Playing on Linux Banable?

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Deathcomestoall, May 19, 2023.

1. Deathcomestoall Lorekeeper

I have read ALOT of forum posts on this topic they are saying yes no. Has everquest ever came out and said no you can not use wine/proton to play everquest because it may fall under VM usage. So just like the topic says is playing on Linux bannable? Would love for someone to point this out..........
  2. FGgn479n nf933 New Member

Up until this weeks patch; I've been playing from linux off and on for literal YEARS without issue.

As of that patch; its a hard crash after selecting a server and nothing I've tried has helped any. So... if you can still get it to run (and if so share what you had to add to wine to fix that crash); you'll likely still be OK.

DPG won't actually say its ok, but they also won't say its not. Its a but frustrating but I'll take a "we won't stop you, but we won't help you either" approach over "no, just no.".
  3. FGgn479n nf933 New Member

Ok; i semi-fixed this so I'm sharing.

Prior to the patch, I would use either Proton (or Proton-Experimental) or Wine-Staging to run EQ; when the patch hit; it would CTD after server select as it was loading character select.

I tried using the native VC dlls and a buncha other things; so far the only thing that worked was switching to Bottles+Soda (7.0-9). This combination, the patcher is a black window (but still patches and launches) and the rest seems to work almost as well as it did under proton.

I'm still trying to sort out why its crashing hard under wine (8.0 and 8.8-staging), as well as Proton 8, Proton-Experimental, and Proton-GE.... but for now, at least I can log in again.
  4. Drewie Augur

Running EQ under Linux too, all went fine until last patch where EQ started crashing right before character select. I had already noticed that on the Test server last month, even reported it, but I thought maybe there was something special about the Test server and it would work fine on Live. It looks like a similar crash happens on Windows 7.

Anyway, after unsuccessfully trying to make EQ work again with Lutris as it did so well before, I installed it on Steam and now I can play again.
  5. Ligmaa New Member

I was playing on PopOS with Lutris and now it just CTD as well after the server select screen. I tried installing EQ with Steam but It dose the same thing. Anyone able to help a linux rookie out?
  6. phattoni Augur

linux is NOT bannable, as it does not fall under VM, wine is a system layer, not a vm, there is no vm involved with running eq on linux.

as for the crash to desktop, i noticed this as well, tried deleting ui files etc, doesnt seem to help, this has something to do with the new ui engine.

im sure you can report the bugs, but as linux isnt supported, chances of it being fixed are next to none.
  7. Soulbanshee Augur

It's not that simple, only the EULA says what is permitted, No one can say its not bannable except for DGB through the EULA.

They changed their stance, there's no longer a grey area for implicitly accepted behaviors. If its not expliticly permitted they won't help you if it does get caught in cheat detection (which is more than just VM). Does not mean it WILL get caught in cheat detection, just you are on your own if it does.
  8. Soulbanshee Augur

No, SOE or DBG haven't ever come out to say playing on Linux is permitted. We do have players running on Linux that haven't gotten bans. Will it stay that way in the future? No one can say, and I wouldn't count on DBG coming out and saying its non bannable.
  9. phattoni Augur

been playing eq in linux for 10+ years ill take my chances.

windows is full of advertisements, every time i open the start menu, surprise YET ANOTHER program i did not install.

i dont have this problem with linux, if they want to ban me for using linux to play eq, go nuts.
    Graag Baash likes this.
  10. Drewie Augur

When they fix the Windows 7 crash (since it's still supported EQ-wise), it will hopefully fix the Linux crash too since they look similar. I noticed that the Lutris installer for EQ uses a "win7" app parameter, even though the associated Wine configuration Windows version is set to Windows 10.

As for Steam, it's running fine for me with Compatibility: Proton Experimental along with General > Launch Options: "%command% --disable-gpu" as launch options.

Wine only translates Windows API calls, it has nothing to do with cheating, and banning users for playing EQ through Wine would make no sense. Also, there are thousands of other Windows games on Steam played on Linux through Proton, should they start banning their users too? Of course not. Wine and Proton are very mature nowadays, and the Steam Deck makes even more studios care about Linux compatibility of their games, either natively or through Wine / Proton.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare and Khat_Nip like this.
  11. phattoni Augur

has anyone tried changing their prefix to windows 10 yet? i remember there was a way to do it with proton but i forget how.

maybe its a windows 7 bug, since i see mention that a similar crash is occurring in windows 7.
  12. Ligmaa New Member

I was able to get "Bottles" installed and used it to install Steam then installed EQ from that version of Steam and was able to get back in.

