Quest UI could be better

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by quakedragon, Nov 6, 2021.

1. quakedragon Augur

Quest UI could be better

Let me explain
    Quest giver gives 10 quests
    Options are
    1. Accept
    2. Preview
    3. Decline All

So with 1
    I accept
    I want the other 9 nine quests though
    With 2
    sure ok I see what it is, its nice
    With 3
    Hrmmm decline all... OR I click the X button which does exactly the same thing!

Decline All, but where is the ACCEPT ALL?
    Theres 2 ways to decline all, but 0 ways to accept all.

UI sure could use ACCEPT ALL
    This NPC has all the quests, ACCEPT ALL 10 in 1 go!
  2. Fell Augur

They should also add a "Complete all quests" button as well, no?
  3. quakedragon Augur

Sure

I was also thinking, a way to group or the game groups my quests, instead of alphabetical order only.

Maybe tradeskills, expansion 12s, expansion 21s quests, from quest giver soandso, or let me group them
  4. Gialana Augur

Yes, it's slightly annoying to get a bunch of tasks that are listed in one window, but it's not too bad. This is what I do. I say the trigger word or phrase that brings up the quest offerings and hit accept. I leave the cursor hoovering over wherever I clicked that accept button. Then with my other hand, I hit Shift + Up arrow, then Enter. Then I click the mouse on the accept button. This way, it takes me 1 to 2 seconds per quest request.

I'm not opposed to an accept all button, but I don't think it would save the player much time.
    Randomized and Tatanka like this.
  5. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Same thing I've been doing for years.
    Randomized likes this.
  6. Arctodus Elder

A bunch of UI features seem very clunky to me and why I have to use EQInterface for pieces. I wish they would hire UI/UX folks as well as artist.
    Shindius likes this.
  7. Soulbanshee Augur

Accept all would only work on the occasions that the quest NPC offers concurrent quests, this is not always the case. I would venture a guess without looking into it that the majority of quest NPCs are not offering concurrent quests, and the time this would save would be very minimal.

What NPC are you looking at that offers 10 quests? The newbie NPC in PoK?
  8. Orbital101 Augur

I miss the days where you had to read text messages without keywords!
    Randomized and Yinla like this.
  9. quakedragon Augur

Yep, and the quests were meaningful too. Like Lightbringers they hated freeport guards.

You'd get one meaningful quest rather than "kill 5 snakes" "kill 5 rotdogs" "kill 5 this and that" after you do so come back and reget all 9 of these quests!
    One by One!
    Or Decline ALL!

hail
    help
    accept
    ok
    hail help accept ok
    hail help accept ok
    hail help accept ok

Oh you are a 3 boxer? That means
    HAIL HELP ACCEPT OK
    HAIL HELP ACCEPT OK
    HAIL HELP ACCEPT OK
    HAIL HELP ACCEPT OK
    HAIL HELP ACCEPT OK
    HAIL HELP ACCEPT OK
    HAIL HELP ACCEPT OK
    HAIL HELP ACCEPT OK
    HAIL HELP ACCEPT OK
    HAIL HELP ACCEPT OK
    HAIL HELP ACCEPT OK
    HAIL HELP ACCEPT OK
    HAIL HELP ACCEPT OK
    HAIL HELP ACCEPT OK
    HAIL HELP ACCEPT OK
    HAIL HELP ACCEPT OK
    HAIL HELP ACCEPT OK
    HAIL HELP ACCEPT OK
    HAIL HELP ACCEPT OK
    HAIL HELP ACCEPT OK
    HAIL HELP ACCEPT OK
    HAIL HELP ACCEPT OK
    HAIL HELP ACCEPT OK
    HAIL HELP ACCEPT OK
    HAIL HELP ACCEPT OK
    HAIL HELP ACCEPT OK
    HAIL HELP ACCEPT OK

27 times!
  10. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

There are a lot of quest givers that offer more than 1 quest, but you can only accept 1 and you can only have 1 quest from them at a time. So an accept all button would not necessarily help.
  11. quakedragon Augur

Maybe you haven't done old quests like HoT lately.
    https://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/npc.html?id=35723
    Theres NPCs that have way way more quests than him too

Thinking about that quest and how they can improve.
    1. Accept all quests button
    2. Just have 1 quest, but
    Kill 5 of something
    Opt kill 5 of these other kind
    Opt kill 5 of these other kind
    Reward is based off of the base plus the optionals
    3. Just kill stuff, and return when your finished and say you killed 600 HoT mobs that meet the criteria
    Reward: Heres 20% xp for you, you spent 4 hours killing them, we don't want to waste your time with
    HAIL
    HELP
    ACCEPT
    OK
    you just go do your business kill them, and come back when you want your reward, if its 5 mobs sure heres .5% xp
    if its 600 mobs sure, heres 20% xp
    if its 6000 mobs sure heres 200% xp DING DING

The way it is now,
    HAIL
    HELP
    ACCEPT
    OK

5 more quests listed
    HAIL
    HELP
    ACCEPT
    OK

x5 more times

Oh you box 12 characters?
    HAIL
    HELP
    ACCEPT
    OK
    x 72 (rather than 12 times)
  12. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Acutaually all you have to do to get the section box back up is to say the last word/phrase to him....if your having a hard time with this just wait till you get to TDS. This has nothing on that.
    Shindius likes this.
  13. quakedragon Augur

