Playing on Ragefire

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Khaolic, Jun 1, 2015.

1. Khaolic New Member

Well, I was really looking forward to another go at a progression server, but I have to say its been a horrid experience.

The boxing in itself is not really that bad, some boxers are nice enough. But the socially challenged folks that also box will eventually kill at least Ragefire. I doubt there will be a very healthy population around for the release of Velious, maybe not even Kunark.

Been debating recently wether or not rerolling and trying Lockjaw would make for a better experience, but I dont think I will bother.
    Most of the (but not all) that ruin the entire server are wearing the Twisted Legacy tag (although recently they usually go /anon which I assume is due to the guild leadership at least trying to make them shape up) while they switch instances back and forth and ruin it for anyone trying to do anything.
    The play nice policy that is in place just isnt working, and the experience is sour. It is more or less impossible to get anything done without lowering yourself to the level that the other guys operate on and that just doesnt make for an enjoyable gaming session.

Now, I am sure that there are some nice folks around on the server and in that guild, but its hard to notice them when 85% of the population there just make you wonder why their parents dropped them way to often and let that nasty uncle babysit them for something is seriously wrong inside them.

So, thats me taking my subscription and giving up in time before I also start rolling mages or charming stuff and walking it away.
    Skum likes this.
  2. Skum Elder

Sorry to see you go. The same things that trouble you bother me as well. Hoping some balancing will be done to 'pick zone' instancing, as well as some basic implementation of that mechanic into the raid scene.
  3. Valkerine Augur

4. Naelbis Elder

Sorry you didn't find it enjoyable. I have had a good time so far and met plenty more decent people than I have bad. Maybe just spend some time leveling/questing in areas that don't have the "must camp to sell" items? That right there will get you away from most of the dbags. But hey, your're free t do whatever you wish....

P.S. Can I have your stuff?
  5. DudleyGrim New Member

While I have seen my share of camp stealing , my experiences on Ragefire were mostly positive. Sorry to see you go.
  6. EQ_Scotty Journeyman

Originally, I ignored a majority of the nonsense within the chat channels as those normally are pretty awful to partake in. It is impossible to have a discussion or ask someone anything without it igniting some insane argument between several people.

Grouping has been quite exhausting. I love that I can get a group anywhere at almost any time of day or night; however, regardless of the time-- the groups are constantly bickering about the looting, camp stealing, players AFK'ing; the list goes on for days. I consider myself a very social player and it's very difficult to communicate with a majority of people as many seem quick to anger under the slightest direction or suggestion. Last night I was in several absolutely dreadful groups within Highhold Keep, people would join and drop out at the slightest mistake someone would make while pulling or starting an argument over people abusing that atrocious Advanced Loot feature ('m on the verge of boycotting that thing by starting groups myself and not allowing it). I, too, am noticing the insane amount of <Twisted Legacy> members. I'd like to believe there is members of that guild who are good players but most of the rude people I've bumped into seem to be carrying that tag.

I honestly found myself questioning if the community was always like this or if it was just this server. I can't believe this servers community actually had me questioning my amazing memories of this game and the wonderful respect people once had for each other and their fellow players. The amount of greed and ignorance from this community has been severely embarrassing. EverQuest is almost unrecognizable enough as it is but the community has been the icing on this S***-cake.

That being said, I am finding some things to enjoy. Thankfully, the EverQuest combat system is largely the same and when you can find a group that clicks really well, the feelings of the game from back in 1999 all come back to me and I remember why I fell in love with this game in the beginning. I got my best friend playing it for the first time; she has heard me talk about it for 16 freakin' years and she gave it a try and is really enjoying herself but did notice the community was quite abysmal. She has been playing 5 days and is already considering soloing as long as possible.

I would not recommend switching to LockJaw, I don't see that going anywhere personally. They will end up merging it when hopefully all the jerks on this server drop out and get bored of Classic. At least, that is what I would prefer to happen. I wish I could say something more encouraging to get you to stay. Players like you are the ones I want around.

If DBG would police the game heavier, much of this could be resolved. The ISBoxing, camp stealing, KS'ing, the language in the chat channels; are just killing a lot of it. Are their even any GM's or Guides? I remember years ago, they would pop-up all the time.
  7. Katmandu26 Augur

I keep reading about how LJ is better, slower, more RP oriented, nicer, etc... and that just wasn't my experience. I actually enjoyed RF more and went back.
    Frenzic likes this.
  8. Teaz New Member

I think it's damn near impossible to make the "right choice" regarding which server to play on. I have only come back recently, and didn't even play on the Vulak/Flippy servers, but the progression server before that!

I think different people have different experiences on the servers; However, it does seem like there is a genuine fear of playing on a server that might suffer the fate of being underpopulated, why people tend to argue very passionate for their server being the right choice.

Personally I don't care about a raiding community, so it makes no nevermind to me. Played on Ragefire in the non-instanced Steamfont area; the experience wasn't terribly pleasant, but I've seen worse behaviour in the raiding community back in the days - what did bother me was the indifference and attitude of players when interacting, one way of another. I'm sure there will be an active raiding community on Ragefire with bosses getting pet-pwned ad libitum.

Currently I'm playing on Lockjaw and I haven't met any terribly annoying people on Lockjaw so far; been buffed by strangers quite often though. However, there is without a doubt a lower amount of players on Lockjaw; dont get me wrong, there were still 4 instances of Greater Faydark and several Crushbones, so I had no problem peddling jewelry so far. It does seem, that the majority of the population are in less of a rush than on Ragefire, meaning that the "end game" probably wont be as contested, or dominated by a single blob of mages.

For me, Lockjaw seems like the right call; I've been doing things at my own pace and haven't experienced any problems with other players so far - but keep in mind I am no longer looking for a competitive enviroment, the days of 36-40 hours of raiding ended a long time ago for me.

But as you can see from the poster above me, different people have different experiences.