Returning player advice

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Adnachiel, Jan 2, 2022.

1. Adnachiel New Member

Good morning!

I am returning to EQ live and playing on FV. I haven't played on live since PoP/LDoN, though have played TLPs so am at least familiar with some of the changes since then. My question seeking advice from the more learned and traveled, is on class.

1) My goal is to level and see the content I missed, because my god there is a lot I haven't seen! Ideally, each would be worth at least some experience? I also really enjoyed trade skilling so am certain I will play with that too. With the goal of exploration and going through content, is there any kind of ranking that might help with that? I am especially looking forward to seeing re-imagined and recreated zones of the old stuff.

2) Are any expansions better than others for any reasons? I get this is subjective, but interested in hopes to prioritize my path.

*Side note: I have a heroic character option on my account and am strongly considering using it, so that is an option. Though I'm not opposed to normal leveling at all.

thanks!
  2. Trevor Elder

you want a pet class to solo with, and there are pros and cons to all 3 of them

necromancer is going to be the best at soloing at most points

if you want to see everything you missed then you probably don't want to skip expansions at all, but one thing to note is that underfoot at 85 was considered overtuned, so you may want to avoid that expansion until you're above the level range
    picasso and Adnachiel like this.
  3. Malkavius Augur

Typically while leveling everything is pretty close as far as expansions go for exp. Very few stand out things you could make money off of except like raid mobs that are pretty much locked down 24/7 so people can sell for insane prices heh. I would also say necro is good for exploring and just having a smooth leveling experience. I do not think heroic character is going to be fun for you at all just coming back. Lvl 85 with tooooons of stuff you have no idea what does what it's overwhelming for most people.

I would say level a character first then once you get the hang of it if you decide you want to do some research make a heroic.
  4. Iven the Lunatic

Just read the threads in this newbie subforum and you will get answers ! I guess you have not done so yet.
  5. Venjenz_vox Venjenz_bertoxx

Assuming gold account:
    • Do all of Gloomingdeep, even the optional stuff.
    • Go to PoK and do all of the tutorial quests. Free bag, house, aug, etc.
    • When you get to Crescent Reach, start doing the Heroic Journey. In fact, make hotbuttons for both the Heroic Journey and Achievements. You'll refer to both frequently
    • Do the beginner tradeskill quests that your class can. Nothing wrong with a free 54 in a tradeskill for about 5 minutes of clicking and standing in one place.
    • Have fun.
    As far as what class, if you are going to solo/molo, and in no particular order: BRD, BST, ENC, MAG, NEC, SK. Those would all be the easiest moloers imho. I have a BRD and NEC and both are fun, easy, and very capable.
    CatsPaws likes this.
  6. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Just curious why you suggest he should be Gold? We can do all that as F2P too. That way one gets the hang of it before they start paying.

Rangers are the easiest to solo.:p
    Treage_Imminent likes this.
  7. Jumbur Improved Familiar

After the newbie tradeskill quests in crescent reach, you should try to do the tradeskill trophies. They are much easier when your skill is low, so do them before you skill up any further: https://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/npc.html?id=20284
    :)
  8. Jivunar New Member

Probably for the merc, a J1 merc stands head and shoulders above what is available as a ftp, think the max they can do is apprentice 2 or 3, which is even worse than when they started at apprentice 5. Also a gold account autogrants you AAs every level once they become available.
    Typically what is suggested is to go as far as you can as ftp to reach a high level, and then sub for a month, get all the autogrant AAs, wear all the prestige gear and use the clickies for the perm buffs and go hard on AAs till you max them out.
    An east combo is Mag/BRd, or SK/BRD. A shaman and enc on the side for buffs is also nice, but some might consider more than 2 chars starting to become a hassle. Like others have said, Nec is also solid choice.
    Ranger is easy to box, but solo, idk.....
  9. Venjenz_vox Venjenz_bertoxx

JMerc, primarily. Beyond that, bit faster exp, few other minor QoL things.
  10. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Agree on the merc thing but the only decent mercs are the J5 at level 75 or 85 - can go paid then and also do Auto Grant at the same time.

I have never seen any faster experience on an All Access account compared to a F2P or Silver.

I feel the access to general chat is the best thing about being All Access. Even if you don't participate in it at least feels like I am not alone in this basement.
    LadyKagan likes this.
  11. Bailen Augur

Mercs are pretty powerful compared to the mobs at lower levels. With a J1 merc, you'll be a one man group, really. It's not until around level 80 that it changes. If you want to play through some of the old areas with a new character, it's great, especially since its so hard to find groups at the lower levels. Coming back and starting a new character, I've been able to go through some tough areas with a warrior merc.