Rejoing live after a LONG time away

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Kalnr, Aug 6, 2022.

1. Kalnr New Member

Hi

Been playing eq for a long time. Live I finished around 2010ish since ebeen on EMUs on and off

Got a feeling to play live again. Gonna just start from scratch maybe on euro server as I played on tribunal before but I'm from Europe

Thinking might try tlp but really interested what the old servers are like. I mainly solo due to commitments now and would prob play either enchanter sk ranger or BL but not sure what solo play is like now (assuming good as live servers I'm assuming are top heavy.

Any advise for someone starting from scratch would be really appreciated.
  2. Sinikad New Member

Well, I just started playing again after a very long hiatus. I started in 99, played hard core until maybe 2004 or so, came and went a few times, this is an old story :)

I started again and tried TLP. I don't have time to commit to raiding guilds and such and realized that wasn't the way to go, too much time.

I started to write too much stuff but this list may help :

- You won't see much of anyone in any zone until you're over 85 or so, groups are not a thing.
    - I think you can get to level 10 in a day doing the quests at the starting city.
    - Get a merc as soon as you can. I'm not sure what level you can do this.
    - I switched back to live and picked up a level 23 SK I had, the SK got a merc, you can level to 50 in a week of consistent playing just using a melee warrior merc.
    - Don't bother with the healer merc at this level. Don't forget to throw some punches cast some spells and such or your skills will suck.
    - Depending on your class, somewhere around level 65-75 the warrior merc gets weak and you may have to switch. I switched to my 73 beast and used a cleric merc.
    - Cleric mercs can rez you, I wasn't aware of this at first. Just summon your corpse at the guild hall and revive your cleric merc.
    - Around level 75, high level buffs will land on you. I park my toon in the guild hall overnight and when I come back the next day I have like +30,000 HP and an 8000 point damage shield. This is how you level 75+. With those buffs, me my merc and my pet are stronger than any conventional group from 10 years ago.

That was maybe 3 weeks ago and my Beastlord is 88 now. I am just now starting to see other people in the zones in House of Thule. But they are mostly power levelling twinks.

EQ is totally different. This is really mostly a solo game now.
  3. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Just wanted to add, for the OP, that this is true and is good advice, but there's a "however"...

If you do let skills get out of date, don't sweat it too much. They made a change about 2 years ago, where skills which are far below their current cap will increase very quickly. So, if you do let some skills fall by the wayside, you will be able to get them back to a reasonable level with little effort.
    Nennius and Shillingworth like this.
  4. Shillingworth Augur

I can confirm Tatanka's assertion. It really has been made significantly easier to skill up your character. PL'd two boxes with DS technique, took a couple hours to max out their commonly used skills, the rest followed shortly after. Swimming was the only slow one but still way faster than it used to be, more a matter of usage than actual skill up rate.