Returning player, level 70

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Arvydys, Jun 8, 2013.

1. Arvydys New Member

Contemplating making a return to EQ (I blame EQ Next for this, and I like exploration and there is so much in EQ I havent seen now)

I have a 70 Ranger and 70 wiz. Never was much of a boxer (dabbled with it here and there. mostly low level ldons) but can probably set up a one computer/ 2 screen setup to box the Ranger and Wiz together, with the Ranger being the main. His gear is a hodgepodge of Elemental, some minor OoW raid drops (mobs like Velitorkin) and some DoN cultural. i think even a Vex Thal drop or two. So not particularly well geared or AA'd.

Im assuming grouping at these levels is rare and at the very least i want to grind out some AAs. I would also prefer newer content over older content and maybe work towards some gear that will be fun to acquire along the way even if it may be easily replaced at 90+.

What kind of merc set up would be ideal and what zones should I be looking at?
  2. Borek-VS Augur

Depends on your AAs, largely. You are past the level range where a tank merc is ideal for everyone, although one might work for bottom feeding in old zones still (the Hole temple, if you can find the camp free, for example). So I'd look for a healer for the ranger, and caster dps for the wizard (if you bother with a merc at all, given that wizards can still solo ok at that level). If you want to box them together, healer and tank mercs work with any combo.

Check ZAM for Defiant gear to see what easy upgrades are available. For newer content, look at the Hero's Journey in the /achievements window, and check the rewards offered. The TBS aug quests (Jonas Dagmire's Skeletal Hand) are the logical content for you, although there are some things in The Serpents Spine, including some of the better kiting areas for the wizard (Icefall Glacier).
    Shackler2013 likes this.
  3. idej Augur

To be honest the game has had big changes and it may be more beneficial to start two new characters to get used to it. Then once you get comfortable switch to the higher characters and enjoy the game play. Nothing is more of a debbie downer than coming back excited and dying 8 or 9 times because you are not used to it. It takes away the excitement fast and will push you away.
    Shackler2013 likes this.
  4. Wuttever Augur

Personally, I don't think starting new characters is any advantage. It is good if you want to play different characters, of course. But if you are happy with the ones you have, playing them is just as good for relearning the game as starting anything new. And, to me, feels better.

You can go kill grey things if you want, although I suspect you won't need to do that any more than a few hours at most. And a few hours killing greys to get used to things again is really no different than playing a new character. So I've found anyway.

When I came back from a break once, about the time they put in defiant gear, I just went and farmed some greys for a day to see what they were dropping. And there is so much new tradeskill stuff, you can farm that for days.

Good luck, and good hunting.
  5. Borek-VS Augur

Putting a new character through the tutorial is a good refresher. Depending on how long you have been away, there may be a lot of new mechanics to get used to. You will be doing all this in a new environment, so you won't be tempted to take your old characters to their old haunts (there may be better around), and all this without feeling any risk or insecurity about your old, loved characters.
  6. Sebbina Augur

You could hire a tank merc and a healer merc, and go to an old zone like Droga, mobs top out at 60-61 so you could farm AA, plat , gems, some intricate gear drops which might be better then you have. As you are both level 70, you could just get back into the groove there, and use the funds to acquire elegant armor. Better idea level to 71 and farm your AA/Plat and buy Othni gear, Heritage revamps should be up soon and the market will flood with economical 71-76 gear, which will be better then anything you have. With decent gear at 71, you can box to 80 , if you have the nerve to do so could grind to 85, Glowing Reis armor is 85 req and may also be very cheap once Crushbone revamp goes full on and the gear from there is roughly equal to Rustic armor. I don't have a high end wizard, but do know that rangers can Headshot for good AA, and do well in some zones where they can hunt a lot of HS able mobs. Getting to 90+ and acquiring Rain of Fear armor will take some time as you are going to want a boost in the AA count. The thing is to set some minor goals, and as you achieve them set new ones, and of course have fun along the way.
  7. Ello-prexus Journeyman

68.5 wiz here having the same problem. Looking for a solong spot with non-summoning mobs for either root/nuke or quad kiting
  8. Marcos New Member

If I remember correctly, around level 68 I was quadding in Halls of Honor or spiders in The Hive from DoDH expac.

[IMG][IMG]
  9. Borek-VS Augur

Remember that Halls of Honor has (and for several years) the odd summoner/non-snareable running the main circuits outside; the basements and side building are usually safer. There's always Plane of Fire tables (if it's not being headshot), and various newer spots like Icefall and Valdeholm pit.
  10. Ello-prexus Journeyman

are there any newer zones that have non-summoning mobs that I can go root & nuke til I get my sea legs back?
  11. CrazyLarth Augur

12. Borek-VS Augur

I'd recommend older zones if you want something easier to remind yourself, although at 70 you are leaving the range of old zones with useful experience. The ones I suggested (Icefall, Valdeholm) are relatively new without being too far over your level. Newer spots would mean Dragonscale Hills, The Buried Sea, or the lower SoD zones (Kithicor, Oceangreen). As always, some mobs summon, but most don't.