Question - Neco/Bard/ Ranger-Or-Enchanter?

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by KeepHopeAlive, Aug 13, 2022.

1. KeepHopeAlive New Member

Hey all, I'm here for some advice. I've been playing a necro main with a bard box and loving it, the bard can really boost the necro's capabilities, kill speed etc. and I just auto follow /melody. I swap between regen/adps melody and DOT melody on assist.

I'm looking to add a 3rd. I prefer something to be very easy to box, e.g. auto attack or major adps.

What would you recommend?
    • I've considered a ranger for autofire DPS, and maybe easy headshot grinding out AAs for the trio?
    • Also considered an enchnater but it's not really clear how well his adps helps the necro, mostly for root rotting but that slow is very nice for the pet to tank if I give him equipment.

Thanks in advance!
  2. KeepHopeAlive New Member

Quick bump, any feedback/recommendations would be appreciated, thank you!
  3. Vumad Cape Wearer

Mage can CoH your group to you. Mage pet is stronger than NEC pet. Mage armor will make the NEC pet stronger. Mage hate weapons will help keep the mob on the pet rather than the bard. Mage can hotkey assist, pet, malo on 1 key. A second key can cycle the 4-5 main spells. Mage is very easy to box.

Alternate would be BST, SHM, DRU, RNG, ENC.

However, you group will perform the best with a plate tank, so SK, PAL or WAR. In my limited experience playing a cleric, knights are easier to heal, but the knight itself has to do more work to heal itself, so warrior is probably easier to auto attack and tab out.

And if I was bound by the only 2 options you gave, I myself would pick a ranger, but if not bound by your choices, I would pick MAG, SK or WAR.
  4. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

I would go Ranger but then I am partial to them since my main is one. I run with an enchanter.

The third spot rotates: first was a pally but he just wasn't quite right then I went SK and that was nice but then I went Shaman and ran him for quite a while. Made a Zerker last year and thought that would be the replacement but he was tiresome. I have now made a Beastlord and really like him, he is taking over the Shaman's spot. So Ranger/Enchanter/Beatlord

I do have a bard which to me is more work than he is worth. But I think the Enchanter and Bards are close enough in skills that you don't need both. My Wizzy and Mage are like fluff it seems - kinda spongy.

Ranger would win hands down. Park him, auto shoot and don't look back.

But the other thing to look at is the fact that you like your current Necro and Bard so rotate that 3rd spot around like I did until you find one you like and works with your other guys.

My next one to try out is a Necro. :D
  5. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

NEC/BRD...

I'd go with a second NEC, SHM or MAG.
    code-zero likes this.
  6. Sylklarus New Member

Best add is a mage TBH, but I've done a ranger too and it isn't that bad.
  7. Koshk Augur

Given the 2 choices the OP mentioned, I'd go with ranger. Autofire DPS will definitely add more to your current group (Necro, Bard), than the Enchanter.

Otherwise, if all other options are out there, I strongly agree with what others are saying about Mage.

Druid might not be bad, either. You'd get some flexibility by being able to switch into "healing mode" when things get rough, or just evac out. Bard would really help with Druid mana regen.
    code-zero likes this.
  8. KeepHopeAlive New Member

Awesome thank you all for the responses, gives me something solid to consider, I thought the enchanter's twincast aura would be the difference for the necro dots, just have the bard/enchanter auto follow and throw in a big slow while the necro pet and dots do all the work.

Thanks!
  9. Vumad Cape Wearer

Twincast aura is only 7% chance.

Can NEC twincast a DoT? I think twincast only works on the DD component of the spell. I think I can Twincast the initial nuke component of Pulmonary Grip but I don't think the DoT portion twincasts. If correct, the aura can help a NEC but not significantly.

Not sure the DPS of a twincast aura but I would think that numerous classes could out DPS the ENC twincast aura if the ENC itself is not casting. Mage pet alone is about 1/4 of mage DPS. I think autofire and pet/melee is about 40% of ranger and BST DPS. If you are bringing an ENC and not planning on anything but auras, don't bring an ENC.
  10. Tucoh Augur

My opinion for a low-effort boost to your group.

Mage > Necro > Ranger > Shaman

If you wanted a high effort boost to your group, Shadowknight would be the best choice.
  11. Rizzin Elder

Given your group make up, I'd choose Ranger for DPS / Headshot. The Bard is better ADPS for mele types than for casters.

That being said, I've run a Necro/Ench box for many, many years and I love that combo. I can go pretty much anywhere (any dungeon however deep I want) and I can take pretty much all group content. And the Ench Illusions of Grandeur on Necro burns is powerful: Moloing (just a healer merc) named at 120, I average about 1.4M DPS with my Necro. Boxing and using Illusions of Grandeur it's about 1.8M (and I've had a few fights under 2.4M DPS average).
  12. KeepHopeAlive New Member

Yes, pretty sure the dots have a chance to twincast (after the initial hit, during each tick), I can try again later today and confirm, but I'm pretty sure that's the case - maybe someone else can confirm.

Thanks!
    Vumad likes this.