Ranger Bordom

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by nodontcarekkthxbye, Jan 5, 2019.

1. nodontcarekkthxbye Augur

With the advent of Luclin I started bowing, which I find really boring. I thought it was going to be great, but not having to do anything but hit one button one time for an entire fight, two if i use trueshot, is really boring, and I cant believe the game was designed this way. What were they thinking.

Anyways, I was thinking about switching to melee for PoP as dps output is suposedly around the same, or at least more so then Luclin. That way the game would be more involved.

Question is are any of the fights possibly tailored in PoP, so that we use our spells for more damgage during raid fights, meaning the AOEs that the bosses do are shorter range allowing us to come to 250 or 200 range to use Drifting Death, or our fast cast nukes?

This could maybe provide a bit more involvement, for me to stay with archery.

Yes, I know I spelled boredom wrong.
  2. Xeris Augur

What's different from auto firing with bow and auto attacking the mob with melee? If you're a bad ranger you're just autofiring... you can time spell casts between bow shots. If you use range attack button you'll fire marginally quicker. If you really wanna be a try hard you can get in kick range to also weave in kicks on the mob. There's a lot of ways you can make rangering interesting, you don't HAVE to just afk autofire.
  3. Rexxy Journeyman

In pop you will have 2 dots, 2 spear nukes, and kick you can use while bowing. The same for melee but kick can be autoskilled. In melee you just move around a bit more.
  4. nodontcarekkthxbye Augur

That you usually arent in range to cast those nukes and dots when avoiding AOEs or you are behind something that the game allows you to shoot through but not see through to cast? Not everyone uses GINA, or has someone calling out when aoes are coming, and I cant see spells from far away or i lag too hard so have to turn them down.
  5. Kahna Augur

Meh, most of the AE's aren't bad. I am in spell range on the majority of mobs. Want to not be bored, get GINA or have someone call out the spells for you.
  6. Xeris Augur

I mean... sounds like you're just afk autoing... you're just making the class boring, kinda on you. Stand where you can do stuff to make you work on fights, get resist pots/gear and take those aoe's like the rest of the raid who can't dmg mobs from 10 miles away.
  7. Rexxy Journeyman

Do you have a ranger group only bard standing with you at max range or are you giving up bard songs just to dodge some trivial AEs?

If you get an extended range item you can dot out of most ae ranges and nuke from outside many aswell.
  8. WaitingforMoreEQ WaitingforTBC

There is 4 actually

You should be in range to cast spells now on anything that isn't a belly caster. For example Cursed has a AoE that you should range, but you can be outside of the range of the AE and still in range to cast.
    In PoP unless you're in a zerg guild Rangers should be off tanking on adds and trash most of the time. SoL is the worst in terms of "boredom" for Rangers.
  9. Accipiter Old Timer

I don't play a ranger but how do you kick and bow at the same time? If you are far enough away to bow aren't you too far away to kick?
  10. Gremin Augur

Some models have a hit box so big that you can actually use your bow and kick.
  11. Bewts Augur

Assuming the mob is stationary, there’s wiggle room for you to do both. Of course, losing auto attack from archery if a mob moves could eat up the DPS you gained by doing it. LOTS of things can make a mob move (or you to move) so it’s a product of the encounter and rejects pulling aggro or pushing the mob.
  12. Bewts Augur

Well played (and geared) Rangers are super useful on “more than one” incoming pulls when clearing trash. Txevu in GoD is a good example of trash plows to get to raid mobs where Rangers can grab adds off shaman, clerics and the like.

The class is only as boring as you make it and solely bowing in Luclin is no less boring than auto attacking backstabbing and evading on a rogue. If your definition of fun is constantly repositioning then definitely go for a rogue /shrug
  13. WaitingforMoreEQ WaitingforTBC

Ranged attacks are based off the center of the mobs hit box, Melee and kick is based off the outer ring. So you can use archery and kick at the same time on giant mobs like Quarm and Rallos. You can actually kick all the Plane of Time Gods while shooting them with a bow, although Saryrn and Terris require a larger model illusion.
  14. Accipiter Old Timer

I hadn't considered that.
  15. HoodenShuklak Augur

Rangers always have the option to use a well-timed weaponshield. That alone will make the night if you can make it happen. Otherwise, box a cleric while you autofire. Your guild will appreciate it.
  16. Mashef Augur

You should have call of flame the 0.5 second nuke, get the DD focus ring of flamewarding in VT and be casting that between bow shots as well as using your DoT. In Luclin you really don't have to be so far you can't case your spells. You should be at max spell casting range and you will dodge 95% of the AoEs. Just like 2 fights in ssra where you have to be at max bow range. I want to say cursed is one and I don't recall the other off hand. It's definitely not HP, probably Arch Lich or XTC.

But that's basically the class on raids unless you weapon shield. Easy mode raids, much more complex in groups as you can do a lot more utility.

You won't melee in PoP on raids until you are well time geared and have both Timespinner and Hammer of the Timeweaver. Even then, if your healers aren't good or your resists aren't maxed you will be eating a lot of AOE damage and its just better to range boss fights unless they don't have an aoe you need to dodge. Your job is sustained high dps that has essentially no aggro.
  17. Bewts Augur

I’m really not sure which AE’s are trying to be dodged outside of Inny’s fear?

Maybe it was just our approach, but we faced everything from a DPS perspective and heal plowed through them (even with splits and using alts).

Casters/healers were a different story obviously.

Cazic the poop monster and Big Bert’s AE’s were the only challenging ones from my memory and something you could overcome with MGB EE, MGB CR and heal pots anyways...
  18. HoodenShuklak Augur

Turning Tallon Zek in early POP is probably one of the most deadly mistakes people make. It kills melee really efficiently.