Recent EULA clickie.....

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Ratbo Peep, May 13, 2015.

1. Ratbo Peep Augur

Recently, when the web sites switched to Daybreak, we all had to click on, and accept, a new version of the EULA to play EverQuest. I happened to note (and copy) this prohibited activity:

4.6 use, post, host or distribute cheats, hacks, mods, macros, \"bots\" or other programs which would allow unattended game play or which otherwise impact game play (including, without limitation, any program which enables or facilitates mining, character kills, or level increases) in connection with any Game(s);

The way I read this... it seems to me that the mere existence of a "certain program" on a players PC should be enough to blow the whistle and end the charades. Is it so hard to "test" for this using the game software? No need to have any subjective enforcement or bannings, just modify the .exe so the game can not run on a PC with installed at all. Is that not do-able?
    -Rat
    PS to Goth: Please don't ruin this thread too and get it locked. We've all heard you 1000 times now.
  2. silku Augur

I'd imagine that there would be an uproar of immense proportions if they began to scan peoples hardware for any reason other than to determine if the game was able to run. I remember one of the previous owners of the game doing it and there were some legal ramifications of it. You can't just invade someones hardware and look to see what's on it.
    Hiladdar likes this.
  3. Barton The Mischievous

They cannot just scan whatever they want Blizzard tried and maybe EQ itself tried this way back and backed off due to the threat of a class action lawsuit in fact i wonder how whatever Project 1999 uses to look for boxes is even legal and yes they even put it in the EULA and TOS and still were worried they would lose to litigation just cause someone puts it in an EULA does not mean it is legal.
  4. Numiko Augur

reminds me of the Sony Root Kit scandal
    Elricvonclief and Loratex like this.
  5. Xanadas Augur

If that gets you worked up, just keep reading. I personally disagree with the legality of being able to "monitor my computer system", but not like we have much choice in this matter:

5. CONSENT TO MONITOR
    When running any Game(s), we may monitor your computer system or console for unauthorized third party programs running concurrently with any Game(s) which, in Daybreak's sole determination: (a) enable or facilitate cheating of any type; (b) allow users to modify or hack any Game interface, environment, and/or experience in any way not expressly authorized by Daybreak; or (c) intercept, "mine" or otherwise collect information from or through any Game(s) (an "Unauthorized Third Party Program"). In the event that we detect an Unauthorized Third Party Program: (i) the Game(s) may communicate information back to Daybreak, including, without limitation, your Account username, details about the Unauthorized Third Party Program detected and the activities or functions performed thereby, and/or (ii) Daybreak may exercise any or all of its rights and remedies under this Agreement or the Terms of Service without prior notice to the user linked to such Unauthorized Third Party Program. You acknowledge that any and all character data and other data that is stored and is resident on our servers, and any and all communications that you make within any Game(s) (including, but not limited to, messages solely directed at another player or group of players) traverse through our servers, may or may not be monitored by us or our agents, and that you have no expectation of privacy in any such communications and you expressly consent to such monitoring of communications you send and receive.
  6. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

I would be perfectly fine with them scanning my hardware looking for cheat programs. Not sure why anyone would have a problem with that. Don't some other games do this? I seem to have heard of it from somewhere just can't recall where.
  7. Lelu New Member

With this wording, I wonder if previously legal programs ([Unmentioned 3rd Party Software]) are now considered against the EULA?
  8. Lelu New Member

Eh, this sounds like people that say "just let the police search your car if you have nothing to hide". My PC is my property and I'm not ok with them having special and risky access to it, even though I use no third party software. Just having blanket open suspicion on their entire paying customer base isn't the way to deal with this issue. They need to set their servers/system up on their end with a way to catch the minority of people that cheat.
    Hiladdar, Behee, Xanathol and 3 others like this.
  9. Klaian-Xegony Lorekeeper

Corwyhn, can I scan your PC while you are making an online purchase. I promise not to use the information.
    Dexar, Hiladdar, Mintalie and 3 others like this.
  10. segap Augur

To do so properly, they would need admin access and likely a kernel driver. This means that if they have any vulnerabilities in their code, it would allow someone more nefarious to exploit their code to take over my computer. I'm not opening up a possible security hole to let them go after potential cheaters. If the cure is worse than the problem, it's not worth it.
  11. Iila Augur

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sony_BMG_copy_protection_rootkit_scandal
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articl...s-UPlay-DRM-contains-dangerous-security-flaws

SOE/DBG has only released the best software possible, and would never put out any untested, buggy, or easily exploitable executables that could put users at risk.
    Dexar, Mintalie, Potawatomi and 5 others like this.
  12. silku Augur

I have no reason to hide anything. That doesn't mean I freely give up my privacy and right to it just because someone else does. Just like when someone with a badge comes to my door and says "Hey, can I take a look around your house?" I'll say Why? Do you have a warrant? I don't have a meth lab in my basement.. I still don't want people snooping through it.
    Hiladdar and Mintalie like this.
  13. Weverley Augur

Seems to me what microsoft do to make sure your windows is a legal one the authentification process is a different way to word it but essentially if you want windows to work after a certain period of time you need to accept their condition.
  14. Kellaer Augur

You're seriously pulling the "If you don't have anything to hide, you don't have anything to worry about." sham on us in 2015. Awful.
    Dexar, Hiladdar, Mintalie and 3 others like this.
  15. Tyche Elder

They banned people for using VMware likely under this clause. If they can check for VMware, which in no way is hacking or cheating, they can certainly monitor for other processes which do. They choose not to do so.
    Hiladdar likes this.
  16. Random_Enchanter Augur

I want a list of what they consider to be Third party programs that determine this. Otherwise, this basically says "We're DBG, we don't like you so your banned for not having a clean computer who's sole purpose is to play our games"

Heck, I'm sure some one could make the case that the default programs on a fresh computer install could violate this.
    Angahran and Hiladdar like this.
  17. segap Augur

Detecting VMware is easy. It has no reason to hide and makes itself readily visible in several places requiring no admin rights to find. A cheat program would be motivated to hide itself and require deeper access to the system to find. A cat and mouse game would ensue and would become costly resource wise for dgc to keep up with, starving us of future content.

If the cheaters become disruptive to enough people, I fully expect and want dgc to take action. Until then, the cost vs. the benefit is too high in my opinion.
    Iila likes this.
  18. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Nope cause I dont know you from Adam DUH. But yes I will allow Daybreak to scan my PC for cheat software. Two TOTALLY different things :) I already trust Daybreak with my credit card information and have a vested interest in them being able to scan for cheat software. If I want cheating reduced I think its a fair compromise as opposed to them wanting to scan my PC and giving no reason for it.
  19. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

I am pulling the Daybreak has a right to scan our pc for cheat software because it is in the EULA and yes the I have nothing to hide thing. Do you have something to hide?
  20. silku Augur

Amazing how our education system has failed us. Now people no longer use logic to argue but rather insults and attacks. You don't agree with me? You don't hold the same values? Clearly you have something to hide, right? You must be a bad man etc. Blah. I don't need to have something to hide to realize that I don't need anyone else feeling that because I use their software they have a right to know everything about me. I paid for my software, I pay for my account, I am using a legal copy of windows. What more do they really need to know?
    Hiladdar, Behee, Mintalie and 3 others like this.