Please improve the returning player experience...

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Kalamir, Apr 24, 2022.

1. sieger Augur

Hey bud. The word "you're" is a contraction of the two words you are, the word "your" is an adjective indicating possession. Since you misused you're three times in place of your, I'm assuming you did not know this so I wanted to help improve your English grammar. You're (not "your") welcome.
    Stymie likes this.
  2. Burdi Augur

The lack of group content in the last 5 expansions is not helping.
    In the new “empty nostalgic expansion” paradigm, you need to complete one or two quests to trigger progression achievement that bring a boost of xp.
    But i really believe this is not a conscious decision of the dev, but rather a consequence of the lack of content.
    Those achievements used to be more demanding and require the completion of an arc of quests.
    I think the dev need to look back 10 year ago the amount of content that an expansion used to bring.
    SoF, Sod had multiple zones, many quests, and missions for each zones.
    There was item you could get after completing an arc of quests.
    Evolving item.
    Even if the leveling was slow, there was so much more to do.
    At the end of the day the leveling was not tedious, because there was so much more place to go and things to do.
    Raid content is the strength of eq, but you need to get to max level to be accepted in a l33t crew.
    The problem those days if how repetitive thing are to gain a level.
    EQ leveling experience should be better than an assembly line work.
  3. Joules_Bianchi A certain gnome

Good thing you're a psychic then eh? Like NONE of those level 100's would ever be tenured players with any kind of experience. Ummm Hmmm. K.

Good thing your expertise is so stellar. +1

/eyeroll

I KNOW it will I just KNOW it wll!

kek

#sauce

https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/sauce
  4. Joules_Bianchi A certain gnome

Next up

"I have it on good authority" and "People say"
  5. Arkanny Augur

i'm a returning player, after many many years, slowly working my way up. currently 109, working on my Artisan seal. Honestly i don't get the rush to get to cap. I'm nowhere near form to be in a raiding force, alot of new stuff i need to get familiar with before i even think of that. Take your own time people, and stop whinning about not getting it "now". One of EQs strenght is exactly not being trivial.

If anything, i object to the fact that grinding mobs is sh*tty exp now. I'd love being able to quad for exp like i always did. Even if it's not great exp, it beats being lfg doing nothing. But it should be viable.

edit: spelling
    Yinla and Joules_Bianchi like this.
  6. Dre. Altoholic

Some of us prefer to contribute to the multiplayer experience, and understand that contribution starts at 120 with a geared-out character.

There's nothing wrong with playing the game at your pace, but don't expect everyone else to.
  7. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Exactly.

EverQuest prides itself on being a little more hardcore and that hardcore is rooted in a dependence upon other players, without other players, well, you're gonna have a bad time or your gonna have to learn to box.

When you have a game that essentially takes pride in being centred around the group (and raid) cooperative dynamic you have to question the thinking of so many long term players who are determined to see new & returning players struggle mostly alone as they learn or re-learn the ropes.

When the only real grouping is taking place at 116+ I think anything that gets you there as quickly as possible, without breaking any rules, is just making the game a better place to be.

But while there have been past efforts at bridging that divide they still fall pretty far short because as the game marches ever onwards those catch up mechanics get outdated & eventually reach obsolescence.

Something more dynamic is required, something that works today, tomorrow & in the future.
    Dre. and Bardy McFly like this.
  8. Joules_Bianchi A certain gnome

I just don't get why they keep nerfing experience, especially for the not in a max level guild or raiding crowd.

https://www.everquest.com/news/imported-eq-enus-51776

Oh look, they have a solution!
  9. Branntick Augur

Linking an article from 2010 about an issue that really only cropped up in the last few years. Nice.
  10. Dre. Altoholic

This guy gets it.

Supposed problem: Ubersweats blast 5 levels @expansion launch night, trivialize leveling process.
    Shortsighted solution: Move exp to time-gated or one-time events.
    Collateral damage: Not max level at expansion launch? You are now a charity case.
    Compounding effect: New player? Your charity case lasts 50 levels.

Alternative: Ignore the sweats and put exp back on the mobs. Address class-based solo imbalances.
    Metanis likes this.
  11. Velisaris_MS Augur

Because truthfully, once you're 105-ish or so, leveling becomes a boring, mind-numbing, pointless timesink. A lot of players (me included) just want to rip the band-aid off and get it done just as fast as is humanly possible so we can actually enjoy the rest of the game.
  12. Arkanny Augur

I get the "end game" vibe and all, but EQ was never easy to begin with. I remember it taking over a year to reach 65 back in the day. Maybe the problem today is that there's no other player at these lower levels to have fun with. Because for me EQ is fun at every level, there's always stuff to do, and places to discover. But again, i do have a very charitable clique of friends that don't mind jumping on their lower level alts to do stuff with me.
  13. Dre. Altoholic

Expedited leveling, a wide power range and autogrant have produced a situation where small differences in time investment will put one character so far ahead of another that players need to work against the leveling system in order to play cooperatively. The lagging player is quickly resigned to a state where they are carried or simply left behind.
    Aenvar and Joules_Bianchi like this.
  14. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

I played 10 hours a week when ToL launched and had 8 max level characters in a month. Another month and my core toons were max AA. Another month and I have another team max level and max AA. I am out of things to do except max on mission coins and re-hash old content for achievements. Most of that is done. I guess I could go after ToV earring #14, but I am just bleh on TS at this point.

Not saying you're wrong, but you're asking the wrong question. This is not about XP rates (they're still too high). This is about lack of content. There isn't enough. There hasn't been enough since EoK (which was one of THE best EverQuest expansions of all time).

You're piddling in the wind, Kalamir and it's getting all over. Tuck it away and call a spade a spade. EverQuest is supposed to be about adventure - and it's absent.
  15. Joules_Bianchi A certain gnome

Tiered / keyed content stratifies entire guilds sometimes too. One core group moves up tiers and everyone else waits to be carried because they don't have the same level of support rather than gearing and uptiering as a guild al together.
  16. Bigstomp Augur

Don't forget Warriors get an xp bonus (for normal xp only) still which may be adjusting your numbers. As do some races.
  17. Act of Valor The Newest Member

Not anymore.
  18. Joules_Bianchi A certain gnome

The xp pots are still current, no? OMFG a DATE! EEK!

derp my apologies, I believed you capable of the mental leap, :)
  19. Bigstomp Augur

You sure? I thought they had removed the penalties but kept the bonus's?
  20. Riou EQResource

They removed the Bonuses as well in the february or march 2019 patch
    Joules_Bianchi likes this.