[Request] Different keybinds per character

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Mikana, Aug 25, 2023.

1. Mikana Augur

Several of my toons have a mash key, which is bound to various spells/AAs, but the number of keys and the order isn't consistent between characters.

At the moment, it appears the keybinds are all stored in the eqclient.ini file, which means that all toons played share the same keymappings.

Could this be moved to the individual UI_character_server.ini file, to enable us to have distinct sets of keybinds per toon?

Or, to extend the idea, keep the "base" set of keybinds in eqclient.ini, and add over them any additional binds on a per-character basis.
    Yinla, Rijacki, Petalonyx and 5 others like this.
  2. Zalamyr Augur

There are fancy workarounds for this involving symbolic links or 3rd party programs, although I just started having a separate EQ folder for each character. The game's small enough drive space isn't really a concern these days.

With that said, I agree, this should definitely be a baseline feature. It doesn't seem like it'd be all that complicated to implement either. WoW, for example, just has a checkbox in the keybind section on whether you want them to be character specific or not.
  3. Vumad Cape Wearer

One work around is to use hotbars bound to the same key. So every slot on that hotbar has the same key bind. This doesn't force the same order as a true multibind but it does work.

The advantage of this is that you can also keybind the changing of hotbar pages. I'll give an example...

If every key in hotbar 1 is bound to 1, and every key in hotbar 2 is bound to 2, I can in a way multibind up to 10 skills.

However, I can set hotbar 1 page 2 and hotbar 2 page 2 to CTRL+SHIFT+2. Pressing this key command changes all affected hot bards to page 2, or 3, or etc.

How's this good?

First, multibinds become per character.

But also, what is being bound is per page.

In application, my DRU plays both DPS and Healer. CTRL + SHIFT + 2 switches all hotbars to Healing layouts while CTRL + SHIFT + 3 shifts all my hotbars to DPS Layouts.

This can also be used for classes to switch between single target and AE layouts SO YOU STOP BREAKING ALL THE MEZES WTF IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE!?!?!?!
  4. Petalonyx Augur

Something is terribly wonky among the hotbar keybinds on many of the characters i play (I box 4, and have many alts that i mix/match).

It's like some key multibinds are activating abilities that aren't linked on the hotbar/multibind for that character.

Is the issue in the OP what is causing this?