/raidtarget 1 to 72

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Gugagan, Aug 1, 2023.

1. Gugagan Lorekeeper

Could you add a command to target someone in the raid, for example
    /raidtarget 1 to 72

That way as a buff class, we could make a hotbotton that targets the groupleader of each group in the raid and casts your buffs and has a /timer at the end, showing when you are done buffing a group and when you should hit your next "rebuff" button to buff the next group?
  2. Rijacki Just a rare RPer on FV and Oakwynd

You can use the Extended Target window to set each slot to a specific character or to a raid or group role. Then you can save the targets in a window to different sets so you can have a raid set up, a group set up, or whatever (such as for out of group healing). Then you can put it into a macro with /xtar # for the slot.

[IMG]
  3. Waring_McMarrin Augur

That is great if the people you pick are always in the same groups and don't get moved around depending on raid and raid makeup.
    Gugagan likes this.
  4. Xhartor Augur

The game has 2 features that help with this: Tranquil Blessings and Mass Group Buff.
  5. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Tranquil Blessings can't be used in combat which prevents you from rebuffing mid event.

Mass Group Buff has a long cooldown and there are times you want to cast multiple group buffs on different groups during an event.

Also not every group buff can be cast with Tranquil Blessings or Mass Group buff

Both of those are helpful but but they don't do what this post is asking about.
  6. CdeezNotes Augur

Who needs to rebuff an entire raid mid event? And you ever hear of banking TB?
  7. 6502 Lorekeeper

Not that I really care if the command exists or not, but there's probably very few realistic use cases for targeting players in a raid by number.
  8. Rijacki Just a rare RPer on FV and Oakwynd

You can use ROLES vs specific characters. There are raid specific options as well as group. The raid options are raid wide, not group specific. Even setting to specific characters is not dependent at all on which group they're in. For a specific character, target the character and select "current target" to have THAT character (or other target) in that slot.

You can SAVE multiple layouts in the same way you can save memorized sets of spells. The ability to save was added a few months ago from player request.

I suspect the Extended Target window is severely underutilized and misunderstood by the majority of players. It really is quite versatile and powerful for all classes and a lot more than just something to show you all the things agro'ed on your group/raid.
  9. Waring_McMarrin Augur

I never said rebuff an entire event mid raid but there are times when you need to rebuff multiple groups and there are times you need to rebuff an entire raid mid raid.

The issue is Tranquil Blessings is useless mid raid and Mass Group Buff has a long cool down and there are times when you want to throw a group buff on multiple groups.
  10. Waring_McMarrin Augur

And you would need to keep changing them as the raid layout changes from event to event and night to night. Having a command that lets you target a specific group/slot in group in a raid is a much more flexible tool and you can ensure you are always targeting each group.
  11. CdeezNotes Augur

TB isn't useless mid raid if you actually know how to utilize it.
  12. Waring_McMarrin Augur

It is unusable once you have agro and you need to wait until you are out of combat in order to use it again. This means that it is useless in a raid except for the beginning of an event.
  13. Rijacki Just a rare RPer on FV and Oakwynd

SAVE was added several months ago.
  14. Waring_McMarrin Augur

That doesn't address the fact that groups can change from event to event and even from time to time and you would have to reload those extended target groups for each change. Not to mention that it prevents you from using extended target for other things.

As nice as it is extended target can't replicate what this feature request is asking for as you need to change your extended targets each time groups get switched up.
  15. Pikollo Augur

Move Tranquil Blessings to an earlier expansion please!
  16. Rijacki Just a rare RPer on FV and Oakwynd

With a 1-72 / command, you would need to have characters be in exactly the same positions in the raid to reliably be able to use a command for each. If the tanks were in positions 1, 7, and 13 in one raid but in 3, 8, and 15 on the next, every single macro you have targeting a position in the raid would need to be adjusted. How is that better? On top of that, if the raid groups are swapped around, are you really going to change each of your macros then, too?

I still think the Extended Target window for the main targets needed and then saving it for different raid types would be significantly more effective. Most raid organisations, including casual, generally have the same characters in specific roles for most raids. You can even change one of the target slots without having your saved set affected.

However, being able to target from clicking in the raid window would be more reliable than either because then you would be able to see exactly who you are targeting and the raid not needing to be in a rigid set up. EQ2 has the ability to target from the raid window but no Extended Target window. I want both :)
  17. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Why would you need that to be true when you are trying to target someone based on the position they are in the raid?
    number/group
    1/1
    7/2
    13/3
    19/4
    25/5
    31/6
    37/7
    43/8
    49/9
    55/10
    61/11
    67/12

With that you can target someone from each group in order to cast a group buff on that group and you don't care who that person is. And you can save it as hotkey and easily cast your buffs without having to open the raid window, scroll to the correct group and click on a name to target it.

This would make it simple to do something like
    /raidtarget 49
    /cast 5

which will target group 9 and cast a buff on the person which can be done more quickly then opening the raid tool, scrolling to show group 9, clicking on a target and finally casting the buff.

This isn't about wanting to cast something on person A rather casting something on group X.

And trying to do all of this in the extended target window means you can't use it for other things such as NPC's or other players you need to watch.
  18. Brickhaus Augur

Huh? Am I misunderstanding what you are saying here?

You can target players from the raid window in EQ. I do it all the time when on a buffing class.

Why are you asking for something and then stating an entirely different use case in your post? You want each raid position an object, yet talk about group leaders ... something that is NOT a fixed position in each group. In either case, you are having to build new things that currently don't exist in EQ ... and I have no idea how much could go wrong since you don't want to mess with a buggy raid tool anymore than it is already.

I also have no idea why the group leader is important for you. Targeting any group member will have the group buff go on all members of that group (assuming all are in range).

Don't people just open the raid window, click on someone from group 1, hit buff, click on someone from group 2, hit buff, and so on?
  19. Waring_McMarrin Augur

I don't think they care about targeting the actual group leader and want to just target someone in the group and if you can do it with a command it is possible to do faster then opening a window and finding the someone in the group to click and target.
  20. Gugagan Lorekeeper

I am glad there are so many people who wanted to chime in with their thought on this request, but only @Waring_McMarrin actually seam to have understood the functionality requested.

I think @Waring_McMarrin did a good job explaining the scenarios and why this is something different then what the extended target window is "meant for".

But if anything is still unclear, please keep the questions coming so that we can try to clear up any misunderstandings or misconceptions about the proposal.