Questions about /melody

Discussion in 'Hybrid' started by Thesteus, Jun 12, 2013.

1. Thesteus Journeyman

So I'm considering starting up a Bard, which is very appealing with the addition of /melody. Like many other players here, I played at release for about 4 years, took several years off, then recently came back (a little over a year ago). I only just recently found out about /melody.

I apologize if these questions have been asked before.

Questions about /melody

- Does /melody refresh itself? So if I set /melody 1 2 3, after the third song, will it start playing 1 again? About how long does it play each song before moving on to the next?
    - How do you turn /melody off?
    - If I have a /melody going and I cast a song that is not in the melody (say a slow or something), without turning off the melody, how will that affect the melody?
    - What happens when a song in a melody is interrupted or fizzled (or whatever the term is for bards)?
    - Does melody have a fixed duration or does it a toggle on/off?
    - If I have two different melodies on macros and I start playing one melody, then switch to a second melody … what happens?
  2. Sirene_Fippy Okayest Bard

Melody automatically refreshes itself, playing the song sequence you indicate continuously unless interrupted. Each song is played for its cast time (3 seconds in most cases) before moving on to the next.

You can stop melody by hitting your melody hotkey (or typing /melody), clicking any song on your spellbar, or typing /stop. You can also "break" melody by using a clicky item, try to avoid doing this as it can bug out your songs (/stop usually fixes this, or it fixes itself in a few seconds).

If you want to interrupt your melody for something else (such as slow or mez), I recommend hitting your melody hotkey to stop current songs, then click the song you want to play. After the new song lands, hit your melody hotkey to stop your song, then again to restart melody. You can't manually use songs without stopping melody first.

If you fizzle (miss a note) during melody, it will keep trying to play the fizzled song until it is successful, then continue the melody.

Melody doesn't have a fixed duration, basically you turn it on and off. However, you can create a melody with a gap if song recast timers don't line up properly (not usually intentional).

If you have two different melody hotkeys, when you hit the second melody, EQ considers this stopping your current songs. If you hit the new hotkey again, it will start the second melody.
  3. Thesteus Journeyman

Thank you so much, that is extremely helpful.
  4. Mithrandyr Augur

1. Start each melody hotkey with /stop. That way each time you hit that melody hotkey, it stops any song/melody currently casting and starts the melody.
    2. Usually you only have time for 4 songs without the effect of song effects dropping before melody finishes casting them again.
    3. Melody will stop when it hits a song that is not refreshed.
  5. Thesteus Journeyman

Thank you, I will have to try that. I probably won't go more than 4 songs in any melody.
  6. Kegwell Lurker since '99

Can melody a 5th, do /melody 1 2 3 4 5 1 2 3 4
    I use slow for the 5th song in the melody.
  7. Brosa Augur

I'm currently leveling an alt bard and figured out this macro
    1= slow, 2= haste, 3= overhaste, 4= regen, 5= ds. The /pause # is tenths of a second = 2.5 seconds
    /stop
    /pause 25, /melody 1
    /stop
    /melody 2 3 4 5

Works well and I can retarget on an add to slow and not really miss a beat with the buffs.
    I'm currently trying to figure out all the other nuances of the class. Such as the best way to pull, must have abilities as I level for my regular group. I'm currently 88 and going straight to 100 pausing just enough to get the important stuff.
  8. Kansan Cloudkicker Elder

Good thread, started a bard last night for these same reasons. Question though about the fatesongs. Allakazham is showing the fatesongs giving s >1000% boost to cold spells, is this temporary? I cannot tell. Obviously there is some catch to it. I plan to sing pulse, war march and aria, and maybe throw in something else (a slow on big mobs). Can anyone give me the lowdown on this fatesong, I know it's something