Raising trade skills past 300 & scribing recipes.

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by tnot, Jan 31, 2018.

1. tnot Elder

How exactly is a recipe 'scribed'. I know that I can only search in the trade skill container for things I have successfully combined. But there's also a bunch of others there Iv never made which confuses me. Also, what role do the vendor purchased Tradeskill books play in all this?

Eq traders says going above 300 skill ( aside from aa s and trophys ) is dictated by how many recipes you've learned/scribed.

Finding recent guides on some eq stuff is getting difficult, you'd think DBG would have a basic guide for how this stuff works.
  2. Tiggold Augur

You can either buy a book, right click on it and click the scribe button, or you can put ingredients for a recipe into the appropriate container and learn the recipe upon a successful combine. EQ Traders has a lot of valuable info but not a lot of bandwidth. Good Luck.
  3. adetia Monkess Wonder, Ruler of All

Hello!

I would encourage you to stop by website: http://www.townshiprebellion.com/tradeskills-home

I suggest starting with the books, followed by fishing, and brewing, links for both are on my site.

You will want to do the books to get a good chunk of recipes across skills, and then supplement that with recipes needed. There are so few recipes in fishing that you should just do them all , particularly if you have an artisans prize you are working on powering up, then follow it up by brewing. For brewing, you have a couple options, you can either work from my master list if you want to do everything, or, if you simply want to "get the job done" try out my comparison brewing tab.

Good luck!
    Aurastrider likes this.
  4. charla Lorekeeper

Is there any source of listing for all books and NPCs? Also, are there any specifically for Fishing, to start with? Many Thanks.
  5. Tiggold Augur

And absolutely stop by Adetias site. It's wonderful as long as you remember to click back on the other screen before you start typing and overwrite a recipe........fml
  6. Drewie Augur

You can find a complete list of books here (none for Fishing) :
    http://everquest.allakhazam.com/wiki/eq:Artisan's_Prize

Also, if you submit an outputfile on http://eqrecipes.free.fr it will automatically tell you which books you haven't scribed yet for that tradeskill, along with a link to each book on Zam where you can find more detailed information.
  7. fortuneteller Augur

So Adetia, when are the comparison coming for tailoring ?
  8. Natal Augur

Some of the stuff in those guides is not accurate. The "basic" JC does not count for raising skill past 300 for example, and it appears that a lot of the JC recipes learned from books don't count either.
  9. adetia Monkess Wonder, Ruler of All

Most of the guides were done before the recent boom of information in re: tradeskills but i've put in alot of time correcting information since then. However, my guides are for two types of folks, #1: "The completionist" so all recipes are available, or all recipes I know of are available, etc,a nd i fill in the gaps as they are reported to me or are discovered, etc.
    #2. The folks that just want to get it done can use the comparison tools, the quick lists, and our upcoming script checker as well.

As indicated on my posts, the site and in each individual guide, you need to choose the path that best meets your goal - do you want to be a master crafter that knows it all or just want to power up your prize as fast as possible, etc?

If you want to know all the JC recipes, use "Jewelcraft Master List"
    If you want to do comparison JC, and just the recipes that count towards post 300, use
    "Comparison JC" which will take into account what you already know and just spit out a list of what you need to do.

If you see any errors in any lists, I'm always thrilled to receive reports, either here, via ingame tell, mail or email to adetia@townshiprebellion.com

Hope that helps!
  10. Natal Augur

Ya, I understand the problem. Your guides were created before much was known about what counted and what didn't, but now we know what does count since there is an /outputfile command that lets us know. The thing is, someone who has not done the combine yet won't know if it counts or not until they actually do it, because only those recipes you have actually done are listed in the /outputfile readout.

I was just pointing out that following those guides strictly might result in a lot of wasted time if they include a lot of recipes that don't actually count,
  11. adetia Monkess Wonder, Ruler of All

Actually, all you need to do is use the comparison page if you are looking for zero wasted time. That's why it exists. :) It looks at what YOU know, via your outputfile, and tells you what you need to do from the list still, to complete and get to 350 without any wasted time or effort. Easy Peasy.

The master lists are for my other, actually larger audience - the people who want to do every recipe and they don't care if it counts or not :)
    Tatanka likes this.
  12. charla Lorekeeper

Thankyou very much. But f there are none for fishing, how do you get above 200? Just do new >200n triov cobine setc??
  13. Goodn Augur

Hello. I don't think you are understanding fully the trade skill system after 300 (or 200 for fishing). I'm going to try to re-explain...and you let me know if it makes sense.

First, there are 10 ranks of aas for each of the trade skills (including fishing). They are the last 10 ranks in xxx Mastery (usually the 4th through 13th ranks of the aa). Each of these ranks raise your tradeskill cap by 5 (10 ranks = 50 points). They do not give you skill; they just raise the cap. Regardless of what you do, if you do not purchase these aas, your trade skill will never go above 300 (or 200 for fishing).

