Cannot Reproduce Random LDs

Discussion in 'Resolved' started by Jildaan - Povar, Mar 21, 2022.

1. Jildaan - Povar Uncle Crispy

Bumping this up. Did a petition and of course they had work on the modem, jitter/speed/ping tests etc and all came back with flying colors. Speed test showed 262 mbps down and 11 mbps up.

Working on getting more "LIKES" so the devs can look into this issue.

Apologize if it seems like I am jumping around, editing an old post.

This really tends to happen as server traffic increases.

Ok, I had posted about this before, and the thread was locked for some reason.
    Timeline:
    I have been playing for 22+ years, and my machines have always exceeded the requirements.

When I moved into my new house in '16, I was running three accounts on two computers on wireless, cable internet with the ISP's router and modem. Girlfriend moved in last year and she bought a new computer to start playing. The only difference I saw from that March (when she started playing) was the zone times got a little longer when all four accounts were online. From when she started playing (March 2021 or so) until the new expansion we experienced NO problems with our connection.

Right after the ToL expansion was released, we started experiencing random crashes. Straight to desktop sometimes, suspension of play (character can still move around but hit points on mobs stay still, cannot camp / zone / chat). This will happen on a computer account active, or when boxing (one account cannot interact, the other still functions).

These are the steps we have taken:

I did buy a new primary computer.
    New net gear nighthawk modem, and went to wired connection.
    Permissions on any AV programs have been given.
    We have the proper dx9 installed (remember these systems were working fine until the new expansion release).
    Reinstalled the game. File checks always. Windows updates are always current.
    Running windows 10 AND 11 (computer I run two accounts on is on windows 10).
    Went from 100mbps service to 250mbps.
    Logs cleared every other day when /log on is used.
    Talked to several guildmates that are savvy in this area and even delved into the windows logs, nothing out of the ordinary (compared to his logs).

There might be something I am missing (been working on fixing this for 3+ months).
    EDIT: When this suspending (or lag) starts, stays at 100% and 62ms until link dead hits.

Assistance would be appreciated. My girlfriend is really close to canceling her account, I just have more vested time in the game, be tough for me to do that.

Jildaan
    Pani, MiataDriver, Jein-ko and 16 others like this.
  2. Jildaan - Povar Uncle Crispy

I am and have been still experiencing this issue.
  3. Veld New Member

I can confirm the problem is ongoing
    Jildaan - Povar likes this.
  4. GNOME_POWER Augur

5. Jildaan - Povar Uncle Crispy

6. Jildaan - Povar Uncle Crispy

whoops, anyways, that was one of the things done, that I forgot to mention. Been throwing the kitchen sink at it
  7. theonepercent Augur

You got the router after the problems started happening? Either way Nighthawk routers are known for problems like this, try downgrading the firmware.
  8. Jildaan - Povar Uncle Crispy

New router after the problems had started. Still happening with the same frequency.
  9. RangerJoe New Member

I have spent time with Jildaan trying to troubleshoot this issue. Looking for one "smoking gun" has proven very difficult. However, one experience can't be explained by anything happening with his ISP or equipment. He had two accounts running on one computer; and one of them froze while the second one gave no issues (no packet loss). This gives me the impression that there may be a problem with a specific EQ server. I know we use 16 different login servers to get to our EMR at the hospital I work at; Is there a way for us to know the login server name we are connecting through when we log into the game? If so, we could follow this problem with Jildaan recording which login server he hits. And see if there is a relationship with any of the login servers he hits; and the lockup issues he experiences.
  10. Mabizle New Member

This 'eq instance just closing without warning' has happened to me a few times with different networking hardware.
    I run windows 7 64bit wire connection.
    Has happened with both docsis 3.0 and 3.1 modems, firewall hardware being both Atom processor and Xeon processor.
    Once after ToL expansion and 3 times before ToL expansion.
    It is really random. I thought it might be an issue with ram/processor because I do leave multiple eq instance running all at once + browser being open.
  11. Jildaan - Povar Uncle Crispy

Two computers with 11, one with 10 here. All updates done. I just use my phone if I need to research.
  12. Zilendar New Member

I have worked with Jildaan on this issue as well at some length.

The issue Jildaan reports here appears to stem from something other than local client issues or network stability. My evidence to this is admittedly thin as I have not run any sort of direct tests on his gear nor have I remoted into his network or computers. All the support I've provided has been over the phone. Prior to ToL, Jildaan rarely experienced crashes or network issues.

