PSA: The forthcoming patch will break many custom UIs

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Schadenfreude, Mar 7, 2022.

1. Schadenfreude Augur

There's been a small amount of discussion in the Test patch thread and a few posts over on EQInterface but quite a few popular UIs remain unpatched.

Hats off to the small amount of people keeping a few dozen UIs alive, hopefully we don't lose any more as I basically cannot play without SARS. *

* Not you South African Revenue Service. You I can happily live without.
    minimind, Yinla and Nennius like this.
  2. Nennius Curmudgeon

I had understood SARS to be a virus. It appears that I was only partially correct. Based upon what I know of the upcoming patch, it appears my custom target window may not work. I am hoping that some "brighter than me folks" will choose to upload an improved version at

https://www.eqinterface.com/
  3. Wyre Wintermute I'm just a butterly dreaming I'm a man

Drakah's is up to date, but the new version won't be available until the evening before patch day (tomorrow) so people don't update early and break their UI..
  4. Svann2 The Magnificent

May have to go back to default buff, short buff, and target windows. Ive taken a look and couldnt figure it out. I suspect that it would be easy for someone that knows a little sql, but I dont.
  5. Nudia Augur

This is relatively easy to fix for some UIs, so long as you weren't doing anything too odd before (such as the staggered location of the buffs).

Some of the common UIs have already been fixed. I've fixed a similar or maybe older version of the one Leigo has posted fixes for.

If you have a copy of what you're currently using, I can take an amateur stab at it, and maybe one of the more versed UI authors can assist if I can't.
  6. Svann2 The Magnificent

https://www.eqinterface.com/downloads/fileinfo.php?id=6822
    I posted this target window a couple years ago. It was Finalstands originally, then I took it and copied his work to increase the number of debuff slots to 97 which is max. If you or anyone can figure out how to make it work again Id appreciate it.
  7. Nudia Augur

Close enough? It's not perfect, but I think it looks reasonable.

[IMG]
    Svann2 likes this.
  8. Rexa Ask someone else for buffs

I made a similar target buff window but my problem was that hovering over the buffs/debuffs did not link the names nor time left. Does yours work on that front?
  9. Nudia Augur

Hmm, it was, but I didn't realize only pieces of it. Back to the drawing board.
  10. Angahran Augur

I have a 'test patch' of the Buff, SD Buff and Target windows for my UI on EQInterface.
    I'll update the main download once this hits the live servers.

Unfortunately the staggered slots are no more which sucks.
    Rexa likes this.
  11. Svann2 The Magnificent

Buffs and short buffs work for me but targetwindow still gives me an error then loads default ui (on test server). Is there a file it needs from your full UI?

edit: also, cant grab and move buff or shortbuff window
    edit2: was able move them where I wanted by setting <Style_Titlebar to true, move it, and then set it back to false after so it looks better
  12. Angahran Augur

The patch is a patch for my UI so trying to use the targetwindow without it probably wont work.
    What error is it giving ?

I haven't moved the buff windows in forever so didn't notice you couldn't.
  13. Angahran Augur

From the image it looks like the numbers are in front of the buff 'buttons' which is why the names and timers do not show.
  14. Svann2 The Magnificent

from dbg.txt
    00834:UI ERROR: Error loading skin "myui\", attempting to load default.
  15. Angahran Augur

so you've downloaded my complete ui and then overwrote with the test patch ?

if you could post all the errors from the uierrors file I may be able to figure it out.
  16. Angahran Augur

I just downloaded my full UI plus the test patch and loaded them successfully on both live and test servers. (yes, it looks a little rough on live because the code hasn't been updated on the server yet.)
  17. Svann2 The Magnificent

I was hoping to use just the targetwindow and not the complete ui.
    Anyway, from uierrors:
    [Tue Mar 08 17:20:50 2022] XML reference error! Ui2DAnimation[7]:A_SquareIndicatorTop[1288] referenced but NEVER declared!
    XML reference error! Ui2DAnimation[7]:A_SquareIndicatorBottom[1289] referenced but NEVER declared!
    XML reference error! Ui2DAnimation[7]:A_SquareIndicatorLeft[1290] referenced but NEVER declared!
    XML reference error! Ui2DAnimation[7]:A_SquareIndicatorRight[1291] referenced but NEVER declared!
    XML reference error! Ui2DAnimation[7]:A_SquareIndicatorFill[1292] referenced but NEVER declared!
    [Tue Mar 08 17:20:50 2022] Error validating symbol table.

Looks simple, but I dont know where to look for that. Maybe its declared in another xml?
  18. Angahran Augur

Sorry, I built this UI for myself so it's not a mix and match deal. All those 'square' elements are in the templates and/or animations files.
  19. Emilari UI Designer

The target window I made for myself is based off yours, I'm about to take a look at it now. Unless the back end (Darkpaw's side) of things is vastly different to what they did to the buff and song window, I can fix it.
    Svann2 likes this.
  20. Eyashusa Lorekeeper

I really wish that it was about just updating the UI files. For those of us using Vert and several other UI's, the offset buff/song slot functionality is just being removed. There is not a programmatical solution for this.

It is a shame, that for years the default UI sat stagnant while the community created many wonderful alternatives. I am all about change, and if there is a reason behind it, then please share! At least I can ponder that while I try and find a replacement for my UI. There are so few Custom UI's left, and many have been taken over or maintained after their original authors have left the game. I have had to replace more monitors than UI's since coming back about 8 years ago.

In the future DarkPaw, I would suggest reaching out to the community regarding changes like this. I guarantee the UI community have fielded and implemented many more requests than have found its way into the default UI.

Hats off to all of you out there, that have worked on UI files over the years for folks!

Eya

R.I.P. Savok's Vert UI 12-17-2011 to 03-09-2022