Returning after 13 years - Looking for some tips

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Zeelot, Nov 26, 2019.

1. Zeelot Elder

I just came back to check out the game after being away 13 years. Last I played was during dragons of norrath. My character is an omens of war / dragons of norrath raid geared SK. Since coming back the other day I've been grinding levels solo in Dragonscale Hills with little issue and just got 74.

There's so much new content that I didn't know where to start and just went straight into grinding exp. Should I just keep grinding here in my current gear and wait to upgrade? Or is there something else I should be doing that would be better.
  2. Eggolas Augur

You have so many ways to go, depending on your situation and style of play. So, if you don't mind a few questions:
    1. Are you all access?
    2. Are you in a guild?
    3. Do you want to raid again?
    4. What server are you on?
    5. Have you claimed your veteran's rewards?
    6. Have you claimed your starting package? (includes some defiant pieces for your level and some experience potions that will come in handy at level 109).

Generally, the live servers have a 105-110 heavy player base and it is difficult to get groups for lower level content. Sometimes, being in an active guild helps. Your raid equipment should be surpassed shortly if not already by defiant gear, which came out in 2007 (Secrets of Faydwer) as a means of helping returning players to "catch up."

At level 75, you will be able to join in Heroic Adventures, which require a minimum of three toons. A guild will help immensely. These are excellent experience for lower level characters and also result in earning currency that can get you some gear and decent augments.

If you are all access and decide to skip the next 10 levels, you can purchase with DB cash an heroic upgrade. Then go hit House of Thule for possibly the best expansion ever produced for pure enjoyment, IMO. Or . . . head to the new TLP server starting in HoT.
  3. Zeelot Elder

I just got all access, not in a guild yet and am interested in raiding eventually. I am on the Rathe server.

I claimed my veteran AA rewards. How do I claim starting package?
  4. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

type in a chat window (in-game) /claim
    Some things you'll get to claim 999 times, so you can delete characters and get them again, and so forth.
    Things you only get one of, choose wisely.
  5. Eggolas Augur

Glad you are on Rathe. I'll likely be on sometime late this afternoon or early evening. Look me up. Or message me in game with your character's name. Or here.

You are not stuck on the server by the way. You can transfer off or start another character elsewhere. Getting to 75 is not difficult these days and there is always the heroic character 85 start if you wish.
  6. Zeelot Elder

Thanks for the tips :) My in game name is Zeelott. I am in Asia timezone (JST), but if we catch each other at some point would be great.
    Eggolas likes this.
  7. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

#1 get some maps. The Best is Goods maps by Goodurden ( https://drive.google.com/drive/fold...dhczhaemU5Skp0U2xRY29EQkpoalRHYjduRzNrYmx6R2c) and Brewells http://www.eqmaps.info/eq-map-files/ maps. They are very easy to download but if you need help there are U tube videos on how to do it.

Until you decide which guild you want to join - there is now an in game guild that will allow you to use the port feature which is handy to get around http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/quest.html?quest=8451 you can leave it whenever you want, no officers, etc.

Usually we suggest to make a new level 1 and run thru the basic quests in the Gloomingdeep tutorial - should take about an hour or less if you just stick to the ones about augs, mercs, grouping etc. - Don't really need to go thru the whole line of killing spiders etc.

Then continue with the lady mentioned in the guild quest that I linked- that line is called "Out of gloomingdeep" and can be done by your current level character. She is in POK and should be on find.

Both of these quests will teach you a lot of what is new and get you some free stuff

In addition to your vet rewards you also have max loyalty points. See the loyalty vendor who stands next to the tutorial "out of gloomingdeep" lady. You will be maxed and not able to earn more points until you spend some. Buy some token of resurection or a vicious rabbit or whatever. Since you are a paid account now you should look at bags of plat for about 430 tokens and those will net you between 11k-16k plat. Free accounts cannot buy those bags.

I suggest NOT to buy gear with the tokens or not even to buy gear in the /baz. Gear drops a lot so save your plat till you around level 100 and want to look at some conflag. You will outgrow gear very fast now days.
    Eggolas likes this.
  8. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Def number 1 thing to do is join a guild & once you reach level 75 see if anyone is willing to help you to acquire your Journeyman Tier 5 Healer Merc, this will make time playing alone far easier.
  9. Zeelot Elder

Thanks for the advice. I just got 75 and will start working on it.