What I do know is the following:

• The crash(es) can occur on one system or all four systems, but usually between one and three systems at a time. This appears to be random. Can happen in a raid, or happen in a deserted old world zone, or PoK, or Guild Hall, or character select.
    • The systems unaffected at the time of other systems crashing appear to be completely unaffected. To wit, they display not even a whisper of network instability or game client issue.
    • Moving between wired and wireless have no bearing on the frequency of the crashes.
    • All systems, new and old, W10 or W11, are affected by the crashing. ie "random"
    • Completely reformatting a computer and installing W10 fresh, clean driver installs, and only EverQuest running on the system had no bearing on frequency of the crashes. Still random.
    • Replacing the router had no bearing on frequency of the crashes.
    • Using Cellular WiFi Hotspot had no bearing on frequency of the crashes. Still random, and markedly slower zone times - which were expected given the cellular signal strength.
    Hope this helps someone smarter than me help Jildaan figure this out. Thank you in advance.
  13. Jildaan - Povar Uncle Crispy

P.s. I haven't tried the Hotspot, signal spotty here.
  14. awiusdi New Member

I am having similar problems, but not nearly as frequent as Jildaan. For me the game will just suddenly shut down and I then find myself at desktop.
  15. Sarkaukar Augur

There is crashing, such as the game crashing and generating an error, then there is the game crashing due to connectivity, ie the the player is dropped out of the game to character/server selection. Since the info below was not mentioned...
    1. System Power options, set to High Performance. Other settings will put components to sleep, etc
    2. Ensure all cable connections are tight, retighten :)
    3. Remove router completely from the picture and connect directly to modem (it is just a modem and not a gateway, ie combo router/modem?) If connection with only modem is fine, then definitely see #4.
    4. Router - turn off whatever Security component it has, this does not disable NAT. Some routers will have their security features broken up, if so, start with SPI (stateful packet inspection). If there is any sort of connectivity issue between your system and DBG servers, ie a problematic router system issue where packets may build up then released, SPI (or whatever that brand calls it) will see increase in UDP packets as an attack and temporary close that EQ port. It is closed long enough that EQ will disconnect. This has been an issue with routers since mfg started adding SPI/etc
    5. Depending on ISP, consider changing DNS to Google Open DNS or OpenDNS. Done on router will change it for all devices being connected, or if change just on the computer, computer will use that updated DNS while other devices will use the DNS the router gets from your ISP.
    Just to add if more the game is crashing due to issue with game/system, are you all using custom UI components? What happens when running purely default UI components?
  16. Velisaris_MS Augur

If possible, have you tried taking your computer(s) to another location with a completely different internet connection? Maybe take it to a friend's or relative's house, load up EQ, and just let it sit logged in and see if it crashes. That might at least help you narrow it down to a connection issue or a hardware/software issue.
    I_Love_My_Bandwidth likes this.
  17. Jildaan - Povar Uncle Crispy

Done on all. Still crashing.

No custom UI.

Waiting until after the next patch, the one that will address the raid crashes. I have a funny feeling they are related. As a friend put it, a script error.
  18. CrazyLarth Augur

I crashed 4 times tonight same raid
    Povar Jeffro

TOL - Maiden's Eye - Zelnithak

PST just before these times
    April 04 2022 18:05 1st
    April 04 2022 18:08 2nd

we wiped and this was the same event 2nd try

April 04 2022 18:37 3rd
    April 04 2022 18:51 4th
    win
  19. Jildaan - Povar Uncle Crispy

Heard from an IT friend (doesn't play EQ) that December 12th or so Microsoft put out a QOS server patch that caused users to randomly be booted from their servers as. Completely random. Curious if this could be part of the problem.
  20. Jildaan - Povar Uncle Crispy

Still happening. Second account went to desktop five times today (once after a reboot), and third account once. 2nd and 3rd account on the same computer, but this happens randomly and doesn't discriminate as it can happen on my mains computer (this one) at any given time. When the 2nd account went to desktop, the 3rd account was experiencing ZERO issues and being actively played.

Please, this isn't a "my system / connection" issue.

Sure hope this upcoming patch addresses this issue. Not paying for one, let alone three accounts (not including my girlfriends account that she pays for) for these kind of problems. Would hate to throw away 22+ years of issue free playing a game I thoroughly enjoy because of this.
    Vandiill likes this.