Please tell me how to raid tank ( Warrior )

Discussion in 'Tanks' started by Melo, Feb 6, 2014.

1. Melo New Member

I have nothing left to do in the current group game so Ive decided to look into a raiding guild and would like some advice.

Do i go about it the same way I would in a normal group? Just try to hold agro and survive?

Any particular order of AAs and/or discs that I should use from the start?

Any and all knowledge would be great. Thank you.
  2. Putrify Elder

My thought is to check with the guild you end up with. They may have a different flavor than another guild.

Your role can vary depending on the other classes on the raid, etc. If you're new to raiding and don't have the gear/AA's needed to be a Main Tank, you may be peeling adds off support, adding some DPS, or making coffee runs for the clerics. =)

So, yeah--you'll need gear and AAs to be able to hold aggro and survive, but check with the folks you'll be playing with to find out what AAs/Discs, etc. they want you to use in certain situations.
  3. Explicit Augur

Send me a tell in game at ;tell Tunare.Explicit if you'd like. I wrote something in-game in the middle of ROF for just these kinds of situations and would be happy to send it to you as well as discuss some of the changes to that for recent times.
  4. Tearsin Rain Augur

firstly, i would recommend my "being a raid tank" post - it's technically written for knights, but a lot of it is very applicable to wars as well:
    https://forums.station.sony.com/eq/...o-tanking-info-dump-for-the-commonwealth.180/

by and large, raiding as a war is more or less the same as grouping - as you said, get aggro and hold it, and survive.
    but there are a number of unique factors to raiding that wars have to consider, mostly:
    1. tank rotations - in a raid, you need all the healers on the same tank, so you need to establish and maintain an order so that the healers knows who to heal. this includes it being important to provide clean and well announced 'tank swaps' when discs are dropping.
    2. being aware of human reaction times and working to work around them - say you're in a tank lineup, and you're turn is up next. the currently tanking war would say 'okay my land stand is about to wear off, next tank get ready'. you would then announce 'okay i'm taking the mob now' and then use a disc (last stand if it's a relatively easy mob to heal, flash of anger if it's a big nasty hitter and need to give the healers a chance to switch targets) hit ageless or ae taunt or something, followed by mock and all your other hate stuff so you can take and hold the mob.

be aware of the tank lineup, get a feel for how fast your healers switch targets, announce when you're taking aggro on big named - these are the most important aspects of war raid tanking.
  5. Bigstomp Augur

The biggest issue I normally see with tanks stepping from the group game into raiding is aggro management.

In a group you pretty much always want to be top on aggro.

In a raid that isn't the case. You want to know when to use your abilities, and even more importantly when NOT to use them.
  6. Makavien Augur

Flash is not long enough in itself most of the time . You use fortitude to engage mobs and your pets to establish aggro.

1 will cause the pet to root the mob in terms of hate and you will need to stand as close as possible. The other you need to be careful when the npc is going to die or it will aggro other npcs that spawn after the one you cast it on dies.

Almost all the times it is best to stand as close as possible to the npc your tanking.

Get ready to create macros . Hitting abilities 1 by one makes you slower overall in the raid game.

Flash is best served when you see yourself getting low and hit it to save yourself. Takes some time to build the reaction time needed but it saves me a lot.

There is 2 types of guild warrior set ups 1 you only tank while last stand is up .

The other is where you tank till you die.
    I have liked both methods. But I tend to last a very long time once heals are on me in the tank till you die set up.

Almost every boss we only need 1 warrior to tank in Fire and Fury the exceptions are the first new raid. That will change because our healers are pretty pro when they want to be.

The biggest thing is always stick to the tank order. And watch for loose adds.
  7. Makavien Augur

Most of my hotkeys

My bazu or hate spam key leave out (----) thats for reference's

Line 1 /attack on
    Line 2 /disc ridicule rk. iii
    Line 3 /alt act 801(knee strike)
    Line 4 /disc krondal's roar rk. iii
    Line 5 /alt act 3732(gut punch)

Topple spam key after ridicule refreshes i spam this- then cast the hate spam key so topple is used instead of ridicule

Line 1 /alt act 611,/pause 2 (battle leap)
    Line 2 /attack on
    Line 3 /alt act 801 (knee strike)
    Line 4 /disc shield topple rk. ii(rk. ii or iii)
    Line 5 /sit off

Engage 1

Line 1 /g >my engaging message<
    Line 2 /disc fortitude discipline
    Line 3 /alt act 912 (warlord's Fury)
    Line 4 /disc Unbroken Attention
    Line 5 /alt act 3213 (projection of fury)

Engage 2

Line 1 /alt act 131 (rage of rallos)
    Line 2 /attack on
    Line 3 /alt act 804 (warlord's bravery)
    Line 4 /disc Krondal's Roar
    Line 5 /alt act 3732 (gut punch)

Last Stand Key

Line 1 /g I am tanking %t message
    Line 2 /disc no time to bleed rk. iii
    Line 3 /timer 6300
    Line 4 /disc last stand discipline rk. iii
    Line 5 /alt act 130 (resplendent glory)

