Please Open Jagged Pine for exping

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Maxham, Jul 13, 2015.

1. Numiko Augur

now that we have guides, maybe if they have some free time they could run some of the old events, I imagine the old bloody Kithakor code is all lost but it would be cool to run some of the other old ones, like the one that resulted in the Butcherblock Hammer being handed out and such.
  2. Simone Augur

They have instancing now so overcrowding isn't an issue. Jaggedpine would only add more power the game which would trivialize much of the existing loots currently in the game. I personally don't really like The Hole being opened out of era but it is. I don't really want to see more and more zones getting opened out of era especially several expansions early. The appeal of these servers is that they let you "play like it's 1999" or at least that's how they are advertised. Opening up Luclin era zones during the Classic era kind of defeats that.
  3. Banuvan Augur

DBG put themselves in this position by opening the Hole up early. Nobody to blame but themselves.
  4. Simone Augur

They did that before there was instancing. Now they have instancing so the overcrowding argument that led to The Hole being opened early wont apply to future zones.
    Elkay likes this.
  5. Lejaun Augur

It's a mixed message. Jagged Pine won't be opened up to allow for more content. It wasn't part of original EQ.

The Hole, on the other hand, wasn't part of the original content either and was added in, is ok however to be opened up so it will allow for more content.

Huh?

I could care less about Jagged Pine. Never liked the zone myself. The logic to not include it seems flawed, however.

It's a bit late, the early game is slowing down rapidly for the higher levels, but I agree with content like The Warrens being open early on. By the time things like that are opened up, no one will have any reason to go there.
  6. Elkay Augur

The Hole was added to create more zones to XP in before instancing was put in place.

JPF was one of my favorite XP zones. Some people really like it.
  7. Lejaun Augur

It doesn't change the fact that DBG isn't willing to consider putting it in because of the reasoning that it wasn't part of the original content, but the hole was. Regardless of why The Hole was allowed in, it's still using a rule that contradicts itself.
  8. Simone Augur

Many of us would have preferred The Hole not being available early but it's already done. We hope that The Hole is the last such zone released ahead of schedule.
    Elkay likes this.
  9. Flandersian Augur

Many of us would have preferred other options, as we knew strictly classic would be an overcrowded mess. We hope that they release Warrens, Stonebrunt, Jaggedpine and other "non-classic" zones that will only add depth to the available content without trivializing any current content.

Before you start with the loot argument, naked mages are the top dog. Slightly better mid level loot won't shift the power in any way.
  10. Maxham New Member

If loot in JP is issues for some people, remove it... Like others have said I am pretty sure anything the drops in The Hole > JP items but that is beside the idea I had and reason i posted. I just want another outdoor exp spot. Im sure many others are up and comming 40's trying to make that level 50 push.
  11. Numiko Augur

I would have preferred they had not tried to cram 5 or 6 times the amount of people then what the game was designed to support into one server.
    Simone likes this.
  12. Prathun Developer

Perhaps for a future progression server launch, when and if that occurs, we can discuss whether we'd like The Hole to open later and/or Jaggedpine to launch earlier. One could certainly make arguments for both. For this round, we opened The Hole early to provide another high level dungeon to help spread out what we expected would be a crowded top end. This decision was made long before we saw the populations that Ragefire and later Lockjaw would have, and even longer before we planned to load balance all of the hunting zones on these servers. Evaluating whether or not the ZEM, drops, NPCs, and the quests in Jaggedpine are appropriate for progression and changing whatever isn't appropriate is not a good fit in our current schedule. (Not to mention the qualitative discussions we could have on what's nostalgic, classic, and retro enough for a progression environment.)

As far as our flawed logic goes... Maybe opening The Hole early does mean we're necessarily obligated to open other zones adjacent to the old world with level 1-50 content like Jaggedpine, The Warrens, Stonebrunt Mountains, Nedaria's Landing, The Broodlands...

[IMG]

Or maybe not? :oops:
  13. taliefer Augur

i just like the warrens because its a well designed noobie dungeoun, with era appropiate loot. which will sadly see little to no use when its finally released on these servers.
  14. Elkay Augur

You aren't "obligated" to do anything. But the argument can go two ways.

1) "TLP servers are not classic"
    • These zones would spread players out a bit more (even with instancing)
    • These zones will give more places to explore - some people have a habitual leveling path that the TLP server population forces people to deviate from, so some of these zones might actually be new territory for a few people
    • Some of these zones may be underutilized (again) if released later and the majority of the player base is beyond the level range
    2) "That content isn't era appropriate"
    • Instancing accomplishes the same goal of spreading players out
    • The gear drops might be overpowered (but naked Mages still win, so somewhat moot)
    • ... I'm really stretching for a #3
    The more I think about it, there's little reason to hold most of these back, as long as inappropriate gear or quests are filtered (if any really exist). I'm sure there are a few people that will adamantly stick to their guns that content should absolutely be released as it was released on Live, but that argument is a weak one at best since so many other things have changed since the first time through.

[IMG]
    PrathunEQ likes this.
  15. Mashef_8013 Elder

Please stop citing nostalgic, classic and retro as reasons for doing anything. None of you were dev's that were even around between 1999-2003 when all the fun content was produced. Everything since then is complete garbage which is why the player base is trivial on live.

If you wanted it to be nostalgic, classic and retro as you are wanton to cite you would fix fist tables and pet tables to do the damage that occurred way back when thus neutralizing an army of naked mages. Please only give us real reasons instead of stating that which you are unable to comprehend.
  16. Prathun Developer

Incorrect. Absor and I were both on the EQ team in 2002. Sorry you didn't like anything we made after 2003, but glad to hear you were a fan of the stuff before then.
    Tarvas, Simone, Eldrian and 2 others like this.
  17. Kellaer Augur

Yes they were. Absor especially. The guy's a dinosaur as far as EQ goes.
    Simone and PrathunEQ like this.
  18. Eldrian Augur

Stonebrunt and Warrens would give an actual reason to go to Odus early on. Erudites would not be forced to leave continent at early levels to find xp. I can see how JP might be too much with all the loot/quest filtering that would have to be done but the other two would be just fine as they are. Come on throw us a bone :).

p.s. It's amazing I have seen more feedback from Prathun since I came back to play on the TLP than I had the entire 10 years I had played previously.
  19. Absor Developer

Thanks?

A
    Simone, Elkay and PrathunEQ like this.
  20. Eldrian Augur