Random Musing: Guild Leaders

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Coruth, Dec 13, 2014.

1. Coruth Augur

I was just thinking other day about Guild Leaders. If your Leader Quit

Would your guild:
    1) Fold
    2) Slip but continue/go on
    3) Not miss a beat.

I mean this musing just for fun from ROI on down. If Qulas quit tomorrow. Which would ROI do.

((PS you can define leader anyway in your musing that you want. If your Raid Leader is different than Guild Leader or more important to success think of that person. If there's a person that glues your guild together because your a merit guild and that person is the trust that holds merit together, etc, if it's a small cabal of good friends imagine that they all had agreed to quit together and so left together)
  2. lagkills Slain by Fippy while guards stood and watched.

Raid Leader > Guild Leader.
  3. Vlerg Augur

Raid leader > Guild leader.. indeed... however our GL happen to be the webmaster / dkp chief aswell, and nobody like to do DKP.

we do have 2 or 3 other people that could step up as a raid leader, so i'd go with no.2. It would be most damaging since the raid leader is a main tank.
  4. Coruth Augur

It's just a for fun question. Like in your mind, think of the person/small group you would say is the most key in your guild. Reasons aside (Main Tank, DKP, RL, etc)

Would your guild:
    1) Fold
    2) Slip Noticibly
    3) Stay Same

if he/she/they retired tomorrow.
  5. Qest T. Silverclaw Augur

The real question is why they don't generally get treated even as well as a member does.
  6. Vlerg Augur

because everyone dosen't contribute as much to a guild. faaar from it. especially in a raiding guild.

unless you are in a top-5 guild.. you have the skilled core crew who carry the rest... the raid leader is usually charismatic on top of it, and/or handle the mess of loot distribution, DKP system, waking people up.

I eagerly await your redundant reply Qest!
  7. Esero Elder

I think there are some examples of transitions that in some cases went rather smoothly - and in others caused the guilds to fall apart.. ultimately in the end I think it comes down to how much responsibilities the guild leader has delegated to others to (whether it be through loot calls, DKP management, leading raids, recruitment) ensure that other members of the guild have confidence in that person when the transition takes place.

I know Machin Shin on my server has had some leadership changes in the past year or so but they by all accounts have stayed in the top rankings of guilds where they were previously. That probably speaks to them having members who were put into a position to step up and take on the added responsibilities after having proven to their other guildmates that they were competent to do so based on how they handled their previous ones.

On the other hand, I was in a guild on Bristlebane, and while not in the guild anymore when the leader quit, I had many friends who were. That particular GL generally didn't keep many, if any officers and assumed most of the responsibility on himself - he did adequately but Club Fu thrived because it had members who took the initiative upon themselves when it was needed. When the leader quit, it was sudden (just before UF started IIRC) and he would not pass the guild tag on so a few core members of the guild went and formed a new guild (FwO) who, in their credit, continued on and did well, but I imagine it would've been much easier to not have to start from scratch per se, making a new website, forums and all of the other tedious stuff that could've just been passed down.

Either scenario can work out if people are willing to stick it out through that initial transition period.
    Romance and Insaneox like this.
  8. Esero Elder

I don't really buy that at least not as an absolute truth. For a lot of guilds it may be the case (including a lot of guilds I've been a member of in the past) but a few examples of it being the case doesn't make it true.

Raid leaders require micromanagement skills, not necessarily leadership skills.

People who are taking the responsibility to handle loot/dkp etc. generally enjoy the analytical side of things.

