Question about customizing maps in game

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Mayfaire, Nov 4, 2015.

1. Mayfaire Augur

Hey all,

If I don't have my maps set as read only, can anyone think of any other reason why, when I make changes to my maps in game, then press "Save Map", the next time I log in the changes are gone?
  2. Beimeith Lord of the Game

3. CrazyLarth Augur

The maps files are stored in the default directory path of: \EverQuest\maps
    they get over written.

\EverQuest\maps\custom folder\ the folder is custom and will not get over written

I have a custom folder for each map pack I down load from some where

\EverQuest\maps\mapfiend
    \EverQuest\maps\beta
    \EverQuest\maps\.ect...

you need to create a custom folder in your map directory - in game the map window the top left has a drop down that you can then select your custom folder.- you save maps there and they will not get patched over. when you log on.

you an switch between what map pack you want to use on the fly. to refresh your current map in zone.

this link has a few links for EQ maps

http://everquest.fanra.info/wiki/Maps
    Mayfaire likes this.
  4. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

Pretty much what Beimeith and Crazy said.
    • If you are boxing and make changes to a map and have the character with the changes zone first when character with no changes mades zones the old map will resave (Clicking the current button after making changes on all boxes will generally rectify this).
    • There are certain zones which are supplied in full by the patcher, so it is best to make your own folders as Crazy said, to avoid those files being overwritten every time you patch.
    • If you are in-game and you edit or replace the actual txt files using an outside method, then you need to either hit current before zoning/to see the updated information or be looking at a different map (or that map in a different folder) and then change back to the current map.
    Mayfaire likes this.
  5. Orbital101 Augur

Its not only about boxing... I went through all kind of weirdness doing maps in TBM that are still a mystery!
    Mayfaire likes this.
  6. reggatta New Member

Thanks for the posts. I was unaware that maps were overwritten during patches and have sometimes wondered why my customized maps "disappeared" a few times over the years. Thanks for the "doh!" moment.
    Mayfaire likes this.
  7. Orbital101 Augur

Here are the maps layers included in the patcher... every thing that will be writen on these layer will be overwriten each time you run the patcher. Every thing else is safe... and for info I box mostly 4 toons but I run a different instance with a different folder for each toons. Only toons that seem to be buged atm is the one i changed there name on beta so probably a bug in the character file... I canceled the project of figuring out tbh
    abysmal
    acrylia
    akanon
    alkabormare
    arena
    ashengate
    barter
    bazaar
    beholder
    burningwood
    cabeast
    cabwest
    cauldron
    cobaltscar
    commonlands
    commons
    crescent
    crystallos
    dawnshroud
    discord
    dreadlands
    echo
    ecommons
    emeraldjungle
    erudnext
    erudint
    erudsxing
    everfrost
    feerrott
    felwithea
    felwitheb
    fieldofbone
    firiona
    freeportacademy
    freeportcityhall
    freeporteast
    freeporthall
    freeportmilitia
    freeportsewers
    freeporttheater
    freeportwest
    freporte
    freportn
    freportw
    gfaydark
    greatdivide
    grobb
    grobb_1
    guildhall
    guildlobby
    halas
    harbingers
    highkeep
    highpass
    hillsofshade
    hollowshade
    icefall
    innothule
    innothuleb
    kael
    kaladima
    kaladimb
    kerraridge
    kithicor
    lakerathe
    lavastorm
    lfaydark
    mesa
    misty
    mistythicket
    neighborhood
    neighborhood_1
    neighborhood_2
    nektulos
    nektulos_1
    neriaka
    neriakb
    neriakc
    nexus
    northkarana
    northro
    nro
    oasis
    oggok
    oldkaesoraa
    oot
    overthere
    paineel
    paludal
    poknowledge
    potranquility
    qcat
    qey2hh1
    qeynos
    qeynos2
    qeytoqrg
    qrg
    rathemtn
    rathemtn_1
    rivervale
    shadowhaven
    sharvahl
    soltemple
    southkarana
    southro
    sro
    steamfont
    steamfontmts
    steppes
    stonebrunt
    stonehive
    sunderock
    swampofnohope
    tenebrous
    thurgadina
    thurgadinb
    timorous
    toskirakk
    tox
    toxxulia
    tutoriala
    tutorialb
    Mayfaire and Fanra like this.
  8. Mayfaire Augur

You guys ROCK! Thanks so much for all the help, I really appreciate it. :) I will be creating custom map folders to use from now on.

I do box, but I can't see where that would be an issue as my boxes weren't logged in when I made the changes to the map and saved it.
  9. Sheex Goodnight, Springton. There will be no encores.

That reminds me sir - that offer still open for map cleanup? I'd love to see a map of LoIO that actually has the western area/FM zone line be an actual thing again!
  10. Orbital101 Augur

Im thinking doing more but once im done with quests in TBM
    Sheex likes this.
  11. Angahran Augur

Question about map sub folders.
    If a file isn't in a subfolder does the game pull it from the \maps\ folder ?
    I usually just have everything in \maps\ but if the patcher has started overwriting some of the *_1.txt, *_2.txt and *_3.txt files I guess I need to use a subfolder to keep any updates from being replaced.
  12. Orbital101 Augur

You can see what map files get overwritten in my previous post... no layers 3 are affected and IMO they should remove every layers thats isnt base(layer 0). To have a layer 1 of nektulos that is empty but that the patcher patch every time is useless.
    Fanra likes this.
  13. CrazyLarth Augur

At one time I thought yes it uses the default but I am not sure now but you can change the left drop down to default and see if it changes for you if you custom does not have that zone..