Second, there are learned recipes. A learned recipe is a recipe that will show up when you do a search in whatever trade skill container you are using. All (most?) trade skills have a certain number of recipes that you just know. They will always show up in your trade skill container (easiest example is fletching...arrow recipes are just there for the basic ones). OF PARTICULAR IMPORTANCE, THE TRIVIAL DOES NOT MATTER FOR THE LEARNED RECIPE...could be 30, could be 530. Each is considered the same moving forward.

To raise your trade skill from 300 (or 200 for fishing) to the new max of 350 (or 250 for fishing) assuming you have purchased the aas, you need to increase the number of learned recipes your character knows. You do this through making the recipe to learn it *or* there are a certain number of recipes that can be learned through scribing a particular trade skill book.

For each tradeskill, EQ *knows* how many recipes to learn there are. What the system then does is takes that number, cuts a percentage off, and then divides that number by 50. That's how many recipes you must learn before you gain a point above 300 (or 200 for fishing). For example, let's say there are 330 recipes for a tradeskill that you can learn. The system might cut 10 percent (or 30 recipes) leaving you with 300. Dividing 300 by 50 gives you 6. So for every 6 recipes you learn. [Please note: this is a very simplified way of describing what the new trade skill system is...]

So for fishing, I think the number is just above 3. So for every 3 recipes you learn in fishing (for your tackle box), you will gain a point in fishing skill above 200 (provided you have purchased the aas). What are these recipes? Mainly the 3 types of flies (circle, treble, dry), prepared fish (of most catchable fish), filets of various fish, and a few other things. What isn't included? Mainly the "recipes" of running fish through the bait dispenser (which you know already).

One good thing - this system was introduced before RoS. So...RoS recipes can be learned to help gain points, but they don't count in the calculations. So if you are fishing in RoS and are working on fish scale stuff...those recipes will count toward your point gains. But the numbers didn't change from before RoS.

Now, here's the confusing (if not already) part (this is mostly for all the other tradeskills, but since I'm writing a novel anyway...). There are some recipes in each tradeskill that do not count. Most are because they are specific quest recipes and they are no-fail (usually the trivials are at 15), some cannot be learned (you can do the combines over and over, but the recipe will never show in the trade skill container), some you can only learn from scribing a trade skill book...the game will not let you attempt the recipe on your own without scribing...so the system doesn't count these...sometimes, and probably a few other cases I am missing.

Here's where the beautiful folks that you see above come in. Adetia has created many spreadsheets to help you figure out what recipes in each tradeskill count, don't count, and ways to check. Drewie has created a website to load an output file that checks against a base file and spits out what recipes you still can learn to gain recipes (and points). And there have been many people who have helped these, and other tools that are available.
  14. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Excellent explanation - thanks Goodn. :D
  15. charla Lorekeeper

Thats so helpful thankyou!!
  16. charla Lorekeeper

Drewie where does the output file go? and name? .. i guess the site you mention tells you how to submit ... many thx for your help!
  17. Drewie Augur

It's explained in the 2 first part of the instructions on that page :
    1) inside EverQuest, type /outputfile recipes <tradeskill>
    2) click the Browse button and select the file <character>-<tradeskill>-Recipes.txt in your EQ folder
    So, basically, it's created in the directory where EverQuest is installed. You may sort the directory listing by date to find the outputfile faster.
  18. Zhaunil_AB Augur

Not sure what you mean by "basic", but if it's referring to the "freebie" quests from CR, you are wrong:
    [Fri Mar 02 21:48:40 2018] You say, 'Please teach me the recipes.'
    [Fri Mar 02 21:48:40 2018] You have learned the recipe Spicy Sunrise!
    [Fri Mar 02 21:48:40 2018] You have become better at Brewing! (305)
    [Fri Mar 02 21:48:40 2018] You have learned the recipe Vanilla Coffee!
    [Fri Mar 02 21:48:40 2018] You have learned the recipe Peppy Juice!
    [Fri Mar 02 21:48:40 2018] You have learned the recipe Simple Spiced Wine!
    [Fri Mar 02 21:48:40 2018] You have learned the recipe Spicy Sunrise!
    [Fri Mar 02 21:48:40 2018] You have learned the recipe Vanilla Coffee!
    [Fri Mar 02 21:48:40 2018] Brewer Mesi says, 'Here you go.'

There ARE recipes that do not count, yes.
    But Drewie's output above is still correct, aside from the total number it gives for "needed to 350" as in that number the RoS recipes are included which are not needed to get to 350.
    (the tables for how many new recipes you need per post-300 skillpoint have not been adjusted for RoS, so you have a slightly wider range of recipes to select from than before Which is a good thing too, when you look at the recipes for sea/water dragon meats for example.)
  19. Drewie Augur

The numbers of required recipes displayed have not been updated after RoS release, they still show the same estimated (or sometimes confirmed) number of recipes required to get to 350, and of course with the introduction of the new RoS recipes it became a bit easier to reach 350 with more choice in recipes.
    Yinla likes this.