Ranger - venomous tear aug vs sirens demise

Discussion in 'Hybrid' started by Monkman, May 26, 2018.

1. Monkman Augur

Been working on an alt ranger currently curious about the aug choice on weapons nowadays

Mainhanding Jeweled Bloodorchid Katana with Sigil of Thokk and offhanding Crasher with blood draining spike (shooting for dekolaz dirk but haven’t had the chance to snag one yet)

I have kylong essence and 12dmg aug also

In the process of farming my pieces of eight for venomous tear but started wondering if sirens demise was the better choice for rangers due to the cold focii we get on our gauntlets.

Any rangers want to shed light on best aug choice for weapons?

Also should I be swapping threads of potential belt for seeress during melee burns?

Also I’ve noticed some rangers are using proc augs in their bows... I’m currently using soul bow and have signi and grim momento should I be swapping the augs out for certain situations?

Thanks for the help
  2. Fintank Augur

Bow = Venomous Tear + Siren's Demise
    Melee = Sigil of Thokk and Frost Blossom
    Belt = Melee proc "Boon of the Seershit"

This is the setup I'm running currently on my ranger, have tinkered with the Sympathetic Proc belt and have looked at the Threads one but quite honestly they don't make too much a difference in the long run that I have seen.
  3. Orienn TreeHugger

Since we are primarily doing ranged dps I use Relife Adornment in my mainhand and Siren's Stone in my shield and then when I melee I use Siren's Demise in the offhand and a Thread's of Potential belt.
  4. Derka Power Ranger

What changed? I've seen a lot of talk about proc Augs in bow recently. Back when scouts mastery of ice actually affected procs you could focus it to hit for 7400 with elemental arrow and everyone was still saying no no, use DMG augs in bow.

As for the threads vs boon debate, I would lean towards threads personally unless shown otherwise. 3k flat damage on every dot tick and +6k per summers nuke adds up. That's 5 procs every 6 seconds to equal the damage from a dot tick with threads, and 12 procs to catch up to summers + threads. Can't speak for the runed belt of boromas proc since I don't own it.
  5. Fintank Augur

The actual damage added by straight damage augs when compared to the lower dmg of the proc augs is negligible. But with procs factored in it boosts DPS more as a whole. Even the addition of the proc damage on top doesn't really make it that much better, 1-2k DPS difference. But throughout the course of fights/raids/etc the use of things like Imbued Ferocity and Fierce Eye will lengthen the lead over pure damage augs.

I personally use the melee proc belt myself because it's a constant source as opposed to the other 2. Threads will only apply 3k damage TOTAL to a detrimental damage spell, so on the DOT's it's spreading 3k out between however many tics it may be. But your Threads isn't applying to Focused Arrows, Foreseen Arrows or Alliance. Same applies to the Sympathetic proc. On top of having no benefit during those casts you also lose the focus completely if you run OOM. Whereas the melee proc belt just requires you to be attacking. Also it boosts DPS during the abilities mentioned above, Imbued Ferocity and Fierce Eye.
  6. Derka Power Ranger

Aren't you using imbued with melee weapons? Seems like way more proc dmg from a 8k +5k proc weapons rather than using it on a 600 and 750.
  7. Jhenna_BB Proudly Prestigious Pointed Purveyor of Pincusions

Don't forget, Imbue is force proccing Strike of the Archer as well. If the Bow is doing more damage than melee on burns as it is, force proccing two proc augs pushes the damage out way further.
  8. Derka Power Ranger

Guess I'll have to check what bow damage is in the duration of imbued with bow vs melee. Think it was almost 4.5 mil on just imbued burn with group weapons. Was always a good filler every 10 mins
  9. roth Augur

Most rangers use a bow on raids, but a good number of them use a bow for solo/molo as well.

While having proc augs is good for raiding, especially with IF, having proc augs on the bow is not good for root+shoot activity.

This leaves three options :
    Damage augs on bow, safe for root+shoot;
    Proc augs on bow, good for raiding;
    Spend extra plat and carry Distillers around to swap between the two as needed.
  10. Jhenna_BB Proudly Prestigious Pointed Purveyor of Pincusions

Or just keep pure damage augs in your Phlogiston or Conflagrant Bow. When headshotting, you're likely already hitting a bandolier anyway to equip your shield and highest Dex primary.
  11. Ariimana New Member

I Mainly BOW on Group and Raid content, dont find myself solo'ing much since I , sometimes 3 box. Try Tome of Obulus...many of use Rangers on Seventh Hammer find it the bets way to go due to the Focus effect. as for Aug on bow since we do have element specific AA boost..i use Siren's Demise and Nra 'Vruu's Striking Stone. would love any feedback on my approach
  12. roth Augur

IIRC they stopped the Scout’s Mastery AA’s from affecting procs. The Arrow AA’s should still work though.

Re: Tome of Obulus .. its an AWESOME secondary. The nuke portion of its effect makes me question its utility on root+shoot operations though. Highest HDex primary would likely be the Darkened Cone of the Mystics, which is friendly for all shooting situations.
  13. Ecchicon Elder

Correct me if I’m wrong, (I don’t play a ranger) but if you are a raider it seems the proc augs you would want on your bow would be Blood Draining Spike and Conch of the Singing Seas. They are not the highest damage, but the Tear and Demise will be resisted on quite a few raid events in RoS.
  14. Fintank Augur

Siren's Demise should only be resisted on Silverwing for all of ROS that I've seen. Venomous Tear should only be resisted on Hoshkar. So need to swap out to Blood Draining Spike on a max of 2 events for the whole expansion for min/maxing.
  15. Toader New Member

Re: Tome of Obulus .. its an AWESOME secondary. The nuke portion of its effect makes me question its utility on root+shoot operations though.

08/15/18 patch notes: - Reduced the likelihood that direct-damage spells will break root on a target.

Toader
  16. Lilranja New Member