Returning and not boxing

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Dimsumm, Nov 12, 2015.

1. Dimsumm New Member

Hi everyone
    I played classic EQ until GoD, now i'm back for more.
    Though i never boxed nor am i willing to. I currently playing on P1999 and it's awesome, appart that it won't progress past Velious. Is there room for a player like me on Vox or Ragefire, or should i wait for more news about a "no box" server.
  2. kraggnar Elder

Lockjaw just opened kunark and will be there about 6 more months.. come on over
  3. Maqar New Member

Hi,
    also considering to return to my first MMO love, which was EQ. It's really been a while since I quit, I think my last expansion was LDON or something. So, this Lockjaw Server... Is it as I remember EQ, meaning no Mercenaries, no gates for everyone, no groups without a good enchanter etc? That would sound promising.
  4. code-zero Augur

Given what the OP said I think that FV would be a good server as there'll be a lot of gear that can be purchased from the bazaar to help filling in the gaps over time
  5. kraggnar Elder

MAQAR Yes to everything but must have an enchanter, though most groups would prefer them.
  6. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

It's not going to be what you remember EQ as Maqar. Simply put, it is not possible for DBG to actually recreate the servers and the limitations as they were then. There are a lot of differences, and while DBG has done its best to artificially restrict the changes so that the game is very similar to what it was back then, it is not possible for them to make it the same without creating a separate client and download server specifically for those servers.

As for the OP, Dim, I would say that you could do just fine on any server. Ragefire and Lockjaw will have everyone in the 1-60 level range, but choosing not to box on the normal servers won't be that detrimental to you. You will simply need to go out and build a network of friends to group with as well as joining a guild; also be willing to take the initiative and start groups yourself instead of waiting to be invited to one.
  7. Maqar New Member

First of all, my apologies to the OP for hijacking your thread, but I think it was a related topic and didn't want to start another one.

Thanks for your answers guys. Meanwhile I made my enchanter on Lockjaw and I must admit that after being away from EQ for more than ten years, I had forgotten how painful a chanter is to play during the first levels. Well, I am a mighty level FIVE now and it seems highelves like me did not ruin my own land meanwhile, The Faydark is almost as I remember it ;-) Sweet memories.

I do agree that the game is not exactly as it used to be, but that is fine. I surely won't complain about having an ingame map now. Have some mixed feelings about respawning fully equipped after death though.

So all I need now would be a nice guild who would take an old and almost retired player, any suggestions? :)
    Morefuzz likes this.
  8. kraggnar Elder

Shoot me a tell in-game.
  9. Artroz New Member

Thanks for starting this thread. I played originally right after Kunark opened. I played a cleric on CT with a casual raiding guild for several years. I have recently completed college (as a middle aged adult) and have some hours to kill...I mean play. The progression servers sound like a great opportunity. It seems like a great way to get back into the game without being a decade behind the learning curve.
  10. Deano New Member

Welcome back!

I started playing EQ almost day 1, and left shortly after Ruins of Kunark. So this LockJaw server that i'm on is AWESOME! I started a Necro, and am currently level 12. Wish more people would play because it's still a ghost town in a lot of early zones/dungeons. And without a guild it's hard to get groups.
    Everyone in /General chat is very friendly and helpful though.

Seems like alot of people are selling game time for plat to get good gear at low level. And it's something I'll probably do this weekend to help with the early level-no group having-no guild having-grind.
  11. Maqar New Member

Kraggnar, I tried yesterday but couldn't see you online. Deano, if you need an enchanter about your level in your journeys, let me know. I am not a huge fan of disturbing ingame economy by real money transfers, doesn't go well in most cases. Besides, I have no idea what I should buy anyway. But it is funny to see, that people still offer the same items in chat they did 15 years ago. I just wish I had my old account, max level on a few chars. But well, slaying orcs again and getting owned by D'Vinn brings back some memories.
  12. Grove Augur

That account is still around and your characters as you left them. They will have some veterans rewards that are worthwhile.
  13. Maqar New Member

Thanks Grove. I assume you are right, but honestly even thinking about what email adress I might have used for the account 16 years ago gives me a headache. Besides, my chars were post-Kunark and I am not sure how well that would work on Lockjaw, if they could even be transferred. My old server was Solusek Ro, which doesn't seem to exist anymore.
  14. Borek-VS Augur

You can't transfer to (or from) the TLP servers, and veteran rewards won't be available there for some years. Sol Ro characters were transferred to Bristlebane some years ago (see: Where are my characters?/Server Merges).