Researching Spells on Phinny?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Hadesborne, Jan 24, 2018.

1. Hadesborne Augur

I don't understand why we cannot make PoP era spells in OOW. It was stated that we cannot make the spells until 3 expansions later. Well OOW is 3 expansions after POP. This should be available. PoP>LDoN>GoD>OOW
  2. Hadesborne Augur

This also means we should be able to make GoD era spells in DoDh.
  3. Darchon_Xegony Augur

You forgot to count LoY.
  4. Hadesborne Augur

LoY was bundled with PoP and, as such, wouldn't be counted.
  5. Hadesborne Augur

That also means we should be able to research LDoN spells in DoN
  6. Hadesborne Augur

We currently are in DoN era and cannot make PoP spells
  7. Nolrog Augur

Doesn't work that way. When they came out on Phini is irrelevant. It still counts as an expansion.
    snailish likes this.
  8. Aziuno Augur

@OP - If you are looking for the spells, PoP/LDON are on the merchants in PoK cheaper than if you were able to make them yourself.

If you are saying Research needs to be revisited as it is not aligning up with what was promised, I agree.

Personally, I think once an expansion is past, you should be able to craft the spells. This would actually make the trade skill of value, without totally circumventing the bottleneck of 'earning your spells' in era.
  9. Hadesborne Augur

I don't need spells. What I DO need to do Is raise my research skill past 243. The only way to do that currently is to make spells. The PoP era recipes should be craftable by OOW, the LDoN era recipes should be craftable by DoN (where we are now), and the GoD era recipes should be craftable by DoDH.
  10. Accipiter Old Timer

I'm ignorant about the research tradeskill past Kunark. How can research benefit you now or later?
    snailish likes this.
  11. MaxTheLion Augur

It's like 60 Achievement points if you get it to 300. I can't see anybody getting a date, much less a long term relationship if you don't have the points to showoff.
  12. Accipiter Old Timer

And that gets you...?
  13. Juzam Djinn Elder

You can just buy all your pop spells now in POK as of Gates of discord
  14. Ravanta Suffer Augur

I don't play on Phinny, but on Agnarr that bit in the patch notes a while back about spell research only working until three expansions had past was not correct. It was rather ominous at the time, since we were still in classic at that time. It made many of us think that we would not be able to research Kunark and Velious spells.

But when Kunark launched, we were. There were a very small number of exceptions (such as yaulp iv) that we could not research, but they were mostly spells that were available to multiple classes and one class did not get the spell until a later expansion. (Yaulp 4 is not available to paladins until Luclin) Group DMF could not be researched, and still can't be. When Kunark launched it was the first spell I tried, and when it didn't work I assumed that it would work when Velious launched as the chardok revamp that introduced group dmf came out right before Velious. Velious launched, and it still could not be researched so I'm guessing they hard nerfed the combine entirely.

In kunark research, just like on classic there were a few spells that could be researched (and scribed/used) even though they were from a later expansion. Nothing overly powerful or anything, the best one was arguably the Luclin enchanter nuke.

From the perspective of an Agnarr player, the only change that seemed to impact us is that sooty fine runic papyruses don't exist on Agnarr. That means no level 60 spells could be researched. It's a shame really, since the best spells are almost always level 60, and many of them are kinda hard to obtain.

I think that the patch notes referring to not being able to make spells until 3 expansions have passed may only refer to SPECIFIC spells (such as group dmf) or perhaps those notes are just patently incorrect. Of course there is the possibility that the changes mentioned in that patch just simply didn't impact Agnarr at all.

Were there any spells that could be researched on Phinny, and when that patch came out, could not be? If so, was it all research from that era, or just certain spells?
  15. Communist Puppy Augur

Need 200+ research skill to make mechaniotablets for lastbloods.
  16. Ravanta Suffer Augur

The instructions for Last Bloods are trivial at 231. You can get to 243 research skill just from making parchment solutions. You don't need to make a single PoP, Luclin, or Velious spell to get 243 skill. Also, you would be better off making parchment solutions instead of spells as saltpeter/crystallized sulfur is easier to get in mass quantity than the ingredients to make spells are. Making solutions is not cheap due to the vendor cost of the gems/metal bars, but they sell back to the vendor very well.
    snailish likes this.
  17. snailish Augur

I (and likely many others) would appreciate an informed answer to this question in respects to progression servers.

(It seems like most things go onto PoK vendor before you can research them. Research is tedious if not expensive to level --or at least that is the perception. Some things appear to never be researchable [not a problem, though it seems unpredictable?], granted I don't spend much time in Commonlands on Agnarr, but I can't recall the last time I saw someone selling researched spells --and Agnarr doesn't have PoK vendors yet).
  18. Ravanta Suffer Augur

Accipiter said:
    “I'm ignorant about the research tradeskill past Kunark. How can research benefit you now or later?”
    Agnarr is currently in Velious, but Luclin is coming out in just a few days.

The current status of research on Agnarr is that it is useful, except for level 60 spells. Sooty Fine Runic Papyrus's do not drop on Agnarr, so no level 60 spells can be crafted. Among the lower level spells, there are only a few spells that cannot be crafted as long as there are recipes. Group DMF cannot be combined, and there are some spells such as Yaulp IV that can also not be combined. Yaulp IV is level 53 for clerics, but it is level 60 for Paladins, and Paladins also normally can't scribe it until Luclin. (The recipe for the spell uses the level 53 shabby fine spell scroll) I suspect that group dmf will never be researchable on Agnarr. With Luclin coming out in a few days, a big question guilds have of course is whether or not remove greater curse will be researchable. I've been told that on Phinny, the spell was originally able to be researched but it was nerfed later, to not be researchable.
    snailish likes this.
  19. Hadesborne Augur

I have already done exactly what you have said to raise my skill to 243. I just want it above 250 or even 300. PoR comes out soon and I want to be able to do my Artisan trophies. If I start the process now, it MAY get fixed by then.
  20. Ravanta Suffer Augur

Communist Puppy's post was only concerned with making last bloods, and made no mention of any recipe that had a skill higher than that.

I'll also mention that I have never played on Phinny. My experience with research in the era that Phinny is currently in, is from live. A lot has changed with research since then.

As far as their being any adjustments to research made by the devs...don't get your hopes up. All they have done with research in the last few years has been nerf it.