Progression server that only goes up to PoP?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Tegl, Feb 14, 2014.

1. Tegl Journeyman

I read this in the notes from the Dev Chat last night. Is this true? That would be AWESOME. Awesome in the terms of it never goes past PoP, ever.

=)
  2. Nolrog Augur

Devs did not commit to a new one. They said a new progression server is not on the table right now, but they would consider an alternate rule set server. Then they threw out a few ideas, such as the one you mentioned.
  3. Serriah_Test Augur

To be honest, they should stop at Velious if they did a server like that.

The game then stays on Norrath, and the Sleeper, Kerafym, is the baddest dude on the planet (as should be).

No killing the Gods (that was just dumb). It opened the game up to alternate realities, heavy instancing, and ridiculous amounts of AAs that allowed players to become godly. Even the ending of PoP was pretty terrible. "Oh, let's just reset time!"
    I guess what I'm trying to say is that everything started down the slippery slope right around the Luclin release. Fricken moon cats, pyramids, and aliens...
    Gythlen and Chikkin like this.
  4. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

I'd like to see a PC server with Alkabor rule set and zones.
    Moklianne, Aenvar and Chikkin like this.
  5. Izcurly Augur

Stop using the word progression when you want something that doesn't progress. Just my opinion.
  6. Yieu New Member

Interesting that Thom seemed open to a server locked at PoP. Perhaps it may be a good time to mail in the petition I made a few years ago that garnered 1300 signatures verified as unique for a time locked release suggested at 6-12 months per expansion up to Velious in which content unlocks are not affected by progression/kills but time only.
    Chikkin likes this.
  7. Gragas Augur

Yep should be called a Stagnation Server.
    Reht and Chikkin like this.
  8. Potawatomi Augur

I thought instancing was started in GoD?
  9. Cidran Augur

This sounds very interesting. I admit I was sad when I read about Al'Kabor shutting down, even considered getting a mac with the sole purpose of trying out that server. It would be so great to see it resurrected, opened to PC users I doubt it would have to close in a very long time.
    Chikkin likes this.
  10. Tarrin Augur

Personally, I think that is when the game started skyrocketing. I personally would not have stuck around in EQ is it continued in a formula similar to Velious/Kunark.
    Retty likes this.
  11. Axxius Augur

...or Nostalgia Server.

I know some very good players who retired from high end raiding because they no longer had time or desire for it. They went to Al'Kabor to play EQ 'as it used to be'. The problem with TLP servers is that they don't stay in the 'golden age of EQ' for long. But Al'Kabor did.

I think this is a very good idea.
    Serona likes this.
  12. Tinytinker Augur

Another Al'Kabor server would be fun to play on. I liked the one on EQMac.
  13. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

Anything like this would not really be anything like what Alkabor was; since it would have all the base changes that have been made to the game since PoP came out, but it would just not progress or include anything that was added after PoP.

Plane of Time B, always was semi-Instanced. Each guild could do the zone and not be disturbed by other guilds; but if Guild A had beaten the zone, then Guild B went to do the zone "filler" named would spawn which would not drop loot. Sometime after LDoN came out, which was the expansion which introduced full instances to EQ, they changed PoTimeB to a full instance.

The sad thing is that the only thing that a server like this would do is make the people whining for a Classic server to whine even more; just about specific things. Just to Luclin, just to Velious, just to Kunark, just original, needs to have original coding, etc; things like that will be asked for, and if any population problems spring up those will be the same excuses for why those are happening.
    code-zero likes this.
  14. Gythlen Augur

I would play the game again on a server that stopped BEFORE PoP.

Planes killed it for me, like it did for so many others.
  15. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

If J Chan cannot do it, thats fine. But that would be my preference for the next server.
  16. Waring_McMarrin Augur

If you don't remember all the drama involved with progression prior to instancing all you need to do is look at the current progression servers when they where working their way through early expansions. There was plenty of issues with raid mobs and everyone trying to kill them before another guild/raid could. Personally I am glad we are gone from those days.
  17. Chikkin Augur

Sounds like that server wouldn't be for you then right?

Some of us liked the competition, the race, etc.
    Aenvar likes this.
  18. Serona Elder

Pumped for this if it happens.
    Chikkin likes this.
  19. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Competition != training of other raids to get the kill or being prevented from even trying because others can start earlier then you.
  20. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

It's also obvious that you weren't around for this last set of Progression servers going thru that; there was no competition or race in the end. Just GMs popping all the raid mobs for each guild/raid that wanted to try the event regardless of the respawn times. Some GMs even allowed the guild that had just beat it previously to come in and kill the newly respawned raid mob and take the loot, then respawn the mob again for the raid that had it stolen. There will never be a server which actually has any competition or real race again; just ones which have whining and GMs that give the whiners what they want.
    Waring_McMarrin likes this.