was all f2p included now , however TDS is now f2p and still its raid gear is prestige ..

prolly all the die hard raid peeps complaining about how they shouldnt have to fight for gear with f2p peeps :p

fyi I don't raid so I dont care
  13. Sagarmatha Augur

It's not what a lot of players want to hear, but consider making a free account for boxing. I played a Shaman for many years, and solo'd a LOT, but once I made a box account it was much more fun. I rolled a Bard (which is painfully easy to box), and hired a healer merc. Combined with a J5 tank on my Shaman, I was surprised with what I could take down. My heals alone were sufficient for most unnamed mobs, so I would switch the Bard's merc to DPS.

OF COURSE, I fell madly in love with the Bard class, and now she's a proud, gold status, raid ready machine. Everyone should have a Bard in their life, even if it's just a box. I can't believe how much I love tracking and pulling with the Bard, and the occasional, "oh , need to mez" moments that the Bard handles with ease.

As for Shaman, they are crazily powerful with enough investment. Once you fully understand how to utilize every AA and synergy with the other classes, a Shaman is truly something to behold. Get your 2.0 as soon as possible. Stay with Shaman; you will be able to solo, even at 110, and if you choose to box you will be able to accomplish much, much more.
  14. Buri Augur

I'm set up the same, Bard main with healer merc, and SHM bot (my first main) with a tank merc. Now granted, I RARELY need to solo/molo/box because I have a great fellowship and I almost always have a real group... and I can tank most stuff with the bard anyway as long as the Shammy doesn't get too dotty, but it is a good combo.
  15. Wuddane Elder

Starting in TDS, there was only one tier of raid gear. I believe that when an expansion had four tiers, the first two were non-prestige, and if only 2 or 3 tiers then only tier 1 was non-prestige. I think that is correct...they never changed anything!