Remove the spell bar

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Gringot, Apr 30, 2013.

1. Gringot Journeyman

Would this be over powered or would it be fine and welcomed?

No more spell bar. Spells no longer have to be memmed. All spells are cast via hot button. I.E. /castspell "Wizardy Nuke Rk. III"
    Axxius and Retro like this.
  2. Hatsee Augur

This would make a lot of sense with how Aristo seems to be doing spells.

I vote yes.
    Dre., Sinestra and Shang like this.
  3. Cicelee Augur

As much as I think this is a good idea, I must say no. There is some small strategy, if you will, to decide what spells to keep memorized. I am sure necromancers would love this, but I am sure if this happens some sort of overpowered exploit would be found by players.

Just keep the twelve as is. Maybe add another slot or two, now that I would approve of.
  4. Qest T. Silverclaw Augur

It would increase caster power in a way that would be difficult to control. I think the current system of adding commonly-used spells as AAs is sufficient. Plus, it's something nice to spend AAs on.

Remember 8 spell gems and a book in your face?
  5. Shang Augur

What caster would it make overpowered?
  6. Malbro Augur

Put pages on the spell bar like the hotbuttons, that way you could have two or more sets loaded and just go to the necessary page to cast a spell. You'd have to do that with hotbuttons anyway.
    Sinestra likes this.
  7. Symbius Augur

I don't know how it could make casters overpowered.

It is not like they could now cast their entire spell book instantly.

Nobody in their right mind would cast a bunch of lower end spells when the new fancy big dmg spell is already refreshed and ready to be used again.
    Sinestra likes this.
  8. strongbus Augur

How would it make a caster over powered? Necros have found ways to chain cast up to 15+ dots now without letting any drop and that is with having to cast 11 or 12 and switching out 3 or 4+ casting the new one then going back and recasting the 1st set and keeping that going. That is with a max of 12 mem spells. Now that is with losing the time it take for the game to unmem and remem the switch out spells. Now think of how many dots a necro could keep going if they didn't have that lost time. In the group/solo game this would be np but in raids it be a pita and cause trouble.

I am saying this as a necro myself. As much as I would love the extra dps I could get, necros have enough issues atm casting up to15ish dots with the slot limits on mobs. Plus a host of other issues that I would guess could come up it just lead to more issues and problems.
  9. Retro Elder

Been wanting this to happen forever. It only makes sense since you can already put unlimited combat abilities on your hotkeys and not just 8, just let us drag and drop spells from our spell book to the hotkey bars. Can delete the spell gem window and just make it a vertical hotkey window , but that would kill some nostalgia. Some of my spells that will never warrant a spell slot might actually get used. There is no "exploit" that can happen since recast timers, gcd, spells on the same timer.... Just allows us to have our sets of buffs readily available since they will never be made "perfected" or persist through death.

Pretty sure eldroth already stated that certain spells will absolutely never be AA so hopes for having access to those as AA through hotbuttons is silly.

For the lonely spells....
  10. Axxius Augur

I support the OP idea. Limiting the number of spells memmed at the same has long outlived its purpose. This limit should have been let go back when dying stopped clearing your spells, mem times were standardized and spell sets were added. The limit is no longer stopping anybody from casting any number of spells they want (shining example: necros). Switching spell sets is a nuisance but not a real limitation. It's time to let the spell bar go and allow creation of hotkeys via the spellbook or the spell selection menu.
    Sinestra likes this.
  11. Ronak Augur

It's a shame melee don't face the same strategy restriction with disciplines, isn't it?
  12. Smallpox Augur

Ohhh the nightmares of the debuff limit. I can see it now.... "OK who cast that set of level 20 dots on the mob?"

Overall it is a horrible idea to remove the spell bar.
  13. Explicit Augur

Lolwat. Not even the same ballpark there, pal
  14. Ronak Augur

It was mostly said tongue in cheek. However, it's just one of the many inconsistent designs that have become commonplace in EQ as the years passed. Such as warrior disciplines being linked, but knight ones not. Or, zerkers having to hurt themselves to do DPS, when no one else has to. Or, casters facing focus decay while melee focus does not decay, etc.

I'm for the removal of all such inconsistency. By removing the silly restrictions to begin with, not adding them to more people. Just to be clear.
    Xeladom, Dre. and Explicit like this.
  15. Explicit Augur

Steps to improve gameplay for everyone - listed above. Someone implement these. Not sarcasm, for the record.
  16. Deveryn Elder

This is how spells work in EQ2. (see how clean and organized I am) There's nothing overpowered about having access to all your spells. It's just more efficient. I'd be happy with this change, but I'd really love to see buffs and such be more persistent, as they are in EQ2. If a buff lasts more than 30 minutes, I don't see why I have to redo it all the time. I'm sure I sound lazy and spoiled to some people, but it's just a matter of making life a little easier (without dumbing things down). I get to focus on what's important instead of worrying about my pet or whatever dropping in power halfway through a fight.
  17. sojuu Augur

If this was to go into effect you could say goodbye to macros. Because a macro cannot activate a hotkey. My shaman lives off macros so this would hurt me as a player a lot and I am sure it would hurt many others as well. Its nice to do everything on the monk and on the shaman I just need to target and hit one key to debuff/dot.
  18. Hatsee Augur

Or exclude the necromancers, we really wont care.
  19. Celestian Elder

I'd need more button bars for sure.
  20. strongbus Augur

not really right now melee can just do disc just by 1. dragging a icon form the combat window or 2. making a marco that has the line /disc "insert name of disc here" or something long that line. If they made it so you could 1. drag a icon form your spell book to your hot bar or 2. make a marco that saids /cast "insert spell name here" it be the same thing.