Prestige Augments - Any secondary use?

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by ThrillPickle, Nov 5, 2023.

1. ThrillPickle New Member

Returning player here. So it seems that a lot of my old augments are labeled as "Prestige" now and no longer work. (Well, they don't work without a paid subscription.)

I guess I could pry them all out with Augment Distiller... or just flat out destroy them.

Which leads me to my question. If you can't use a Prestige Augment, does it have any other use?
    (Like how you can turn in old gear for tribute)

Just wanted to double-check before I start dragging all of these old LDoN augments to the destroy button.
  2. Iven the Lunatic

Most of them are worth some tribute points. Only do destroy or trade them for tribute points if you are absolutely sure that you never will use them again.
    Annastasya likes this.
  3. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Aug distillers are pretty cheap. Unless they're already well under your current level (meaning they aren't that good, anyway), don't destroy them.
  4. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

You can resell LDON augs back to one of the wayfarers but why do you need more LDON points, I mean really back when LDON was THE thing we all got so many points we could never spend them

However the Frosty Gem of Enhanced Protection is still valued by tanks to this day. It is from a raid in Everfrost and some players still go for it.

This may give you a better idea. Only a few years old which is not that long for armor and augs in the game.

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq/index.php?threads/any-ldon-augments-worth-having.273671/
  5. Gialana Augur

Are you getting the benefit of the gear minus the augment? If so, you can just leave the augment in the gear. If the gear itself is prestige, even when it doesn't have an aug, then it won't be usable by you even if you remove the aug.
  6. fransisco Augur

You have gotten better at destroy (213)
  7. ThrillPickle New Member

Maybe I should have been more specific...

When I say "LDON augments" I don't mean the ones you buy from the camp. I mean the ones that drop inside the dungeon. They have specs like this:

+5 Magic Resist (Exquisite Pearl of Magical Warding)
    +5 Stamina (Flawed Yellow Sphere of Fortitude)
    +5 Strength (Flawed Green Shard of Might)
    +5 Dexterity (Flawed Purple Gem of Deftness)
    +5 Agility (Flawed Blue Jewel of Nimbleness)
    +5 AC (Fabled Ancient Fossil)
    +20 HP (Faceted Gem of Might)
    +2 HP Regen (Warm Ore of Redemption)

None of them have a 'Tribute' rating listed.

Would you still say they are worth removing? Or, doing anything with them other than destroying them?
    (I sure of a lot of these in the bank too)
  8. Alnitak Augur

Those augs need to be upgraded as soon as you can. Just destroy those (and clear the bank too)
  9. ThrillPickle New Member

Yep, I'm going to do that when I get back to my main server. Because...

Over the weekend I started over on a new server to experience being a newbie all over again. Wow, there's a lot more loot than I remember. And augments are randomly dropping.

Non-prestige augments

With specs similar to (or better than) the dungeon-dropped LDoN augments.

Which makes me wonder why these cruddy augments from a dozen expansions ago are marked as "prestige" and don't work anymore. Where as non-prestige newbie zone augments just litter the landscape.

Bear in mind, I'm not asking for anything to be changed. I'm just commenting that... this seems kind of silly. :p

Was this +5 STA augment from a 3-party minimum dungeon supposed to encourage people to buy a subscription? :D
  10. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Prestige simply means your a paying account. Non prestige is for Free to Play accounts.

And that is how it all started back in the day. In order to get the "best" augments you had to have an All Access account. And those used to be the best - just consider what max hp were back then and you would understand. Just like Veteran Rewards were based on customer loyalty.

Times have changed and all accounts get Veteran Rewards at level 1 - you no longer have to be member for X amount of years. Many things have changed between Free and All Access.

Augments have changed and yes, there are non prestige dropping all over. However, once you get way up in level you will find the best ones are still prestige.

Hopefully you went thru the tutorial when you started the new character. There is a lot to learn in there and although it kicks you out around level 12 there is also in the follow up tutorial called "Out of Gloomingdeep" for any level. Free bags on one of those quests
  11. Tatanka Joe Schmo

You're looking at very old stuff from a modern perspective, so that's why it looks weird.

LDoN was the expac which introduced augs. There weren't any augs better than those, because there weren't ANY other augs. Also, at that time, there was no prestige, because there was no F2P. Everyone subbed.

When F2P was introduced, they went back and marked as prestige items from those expacs, based on the expac it was introduced in. Do you really want them to spend time going through hundreds of thousands of items, to see if it makes sense for the items to be prestige for a level 120? And don't forget, with TLP servers, many of those items are current, so you really can't change the "prestige-ness" of the item, anyway.

It's really not that complicated. Be glad that there's good non-prestige replacements available, have a chuckle at the humor in it, and move on.
  12. Randomized Augur

So in your absence you've missed a lot. Back in 2003 when LDoN was released and new and current, a +5 STA Aug was a big deal. Gear wasn't loaded to the brim with stats.

Now you jump ahead 3-4 years to 2006-2007 and 6-7 expansions later and they introduce near gear/augs/weapons into the game with the release of TSS expansion. And they make them world wide drops with level ranges from 1-10 up to 59-75. And you find gear like this: https://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=75292

Which blows any gear it the respective level ranges out of the water, including raid gear from prior expansions.

So what youre seeing is 3-4 years and 6-7 expansions worth of progression and forward movement in the game added into the world. So of course it's going to be a lot better.

As for prestige vs not. Non-prestige is usually going to be your intro/tier 1 gear. Group content and higher tier gear gets flagged as prestige (which the instances were considered)

Now at level 30 and what not they're not really trying to push that subscription. It's just the way the flagging fell. 20 years ago, a +5 STA Aug mattered because you weren't maxed on stats. But now youre at 255 in all stats by level 35. And once you start getting into that 85-90 range when mob difficulty starts scaling exponentially, the difference between starting gear and end gear in an expansion sion really adds up and makes it worthwhile.

And it only compounds more and more with each passing expansion.

Also, until this time tomorrow, there's a bonus going on. So youre getting a lot more experience than normal (3x), a lot more loot (2.5x), more plat drop, etc etc. Which is why things seem like it's falling out of the sky