Fixed Reset device () failed worse than ever!

Discussion in 'Resolved' started by Sarrwin, Aug 26, 2023.

1. Pikollo Augur

I dunno. Happens on two computers at various times. Its always when I turn a monitor off. Or when I start a program and it flickers for admin rights. Its not just monitors.
  2. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

I get this when I am running EQ normally using the launcher. If I run EverQuest using InnerSpace for boxing I never see this. Ever. Maybe has something to do with being able to force the game to think it's full screen even when it's not?

Nvidia GPU with Geforce experience removed and RTX Desktop Manager disabled.
  3. Joules_Bianchi A certain gnome

This is totally not what causes this though. montors here never go to sleep, have no sound on at all, not even speakers plugged in on this machine-

What does happen is the windowed resolution data is not being correctly held when in fullscreen mode, alt tab or alt ecape then freezes. If you are in full screen mode and look at display and soo resolution, then swap to windowed mode, sometimes that data is wiped / blank / missing. This causes the hang.

It also happens not 1 minute into having logged in. No time for any sleep mode.

Every time it has happened to me, it was the missing (or reset to 640) resolution setting while running 1080- There is a thread on this (and has been for years) on P1999 forums. They are correct.
  4. Joules_Bianchi A certain gnome

There is also a known issue with windows taskbar preview / aeropeek itself that can cause this same fault. Something in how directx handles fullscreen and aero peek refresh. the static image on the taslbar preview typically shows the character select screen / fist image. If that data cache drops it also breaks. When it happens, the static image placeholder on the taskbar preview window is black.
    Metanis likes this.
  5. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

Just happened to me, no clue why. Was on live on one account, logged into beta on another. Both working normally. Alt tabbed over from beta to live and live crashed with this error.
  6. Yoda Journeyman

Have seen this Reset Device error on multiple PC's over the last week or so. I have tired repatching but still got the error.
  7. Subpoena Journeyman

+1, I have 1 machine with no issues 6 boxing, another machine that I can't even risk it because the crashes (or black screens that never go away) happens so frequently now.
  8. Yoda Journeyman

Will add that this is happening on both AMD graphics PC's as well as NVIDIA graphics PC's.
    CatsPaws likes this.
  9. Wanuven Lorekeeper

Any update on this? There’s nothing for the December patch that I see addressing this
  10. Pikollo Augur

Will this be snuck into the patch tomorrow?
  11. Ratalthor Developer

Has the issue improved since the latest update?
  12. Wanuven Lorekeeper

I logged in very briefly just now, repeated alt + tabs and Alt + Enters. windows were cycling properly and I didn't crash. Previously it was a 100% crash rate for alt + Tab
    Metanis and Cairbrae like this.