Ranger Tanking Pop Trio

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Ciskin, Jun 13, 2017.

1. Ciskin New Member

Can a ranger tank group content if teaming up with a shaman and an enchanter. Friend playing the enchanter does not enjoy charming so that would leave me to tank.

Looking at Ranger,SK and Paladin as a main.

If its possible to run a ranger as a tank to start the group then I would prefer to go this way if not then I will move to a knight class.
    Not sure of the difference in DPS/tanking at POP level but have read that rangers are much closer to Knights tanking then they were in classic.
  2. Amoeba Augur

Back in the day of PoP, I'd say no. But, I am note sure how difficult PoP content will be now, such as how classic is way easier than it was. Perhaps one of the other TLP ((I am on Agnarr) servers will be helpful in this area.

I personally think you should go with one of the Knights. I lean towards Paladin because I love them, but Shadowknights are a good choice as well. I'd say still go Paladin and fight undead mainly in the trio.
  3. Ryak Augur

We had a ranger tank Avatar of War start to finish at level 60, so if your question is 'is a ranger physically capable of tanking?', that would be a yes.
  4. Superdeath Lorekeeper

so.. why is he not playing the enchanter to the maximum potential? hes basically the weakest member of your group, he will only be, maybe pulling/tashing and the occasional buff. Charming is something that he has to learn if he wants to be a decent chanter.
  5. Baldur Augur

Because mez is so weak. So is best haste and mana regen buffs in the game, so weak.

I even agree with you, he should be charming, especially with a shaman in the group to slow and heal you when your pet breaks. But to say he's weak is crazy to me. Even if he doesn't charm, mez in the group game is such an incredible thing.
  6. Rouan Augur

This essentially comes down to: Does the ranger have enough HP to survive a single round?

Although my guild was one of the only guilds to tank Commander Galenth in ETWK Raid #2 and even my ranger managed to tank him for a minute and a half.
  7. AgentofChange Augur

ya a ranger can tank group content just fine. Not a problem at all.
  8. Ciskin New Member

Thank you for the quick replies, I will start my ranger tank and see how it goes over this next year.
  9. Mrjon3s Augur

Are you planning on raiding? If so the shaman would make a better tank then the ranger. As for your friend if he doesnt want to charm but wants to mez, haste, and regen mana go bard. An enchanter charm is HUGE your looking at like 80% of your trios dmg till everyone gets AAed out. No point in even playing an enchanter if your not gonna charm.
  10. Ultrazen Augur

You might have him consider a bard instead of a chanter if he doesn't want to charm. You have a lot of overlap with chanter and shaman that doesn't stack, in the case of bard, it will. Song and spell more or less tends to stack, with some notable exceptions.

When you start looking at trio comps, you want to try and maximize your "class budget". I.E., you don't want any class to double up on skills with another class.

A ranger with both bard and shaman buffs, is a Cuisinart in PoP. You'll be able to tank stuff well enough with slow to do most of the stuff you'd want to do.

/shrug. Bard can do all of the things that the chanter in that group will do, and be more benefit to the ranger.
  11. Ultrazen Augur

On a side note, I have to say, playing a chanter that doesn't charm in PoP is....pretty funny. It's literally the single best era in the game for charming.
  12. AnselAdams Fix Levi in Fire

You can tank everything on a ranger through PoP without a problem. If your chanter friend isn't going to charm he should play another class instead of wasting your time. Further, ranger/chanter/cleric would be by far your best trio.
  13. Massimo_Bertoxx Augur

Good to know that about Rangers. Been thinking about rolling one next to duo with my shammy. Knew they tanked fine in classic but was under the impression that they were a little iffy with that in Kumar and beyond.
  14. Bewts Augur

Will you be playing with predominantly raid quality gear?

If so, yes a ranger can tank just fine in many places in PoP. Pre-Pop the ranger doesn't even need a ton of raid gear because Shammy slow makes life easy.

I will say though, SK may better serve your purposes all things considered as SK/SHM is an excellent duo; just add DPS.

If your friend dislikes charm, they should really consider a different class. Charm through PoP is essential to playing a chanter well and not utilizing it makes them dead weight in a SK/SHM duo. Even with a RNG/SHM duo the chanter basically tashes and mezzes adding little else. You could get better results with a bard only using a single /melody just stacking chants.
  15. Raltar Augur

Back in the day, my guild was flagging for elemental planes. After our first round of kills and flags, I ended up being the only person in the entire guild that had taunt and was flagged for water, air, earth and solro's tower. I tanked exp groups in those places as a ranger with like, 50 aa points. That early in the game, as long as it is slowed, almost any class can tank it if they can keep agro.
  16. Illusory Augur

If the Ranger has the right combination of HP/AC they can tank anything.