Resisting Dots

Discussion in 'Hybrid' started by Kaiara, Jul 23, 2013.

1. Kaiara New Member

Has anyone noticed that the beastlord dots are resisted an awful lot? I'm level 100 with all my dot aa's maxed out, and i get a ton of resists. I am not asking for more dots, or more powerful ones, I'm happy with that. But the amount of time they are resisted is REDICULOUS! I was hunting in Chelsith with an 83 necro. None of the necro's dots were resisted, but every one i cast had to be recast 2-3x before it would take. And they are short lived dots, so the mana useage is crazy here.
  2. Recnarp Augur

I haven't loaded a dot since... I can't remember. Dots do terrible dps, they activate the global recast, and are highly resistible. There are times during my rotation where an opportunity to use 1 dot presents itself when every nuke is down, but the troubles of using dots makes me disregard them every time.
    Noobieguy likes this.
  3. Stubar Augur

We have DoTs?
  4. Brosa Augur

I have one DoT in my lineup that I use...../scratch head .....well....hardly ever. It gets resisted half the time.
  5. Kaylord101 Elder

hmm i use my dots all the time, then im 3 boxing, i have all 3 of them in my spell line up and all my nukes to. I normally pull with a dot and cast it once or twice again while they are running to the camp.

I dont use slow on group trash.

but yes, they seem to get resisted 50/50 of the time.
  6. Greyowl Augur

Wonder why DoTs do "terrible dps" ?

Comparing
    Poantaars Bite (lvl98): Decrease HP by 8391 for 1648 mana to
    Asp Blood (lvl96): Decrease HP for 908 + 7x1458 = 11114 for 1132 mana.

So, if a fight lasts -lets say 50secs- so that the DoT isnt capped, the DoT is more efficient than the nuke, no ?

And yes, resist rates are massive, above guessed 50% seem about right, even with all "DoT AAs" maxed. Only DoT that works nicely is "Bite of the Asp" - the AA one.
  7. Zunar Augur

Poantaar's Bite is probably our least mana efficient nuke of the lot, but yes, dots are sometimes more damage/per mana spent.
    That damage, however is laughably low and accumulates at such a slow rate, it's not worth using them imo. You're talking about 500dps at best (with good focus and all AAs), with lost time & mana from resists and global spell recast timer.
    Comparing the two for the dps factor though, Poantaar's Bite wins hands down.
    In the time it takes for the DoT spell to wear off, you get to cast the nuke 3 times, so...
    I have to say I agree with Stubar.
  8. Izcurly Augur

Necros have better resist adjusts on their dots than we do.

Still, there are occasions when DoT's are useful simply because it's dps you can cast while in motion (along with some of our AA buttons)...even at a full gallop on a mount...or sliding on ice, while charging into battle, being chain-summoned by multiple mobs, etc.

And it's more than 500 dps from Asp Blood, at least for me, with focuses and AA and a typical dps group. Here's a case where I needed to save my fast nukes to blow away barrels when they popped. A single cast of Asp Blood produced 46287 damage.

[Fri Mar 08 17:51:55 2013] High Priest Syltetzalvek has taken 7152 damage from your Asp Blood Rk. II.
    [Fri Mar 08 17:52:01 2013] High Priest Syltetzalvek has taken 3698 damage from your Asp Blood Rk. II.
    [Fri Mar 08 17:52:07 2013] High Priest Syltetzalvek has taken 6338 damage from your Asp Blood Rk. II.
    [Fri Mar 08 17:52:13 2013] High Priest Syltetzalvek has taken 3184 damage from your Asp Blood Rk. II.
    [Fri Mar 08 17:52:19 2013] High Priest Syltetzalvek has taken 3093 damage from your Asp Blood Rk. II.
    [Fri Mar 08 17:52:25 2013] High Priest Syltetzalvek has taken 2986 damage from your Asp Blood Rk. II.
    [Fri Mar 08 17:52:31 2013] High Priest Syltetzalvek has taken 3580 damage from your Asp Blood Rk. II.
    [Fri Mar 08 17:52:37 2013] High Priest Syltetzalvek has taken 5790 damage from your Asp Blood Rk. II.
    [Fri Mar 08 17:52:43 2013] High Priest Syltetzalvek has taken 3884 damage from your Asp Blood Rk. II.
    [Fri Mar 08 17:52:49 2013] High Priest Syltetzalvek has taken 6582 damage from your Asp Blood Rk. II.

Even on a normal raid mob, I'll often throw a DoT on at the beginning, simply because it'll wear off before necros can land their full load of dots. Which is the REAL reason for most not to DoT in raids...there's only so many dots that can be put on the mob, and necros have better ones.
    Noobieguy likes this.
  9. Noobieguy Augur

I have 1 dot memmed, use it to pull or when all the nukes are still on refresh timer. Annoying that it does activate the recast timer (On my Beastlord of course)
  10. Stubar Augur

Everyone is entitled to their play style, however I'd wager that any beastlord that burns for 150k+ and sustains 50-60k doesn't have a DoT in their spell weave.

With the resists and global cool down, they have done nothing but hurt my dps. When I do hit that lock out on my 5 nukes, I'll cast feralgia (depending on the situation of course). It's guaranteed not to be resisted.

I've already kneed Apex in the groin cuz he asked for a cold dot just to troll me.
  11. Brosa Augur

This isn't a discussion on what is more dps for your mana is it? It's simple. You cast more nukes in the time a DoT runs its course. Equaling more dps. With the cool down on your DoTs, as Zunar said, you are missing opportunities to cast your nukes. Stubar has it down pat.
    If its mana your concerned about you either do not have enough AA (mana regen/return aa not maxed) or your not managing your Paragons and Cani properly.
  12. Izcurly Augur

The original question was about landing DoT's, not about dps. I think I'm the only one who even bothered to address the original question. Everyone else was off on their own tangent.

DoT's are situational tools, never said they were burning tools. There are times when DPS isn't the answer to everything. I gave an example above.
  13. Greyowl Augur

Putting "to dot or not to dot" aside, we all agree the resist rate seems very high.

Question is, is it an overview by the devs (low resist checks), some kind of bug, or meant like that ?
    I feel (havent parsed), that i didnt have those probs at around lvl 85 in HoT. Actually, for me it started in VoA and remains in RoF / HoF.

First I thought i "just" got to lvl up the Focus of Animus line, but after i maxed it, i see no difference at all.
    I dont even see a difference between resists on Edoth's Chill and Natigo's Endemic or Asp Blood - even tho there should be cause of maxed Focus of Animus.
  14. Stubar Augur

My intention wasn't to derail the thread with a DPS comparison, it was only to reiterate that the constant resists only fortify my view on the use of DoTs.

AA chat is just around the corner, someone may want to bring it up.
  15. Apex Elder

Ask for a Disease nuke with a DoT recourse? you got it boss
    Stubar likes this.
  16. Greyowl Augur

Gonna ask for a Focus of Animus AA line, that

a) does have an effect, and
    b) include cold from now on.
  17. Stubar Augur

I <3 baby!
  18. Recnarp Augur

Watis'Dis Sheet
    1: Increase Hitpoints by 0