Think we don't know this already?
    So your method is,
    click chat box, drag it so its super big
    Help, Accept, Ok
    I still have 2 boxes to go through and theres 9 quests from 1 NPC so.... issue is not solved
    Help, Accept, Ok
    Help, Accept, Ok
    Help, Accept, Ok
    Help, Accept, Ok
    Help, Accept, Ok
    Help, Accept, Ok
    Help, Accept, Ok
    Help, Accept, Ok
    Help, Accept, Ok
    Help, Accept, Ok
    Help, Accept, Ok
    Help, Accept, Ok
    Help, Accept, Ok
    Help, Accept, Ok
    Help, Accept, Ok
    Help, Accept, Ok
    Help, Accept, Ok
    Help, Accept, Ok
    Help, Accept, Ok
    Help, Accept, Ok
    Help, Accept, Ok
    Help, Accept, Ok
    Help, Accept, Ok

Oh btw, did you have to scroll up by chance?
    Maybe just Hailing prevents you from having to scroll up to click on keyword, or just typing Help

Or
    Hail, Accept ALL QUESTS, Ok

You tell me which one is more user friendly

They have code redundancy,
    Decline All and clicking the X do the samething, meanwhile, nothing for accept all.

People talking about the old days and what not, the old days didn't have NPCs that have 9 kill quests that you repeat. Instead they were more like, hand me 4 crushbone belts,
    No hailing no need to get the quest, just hand me 4 crushbone belts.
    If I was to integrate the old day with 2021, I'd have it so just hand in a stack (can be 1000 stack) of whatever symbolance of the mob that they want me to kill over and over again.
    If I hand in 500 of there item, I get 500 worth of quest reward, if I hand in 10 of there item, I get 10 worth of the quest reward.
    I would make it like old days, classic EQ, just run up and hand in the item. None of this
    HAIL
    HELP
    ACCEPT
    OK
  14. Gialana Augur

You don't have to type the keyword each time, and you don't have to click on the keyword each time.

Shift + up arrow cycles through your previous entries in the chat window.

So for the first time, you either type the keyword or click the keyword and get your first quest.
    Then, like I said before, you can hit Shift + up arrow, and then hit enter. You don't even need to see your chat window. You also don't need to move your mouse cursor since the next time the quest window pops up, the "accept" button will be in the same place you clicked it the first time.

With my keyboard, which I think is a standard layout, to request the second and up quests, I keep my left ring finger on the right ctrl button, my left index finger on the up arrow, and my right middle finger on enter. I also have my right hand on the mouse, ready to click the left mouse button.
    Yinla likes this.
  15. Syylke_EMarr Augur

I love the anti-change folks that show up in these posts with their "well if you do this stupid thing, you don't need your change!" Pretty much none of the responses here actually provide a real reason why the OP's idea isn't a good one. Just because there's a way to accomplish the task does not mean there couldn't be a better way.

Yes there are extremely rare situations where you get the quest selection box and can only choose one of the options. Those are extremely rare though and probably should be reworked anyway.

The idea is a good one. It's an annoying process currently.
  16. Gialana Augur

You may not be including me in your reference, but I'll answer anyway. As I said before, I'm not opposed to an accept all button. At the same time, I don't think it will be as big of an improvement as the OP expects. That's why I offered a "stupid" method to improve efficiency so that the OP will have information not yet considered.

Here are some other things I can think of that others may not have immediately come to mind. There are some quest givers that will offer multiple quests with a single keyword, but there are others that require separate keywords for each of their offered quests. An accept all button would not help there. Additionally, every quest-giver that offers multiple group quests will only allow you to have one of their quests active at a time. Most of the NPCs that give out heroic adventures in Call of The Forsaken fall in this category. I wouldn't label that extremely rare.
  17. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Sometimes I don't want "all" but only one or two.

We are limited to 29 quests. So what would happen in that case if your close to being full? The system decides which to give you?

So drop one or two before you ask right? But I can't because they are part of a bigger quest like an earring or additional merc slot quest etc.

Originally F2P and Silver were limited on number of tasks they could have. That was changed but the "increase task limit" feature was still sold in marketplace up to a few years ago. Just a little background - has no bearing on squat here.

Many tasks/quest in the progression lines require you complete the first one before you can accept the second one even though the second or third ones are showing. You will get a message that you don't meet the requirements. So you would be prevented from "accept" all.

And worse case scenario, I decide to cancel all those quests and have to go thru them one by one and click cancel. So that in turn begs there to be a "cancel all" button to offset the "accept all" . So will that cancel all my tasks? How will it know which I want cancelled?

OP is just once again trying to remake the game. He looks for stuff to post about and get people riled up to respond

And that's ok with me, I really miss the debate club from high school. :p
    Shindius and Randomized like this.
  18. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Free clue for you.... we're not anti-change. We just know that nothing new gets developed.

OP wants a change to make X go Y% faster. Whether it's a good idea or not is irrelevant. It won't ever happen. So we offer a different way to do it, which makes it go 1/2 of Y% faster.

So, he can either do it the way we showed, and save SOME time, or keep asking for the even faster way. Except, it won't ever get developed.
    Shindius likes this.
  19. Syylke_EMarr Augur

Still a horrible outlook. "I don't think this will happen, so why even ask for it?" :rolleyes:
  20. Randomized Augur

An Accept All button would only work on a minimal amount of quest givers.

As others have said, most of the quests have progression lines in which you need to do one at a time in order before you get the next ones.

So adding an accept all button would help for what? 1-2 levels worth of quests in the game perhaps? Not really worth it. I 3 box consistently and it doesn't take but a minute to get 5-6 quests accepted on all 3 toons.

It really seems like you're going towards:

The games UI isn't built around boxing. Boxing was never truly an intended design in MMOs. People just decided to give it a go and figured it out and have succeeded with it. They've already implemented quite a few QoL changes. You don't need a "play the game for me" button.

Play the game. Also:

+1