Poor little ol' TEST Server

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Marope, May 7, 2020.

1. Marope Lorekeeper

She's a Down again, Boo Hoo :(

And the Server status page is not working properly also, It states Test is up even though it has been down for a while now.
  2. Poops_McGilicudy New Member

the server status page for me will say up when i check it every 20 mins or so
    cool. Login
    *server down*
    *checks status page*
    Now says ded

-_- wut
  3. Poops_McGilicudy New Member

ok now it says its up when clearly it is not

*grumbles*
  4. Ardus New Member

And down again. Any chance we could get some explanation for the multiple crashes today? If it's for Overseer, my vote is to scrap it, that addition isn't interesting and, IMO, doesn't add any value to this game.
  5. Nennius Curmudgeon

It is the "Test" server after all. If any server is going to have issues that is the server where they should be caused, corrected, and hopefully prevented. The crashes recently on the other servers, however, would seem to indicate there are are bigger issues.

P.S. Blaming this on the Overseer system seems a bit of a stretch. The internet is rather clogged these days and that "might" have an impact on things. In any case, the work to improve stability needs to continue.

P.P.S. I actually like the Overseer system. It has helped a LOT to level three of my characters.
  6. Ardus New Member

Agreed, it is more reasonable that test or Beta would go down versus live servers, but there are people that play full-time on test and contribute to development via feedback and bug reports, I don't think it's unreasonable for some communication around server downtime and crashes.

Also, nothing in specific against the Overseer system, that was just a rumor propagation on my part, I thought I saw a few comments in general chat that the updates earlier in the week were focused on Overseer, so it's reasonable to assume that the difficulty in keeping the server up stemmed from changes made during that update. I don't personally like it, so that was my opinion, but can certainly understand if you, and others, have enjoyed it as an addition.

p.s. Sorry for the long post....
  7. Hendar Augur

It is OK to be frustrated with the lack of communication (up to a point), but crashes are to be expected on the Test server.. I think most people are clear on that, but it needs restating.
    It isn't clear to me when anyone at DPG knows anything, so that might be one delay. Devs should be spending their time working on solutions. But surely someone else could give us short updates.

There is a tendency for some to thing of these problems as an us-vs-them situation. Lack of communication fosters this. If I was advising DPG, I would urge them to recast this in an we-are-all-in-this-together light. Operations doesn't want to deal with crashes. Devs don't want to be fixing code (if that is the problem). Players don't want to see these either.

Assume that players are amateurs at this sort of thing, and that DPG are professionals. The burden of managing the situation must be on DPG. We don't need much (they probably don't have much to say) but something would help the situation.