Question about exp rates

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by stacks33, Oct 9, 2012.

1. stacks33 New Member

Hello,

This is probably a silly, but simple question to answer. I have 3 accounts and made a new character on each of them. All characters seem to level at the same rate until I add mercs to the group, after which they all get different % after each kill. This leads me to believe the mercs are somehow responsible for this, but considering they're all in the same group I do not understand why. I should also mention that these are RAF accounts so there could be some wacky stuff going on with the bonus applied by that.

In case class/race stuff still matters, I am running:
    Ogre SK
    Wood elf Bard
    Barbarian Shaman

The shaman seems to be leveling the fastest, followed by the bard and lastly the SK.

Anyone able to briefly explain what is going on?
  2. Lost_Map Elder

Well, you'll want to make sure that leadership experience isn't taking a drain from one of the characters. Also if you have them in a fellowship there's some wonky things happening with that.

That's really all I can offer you though hopefully someone else will have some better insight.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  3. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

Ok, here goes my best guess.
    The Wood Elf bard is actually XPing at the normal rate, I think.
    The Barbarian may be getting a little more xp because of some really old bonus perhaps? Though I did not think they ever got one.
    Honestly, the Ogre SK is the only one that I am 100% sure about. They originally had both a racial XP penalty and a class XP penalty. When these penalties were 'removed' from the game it was accomplished by adding the amount of XP they should have gotten back in, but this is not always correct and it is possible that when you get into groups larger than 3 as well as adding in the differing % of group bonus due to mercs that the error becomes more pronounced at that point. As a result the RAF xp is increasing the inherrant error even more.

It will also probably become more noticeable as your trio get higher levels.

*After reading Lost_Map's post I am betting that your Wood Elf Bard is always your group leader, and leadership AAs got turned on somehow about the time you started using Mercs and/or your group started to reach the levels where the amount of XP was great enough for them to not all level at the same time with the % difference starting to be visible.
  4. stacks33 New Member

Thanks guys. It looks like it was the leadership exp- I saw it was giving me some but didn't realize it penalized my regular exp :)
  5. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

Just curious was your Ogre your leader? After I got to thinking about it even more the Ogre wouldn't be the furthest behind whoever the leader was would be since leadership AAXP sucks up 20% of that character's incoming XP. So maybe my discussion about the Barbarian's having an old xp bonus was right?
  6. stacks33 New Member

Yeah my ogre SK was the group leader. What happened was he had leadership exp on and was lagging behind the other two because of that.

The other thing that was happening is that since my accounts are RAF, if all the accounts leveled off of the same kill- they'd level up weird. Long story short, one or both of the slave accounts would get 300% exp bonus for that kill while the master account leveled at the same time, which would then put them ahead of the master account by a bit. I never noticed this in the past because my master account had always been level capped.

Kind of weird, but at least I know what's going on now... the leadership exp being turned on was the biggy though!
  7. Lost_Map Elder

Glad you got it figured out!
  8. WarSheol Augur

Other things to double check, fellowship make sure your not sharing

and the more real players in the group the better, having 3 mercs in a group you wont be getting the full ammount of exp Good luck :cool:
  9. moogs Augur

Racial xp penalties were removed. Class xp penalties have not been removed. Racial xp bonus (halflings) has stayed, too.
  10. Gunnarr Journeyman

Does anyone remember what percentage the penalties were? I know it was long ago, but could not find it. Not that it matters as much as it once used to, but still would be interesting to see.