Key's to Hit after this

Warrior's Auspice
    Anguish BP( To smooth out the spike damage even more)
    Rof BP(AE heavy fights /or to survive a round)
    Epic (Ae Heavy fights)
    Mark of the Mage hunter(Ae Heavy fights)

Mini Defensive 1 (also use steadfast defense here)

Line 1 /alt act 1686,/pause 2 (brace for impact)
    Line 2 /alt act 967,/pause 2 (blade guardian)
    Line 3 /alt act 734,/pause 2 (hold the line)
    Line 4 /alt act 1400,/pause 2 (first spire of the warlord)
    Line 5 /g please give me spires and buffs to help me live message

Mini Defensive 2

Line 1 /disc steadfast defense
    Line 2 /alt act 2000,/pause 4 (armor of experience)
    Line 3 /alt act 7016,/pause 4 (glyph of the master)
    Line 4 /alt act 804,/pause 4 (warlord's bravery)
    Line 5 /alt act 300 (warlord's tenacity)
  8. Makavien Augur

Another big thing most new tanks don't even know about is weapon set ups .

It is very important to use a no damage set up quite a bit of the time. Aged left eye of xygoz in primary and shield in secondary

Also have an offhand only set up for npc's with big damage shields. Aged left eye of xygoz in primary and your biggest hate weapon in the offhand.
  9. Battleaxe Augur

It also helps to have others coordinate with you the use of Auras, Guardian's Circle III and Epics. Plus there's a whole bunch of not terribly effective but anything is better than nothing things you can do.

My Top Three Tips to anyone moving from the group game to the raid game are:

1. Do whatever you are asked to do well and cheerfully. If you need to work on something, work on it.
    2. No drama. None. Not loot, targets, assignment, strats, ... none. Not ever. "That's BS!" is not your call.
    3. Maintain high attendance. Beta, learning, farming, older content for new members/alts. Whatever it is if it's a guild function show up. 100% is good. 101%+ is better. Maintain - not for three months, till SOE turns off the lights.

Everything else can be learned. Those three you either exhibit or you don't.
  10. Bamkan Augur

RaidLoot spell parser has this spell as.

[23528] Warlord's Fury
    Target: Self
    Resist: Beneficial, Blockable: Yes
    Casting: 0s
    Duration: 2m (20 ticks), Extendable: Yes, Dispelable: Yes
    1: Increase Spell and Bash Hate by 1% to 25%
    2: Increase Hit Damage Taken by 10%
    3: Limit Class: WAR
    Text: Your muscles bulge with rage.

Lucy has the slot 2 as
    Limit: Mana_Max (10)

So which is it? :) I'm guessing as you use it in your main defensive line up that you're not taking extra damage. Just seems weird to have the Mana_Max thing when warriors don't have mana.
  11. Repthor Augur

most importent thing for a raid tank is reflexes and attention span. u can go a whole fight and not do jack if your second in line if eveything goes well. if if dosent ull be up and are in a blink of an eye expected to be on top of the hatelist without killing to many raid dps in the process

theres alot of hotkeys that work maks keys above works. but isent the end all be all set up. u need to evlauate how ur gear is match vs the content your hitting. if u gear is poor and u bit lacking on hp u might just have to hit warlords tenacity with defensive instead of useing it to prolong your lasting power . your 2 most importent jobs as a main boss tank is do whatever u can to live thru your defensive and haveing control over the mob yoru tanking everythign els is bonus

theres tons of diffrent ways to play and to pair your discs and it all about how ur gear matches up bs the content your hitting vs th qauility of the gears in your guild plus your group make upo and how they are set up

dont get randomly killed if your next up to tank

theres no only right way

theres plenty of wrong ways however

feel free to send me a tell ;tell Povar.Repthor
  12. Kamea Augur

Since the addition of pets, aggro on raid bosses is far easier than aggro in groups. Use phantom a lot, and you won't have issues.

You need to learn to be able to pay attention and quickly take aggro when it's your turn. This isn't a skill you can learn in group content. One tip I can give is that if the tank before you isn't in your group, put him in your extended target window so you'll quickly know he's still alive if aggro bounces. You also need to get a tank IQ and know how to mesh with the other warriors when the script goes out of the window, specifically when people die and the TO is no other applicable. Specifically, don't let aggro bounce tank to tank, that will confuse clerics and multiple tanks could die.

You'll also learn a lot more about pet aggro on raids than you do in groups. Again, use phantom a lot and it won't be an issue.

As far as order of discs/AA/clicks, I'm generally in the camp that you should use as many AA/clicks while FS is running as you can. A warrior with FS and nothing else take more damage than a knight. A lot of wars hold back on the AA/clicks for when FS fades, but your job is to survive through your disc, especially as someone who will be comparatively undergeared.
  13. Makavien Augur

Hmm I am not sure tbh . I thought it just increased your hate on every ability and stuff .
    This ability greatly increases the hate generation in your attacks for up to 2 minutes.

And on hard content I do blow all 3 of the defensives put together just to be a bit clearer )