I used did go into the settings for Lutris and changed it over to launch EQ in Windows 10 compatibility mode and didn't make a difference.
  13. phattoni Augur

thanks for the reply, i would rather not use steam installed in wine if possible, it used to open a major security risk on your system. something about lack of sandboxing. im not sure if it still does, but it used to.

although it should be noted that running any windows program on linux opens it up to any vulnerabilities that program is currently susceptible to, including steam.
  14. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

It is that simple. They cannot legally do what you are claiming, EULA are disfavored and are to be viewed in favor of the non-drafting party, in other words the unless it is explicitly denied it is implicity permitted. They have to be clear about what is against their ToS and EULA.
    If it not explicitly stated as not being allowed, then they cannot ban you for it, and they have to give ample notice before they start issuing bans for any changes that do happen. VMs have been explicitly stated to not be allowed. At no point in time did DGC/DPS change their stance regarding implicitly accepted behaviors. Playing on Linux or Mac will not flag you as using a VM, unless you are actually using a VM.
    Sounds like you have installed some weird programs onto your windows system that have taken over the start menu. I have had exactly zero ads on my windows start menu since it came out. On a clean install, Windows does pull up some popular apps, but they are not actually installed on your system until you actually go to open them at which point windows actually goes and downloads and installs them.
  15. phattoni Augur

yea windows 11, full of ads for software i dont use/want. and everytime i open the start menu after updating there is even more ads for software that wasnt there before rebooting.

this is a fresh install that hasnt even been used yet other than rebooting 2x for updates after the install.

windows is garbage and you shouldnt force people to use it, "just because".
  16. FGgn479n nf933 New Member

So far for me; Bottles has been the only fix; though it adds a new issue. Minimizing and restoring the game client now leaves me with a black window and I have to /camp desktop and relaunch the game. (thankfully I can still interact with it; its just all black) I seem to remember that being a bug before too and it being fixed at some point by a wine patch; one that I'm guessing Soda doesn't have. (or there is some other issue)

FWIW I had Wine 8, 8.8, and Steam Proton set to Win10; for a while now actually. I'd be hopeful of a future patch fixing this but.. well how long has launching the game in full-screen been broken because they can't figure out how to fix that? Or the gamma issue. I'm not gonna hold my breath on this one.
  17. Overcast451 Augur

Are you using a specific version of Proton? I tried Steam and it seems to just crash when it gets to where character select would load. I tried Lutris and seem to get the same on re-launched. Oddly, right after installing it via Lutris, it runs perfectly. So it's not drivers or anything like that I suspect.
  18. Drewie Augur

Running Proton Experimental. It worked straight away after adding it to the library and setting these launch options:
    Code:
    %command% --disable-gpu
  19. Overcast451 Augur

Thanks for that - for some reason, it still crashes when it gets to the character select through Steam. Although, I did get EQ working fine in Lutris as I managed to find an old Wine Prefix I had used before, but I can't seem to track down just what is different that is causing the issue in the newer Prefix.

I dug into the old prefix and found what components I installed with Winetricks and replicated it to the newer Prefix, but it still doesn't want to work.

Mostly, I was trying to find just what it was to help out some others in the Lutris discord as well as curiosity as to what is specifically allowing it to work on that old Prefix.

I guess it's possible there's something with my specific video card or setup that is 'corrected' in that old prefix. No idea - but I think I'll make a copy of that working prefix and ZIP it up to my google drive to be sure I always have it!

Just for reference, I know the working prefix has a few things installed that the non-working doesn't. Perhaps it will help someone else. It's likely something small and easy - it's just finding it that's the hard part :)

Components added to the Prefix:
    d3dx9
    d3dx9_43
    dotnet40
    dotnet48 (Have to --force install this one)
    corefonts
  20. Ligmaa New Member

Only problem I'm having with the "Bottles" install. Is that when I move my UI and log out and back in. My UI will be back the way it was before I moved it. Like it is not updating the .ini file at log out.

So every time I log back into my trader. A window I moved because it is in the way is back in the way.

I'm still learning how to use Linux.