Please fix Cloudy Potions

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Bobokin, Nov 5, 2021.

1. Fell Augur

The extreme hyperbole here is claiming something is "broken" when it's working exactly as intended, and the "fix" makes the game worse, not better.

Fight your way there, or have the group come get you. Or just take your chances on invis, like everyone ... if you're a tank, in 98% of the places invis will break, you can still survive anyway. Don't you want at least an infinitesimal amount of challenge in the game?

I'm a caster, and I'd vote for that change in a heartbeat. That line of defense didn't work too well, now did it?
    Randel Flag and Duder like this.
  2. Waring_McMarrin Augur

That would be a design change not fixing something that is broken. In fact it would make a bunch of fixed invis spells pointless unless they also reduced the duration as well. Would a 20 minute non random invis be better or worse then a 10 minute fix duration invis that classes get later?

No one is saying that there isn't a problem just that claiming that changing a design decision isn't fixing something that is broken.
  3. Waring_McMarrin Augur

And if you noticed what I said earlier I included making sure every class has an invis they can use on demand so they don't have to depend on potions.
  4. Fell Augur

I'm a caster (that's cloth armor, by the way), and just before responding to your post, two dark mobs hit me -- checking my log -- a total of 24 times during one charm break. I survived, without even needing to use a heal pot.

Your warrior can't survive 5 hits from the same mobs?
  5. quakedragon Augur

Seems like it is going this way.

Whats the point of tradeskills if every class does everything? Alchemy going to turn into worthless tradeskill.
    Is there such thing as 115s skinspikes? Is it even good if so?
    Haste potions, people even buy these anymore too?
  6. Bobokin Augur

Who says it was a warrior?

Again, these work as intended for the game 15 years ago ... not for today.
  7. Fell Augur

Why even have a spell or item for it then? If you want a 100% available, 100% safe invis, why not just give everyone auto-perma-invis. Or better still, why not just give players the option to auto-teleport to any camp they wish in any zone? Save them all that nasty trouble of running around?

The only thing broken here is the OP's mentality.
    Wdor and Randel Flag like this.
  8. Fell Augur

I guarantee you it's something better than my cloth armor caster. And you can't take 5 hits from a blue mob?

If you're paying attention to the warning message, you won't aggro even on an invis break in 99% of all situations. If that's too tough for you, why not try a game like Penguin Crossing instead? My six-year old daughter swears by it.
  9. Bobokin Augur

Since perma invis was added because of complaints about invis randomness and breaking, I'd say your anecdotal reply is invalid logic.

Not everyone is raid geared, maxed AA, and a tank.

For the rest of us, breaking invis on the way mean a corpse drag.
    Dre. likes this.
  10. Bobokin Augur

For the most part, they already do that for players willing to pay, or haven't you noticed a new Keychain made just for them.

Cloudy Potions, as they are now, are outdated. Obviously, you don't believe so, but that doesn't make it so.
  11. Keella Journeyman

Just box a Bard, problem solved.
    Fenthen likes this.
  12. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Where did I say I wanted a 100% safe invis? I just think every class should have access to some sort of invis without having to purchase single use items. Even if you do have a fixed duration or permeant it doesn't mean you can't get spotted by see invis mobs or lose it to an AE and need an instant cast invis to stay safe.

In the end most classes have some form of invis either through a spell/aa or an item with unlimited charges and there is no reason that all classes shouldn't have that as well. Now notice here I didn't say that all classes should have a fixed duration or permeant invis, just access to one they don't have to pay for each use.
  13. Duder Augur

I am. I'm saying there isn't a problem with Cloudy Potions. Their duration is fine and working as intended. I would be willing to bet that the original complaint is from a person who doesn't have an audio trigger for "You feel yourself starting to appear." And thus, blames the potion duration rather than themselves. That's what they're upset at. That they died because it fades. When they could have just clicked another, they are instant, you can click them in a group of mobs and get no aggro. I use these potions on numerous characters and they work fine and their duration is on average, quite long. They are not broken, they do not need to be "fixed". To the OP, learn to use audio triggers.

(The starting to appear message is the warning to click a new one, invis has not faded yet. It would be pointless to make a trigger for "You appear")
    Wdor and Fanra like this.
  14. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Cloudy potions are still valuable because of their instant cast and you can re invis while on the run.
    Fanra and Duder like this.
  15. Fell Augur

Did you miss the part where I said I'm a cloth caster? Even though I have improved invis, I never use it. Ever. Instead, I use a gather-shadows clickie with random breaks. The ONLY time I ever aggro mobs is when I'm trying to run semi-afk, not paying attention to the warning messages. And even then, my cloth-covered a** still survives 19 times out of 20.

And even if you die now, so what? No gear on your corpse any more, and the worst case is you lose a few minutes worth of exp. That's already far, far too simplistic and easy. Any easier than that, and you don't want a competitive game; you want to lie down eating peeled grapes, while a tiny Korean woman rubs your feet and gives you a strawberry-shortcake enema.
    Wdor and Duder like this.
  16. Duder Augur

Yes they do work as intended, for then and today. Get over it, make audio triggers.
    Wdor, Randel Flag and Fell like this.
  17. Smokezz The Bane Crew

The original invis spell always had 20 minutes + a chance to drop at any time. It's not broken. Then they added the perma invis AA's later on in the game. Potions aren't equiv to the perma AA. What you want them to add is a potion that's equiv to that AA - and if they do that, they won't be cheap like the Cloudy's
    Duder likes this.
  18. Bobokin Augur

Yeah, they never change anything in Everquest from the original.

First off, those AAs are freebies for Heroic characters, and they are auto-granted for many others. You act like 90% of the player base actually paid for them out in the field by grinding.

Second, at no time did I say Cloudy Potions should be perma invis. I'm am saying that a potion that doesn't get even close to its labeled duration is a problem.

A lot of boxers say it isn't a problem because a player can just add a group invis/camo/song class to the box group, but we are talking about single characters just trying to join groups.

The original spell and Cloudy Potions are old, and they don't work very well.
  19. Benito EQ player since 2001.

There is a fixed duration invis pot in the game: Philter of Concealment. The problem is it requires a dropped mat: Exceptional Shissar Blood. It has a 5-second cast time but 10 minute fixed duration so there is a trade-off.

It's probably better to ask the devs nicely to sell the Exceptional Shissar Blood on a merchant for a nominal fee.

Or, you can go and farm Ssra Temple for the blood and change your quality of life immediately.
  20. Warpeace Augur

Could farm a Mask of Vanishing.
    Wdor and Poppinfresh like this.