Guild leaders require sufficient people skills - skills that many raid leaders I'm sure have and are equipped to handle tells from people complaining about the group they're in, or that they don't want to sit out X event, or telling them they should try 'this strat instead of that' . The same applies to to the analytical stuff and complaints about loot and 'who got what/who's bidding who up' etc.. a guild leader needs to be able to sufficiently deal with the multitude of complaints that I'm sure happen on a regular basis and try to keep people satisfied/motivated.
  9. sojuu Augur

I wouls disagree here, i feel micromanament skills can be a hindrance. Macromanagmentis better in a raid leader. Imo the raid leader should be like a figure head for the raid. He tells what he expects of each and everyone during the raid. The for example the person in charge of tanks sets a tank list up. And that happens for each area. Now once hes given instructions and sees someone didnt do what he wanted he needs to be able ro recognize that. Using tanks again as an example be like hey i said i needed these tanked and these kited get with your kiters and ask wtf happened. Imo a raid leader who micromanages is a raid leader who does not trust his leads.
  10. Maeryn Augur

http://roiguild.org/2013/05/
    http://elitegamerslounge.com/home/progress/encounter.php?id=193
    http://elitegamerslounge.com/home/progress/encounter.php?id=209

So MS fell 3 hours or 15 minutes short of ending Qulas' leadership of RoI depending on which expansion qualifies as next. Most likely they would have kept trucking along, it has more to do with who has next than anything else.

Lost a raid leader and went from 30-45min between raids and usually 3 wins a night to 10-15min between raids and usually 5 wins a night. It was about the 10th time people were sure I had done something which ensured the doom of my guild. Right now we are clearly ahead of every other guild on the server and most people think I have no idea what I'm doing.

I've spent 3 years trying my best to prove that wrong.
  11. Shang Augur

1 - Doubt it. We'd probably last at least one more expansion at #1.
    2 - Possible. There'd likely be some people that'd retire with him.
    3 - Possible. Depends on how it all gets carried about.
  12. Shang Augur

This sentiment causes more strife in mid-tier guilds than anything else.

Your raid leader will always want more control within the guild, and everyone will be reluctant to see them get that power.
  13. Repthor Augur

most higher end raiding guilds have more then one person in the leadership capble of running raids cuz they co-operate but only use one voice.
    Axxius likes this.
  14. Atvar Augur

Only if your raid leader is coming up with all the strategies.
  15. Roxxanna Augur

There is life outside of Raid Guilds. Some guilds are made out of a lot of members who used to raid, members who have families and lives outside EQ, members who have gotten older and aren't into all that noise, or maybe members who are disabled, and just want to hang out and have fun. And in those cases I'd have to say Guild Leader> Raid Leader. It takes a special person to keep a large group of diverse people together and happy, and unfortunately, some are irreplaceable.
  16. jeskola pheerie

Back in the day I think guilds were a lot more leader-dependent than they are now. Even our tiny raid guild on test has survived multiple leadership changes. We are probably not the norm due to the odd circumstances of our server though. This does affect low to mid-tier guilds a lot more. Back in '99-01 I was in several mid-tier raid guilds that folded when leaders quit.
  17. Ratbo Peep Augur

I have to agree. The people I raid in alliance with have an ace of a raid leader.
    Their GL is more like the "Guild Administrator". (and also very good)
    Big decisions are made by meetings of the Guild officers.
    -Rat

PS: Some guilds also have a dedicated "drama handler" - who is an officer but not the RL or GL
  18. Crystilla Augur

True lol
  19. Axxius Augur

Without a competent guild leadership, there would be no raid for a raid leader to lead. Guild management is so much more than just telling people what to do during a raid fight. In a good guild everybody is replaceable, and 1 person quitting shouldn't cause the guild to fold.
  20. tofu stir fry Augur

there seems to be a missing theme in all of these well written posts. leadership as a whole. raid leaders and guild leaders both have there roles and those roles are extremely important to the success of any guild. but leadership as a whole unit (GL/RL/officers/recruitment etc) needs to be firing on all cylinders IMO to make a guild successful. these are just my opinions but when i look at our little cult we have going on test; the leadership as a TEAM seems to make us successful. where do regular officers fit in with your guilds? perhaps its on test alone; given the hurdles we face etc that the teamwork atmosphere with LoB's leadership becomes a major part of our success. either way i think kudos need to be given to all guild leadership roles. without them a lot of the fun us regular members have would be null and void.

*salute*