Quest Items as Rare Drops-Elements of Kunark

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Gnomereaper, Aug 28, 2017.

1. Gnomereaper Augur

While one of the major areas in Everquest is "questing," and "ever in it." But "forever" isn't necessarily something of note. While there is invested a great deal of time and effort into raiding as well as progression and quest drops. With the Elements of Kunark as rare drops during raid events creates a bottleneck for quest completion.

As an Everquest player for a long time, there have always been bottlenecks with only one item dropping or it dropping rarely. The infamous Inku'ta being in mind would be one.

When a quest requires greater raid participation, there's a tendency towards wanting to "collect everything possible" or to "see something completed." While the balance effect for the items are in part having a quested item, and considering the raid drop is rare.

Would it be possible to maintain the rarity of the drop in it's raw state, but then have a "bonus drop" that dropped each time that would require a further quest or a tradeskill combine.

For example:

"Underpowered Element of Kunark"->Tradeskill drops->Sub combines->Element of Kunark->Final Item

It's best to often times offer the path of least difficulty to completionists, but also the path of maximum difficulty to other completionists. A sort of pick your poison.
  2. Natal Augur

Elements of Kunark is not a quest item. It is a raid gear item.
    Sheex, Sindaiann and fransisco like this.
  3. fransisco Augur

This
    There hasn't really been anything worth mentioning for questing for several expansions. Its all just completing acheivements and progression.
  4. Lianeb Augur

Then it should be on the raid Vendor
  5. Act of Valor The Newest Member

Raid rares (burdens) generally aren't.
  6. Lianeb Augur

Starting in TBM and carrying over to EoK
  7. Act of Valor The Newest Member

I'm not sure what you are referring to.
  8. svann Augur

There are just a few TDS raid items that go for 750 crystals. Belts and a poison cure clickie. Maybe those were rare? Was there any TDS item that was not sold at vendor?
  9. Lianeb Augur

The raid Vendor Era as we know it today started in VoA (yes i know there were vendors prior) but nothing like now.
    VoA no raid rares that i know of
    RoF Raid rares on vendor after acheivements
    CoF Raid rares on vendor after acheivements
    TDS Raid rares on vendors after acheivements
    TBM Raid rare not on Vendors
    EoK Raid rare not on Vendors

So your comment of Generally aren't on vendors, is only true for the most recent expansions was my point.
  10. EnchFWO Augur

Let's not also forget the Box HP and Eye TC clicky from ROF, the disease cure shield from COTF and everything else people have mentioned as rares that ARE on a vendor for extremely high prices... The only things not on a vendor have been the evolving items and (maybe an evolving item?) the Element.

That said... No, Element shouldn't be on a vendor. It's not an item and it doesn't upgrade the ability of any item aside from stats. If you love the item ability so much then keep the group version. There are completely comparable raid items for every single one of the slots that the Element could upgrade (it's even debatable whether or not the Element upgrades are superior in many cases).

All TDS items were available for sale provided you had the necessary flags/chieves for it. As for TBM... the only thing not available were the two augs and again that was a HUGE argument that the playerbase lost at (and decide for yourself if it was the right or wrong decision).

I'm truly curious what item(s) the OP is desperately wanting Elements for? If its a certain one or two then you should have prioritized better in loot distribution because after 10 months there should have been plenty of drops.

Edit: Lianeb beat me on most of this :p
  11. svann Augur

I dont know about the OP, but Id really like an upgraded Honed Wurmslayer for my bard. I honestly think the huge ratio gain will be more dps than the proc from my hornscale blade, except during flurry of notes which doesnt last that long anyway. Plus it gains huge AC and the pseudo-rune. There is nothing comparable.
  12. Sindaiann Augur

We have had 38 Elements drop in the expansion, with some people nabbing 2.

It isn't quite yet an alt item for us, but I agree Svann. My bard would like one too :)
  13. svann Augur

Well, Im not an alt but we still have so many people ahead of me there is better than even chance that I wont get one before the new expac hits. And will we still farm eok for that one item then? Doubtful imo. We do still do crypt of sul for the right eye but thats just 2 quick kills and its a 100% drop. I dont think it will be the same for the element.
  14. smash Augur

No reason for that.
  15. Gynek Lorekeeper

It is a pretty ridiculous drop rate for how useful it is even just for casters. We've had roughly 25 EoK wins without a single Element drop now, and that seems a little absurd to me for a raid drop. Maybe even just bring the drop rate up marginally?
  16. Sindaiann Augur

I know your not an alt, sorry that was just my sarcasm.

I feel ya.
  17. Maedhros High King

Wow you guys have had great luck. We've only had 27 - 1 of which dropped from Lcea, but when the server crashed we lost it and it was never returned to the person I awarded it to. You did beat all the content a few weeks ahead of us, so youre total wins are definitely higher. We cut out Lcea fairly often though, because that raid is such a drag, and I have noticed that that horrible raid in particular seems to be the highest chance to drop the Element in my experience.

We have not had one goto alts yet, but it is really close. All I can say is that being in ROV, its gotta be quite a long line to get the rare items. We are recruiting bards though, you can get the Element ahead of someones alt! ;)
    Sindaiann likes this.
  18. Jumbur Improved Familiar

Imo the element is too rare, I think they should up the drop rate, or make the droprate dependent on how well the fight goes:
    If you beat the vanquisher achievements conditions for the fight, it should have increased chance to drop, or something like that.
  19. Warpeace Augur

I believe its completely range with the Elements or maybe they just like to drop on FV. Have had 37 drop up to the 21st of Aug. More dropped this last Monday want to say at least 2 more.