Player suggestion: Character copy to Zek

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Sokon, Mar 10, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sokon Augur

I have posted a new idea, one that would help the Zek server. I support any idea that supports the pvp system in the game and enables it to thrive. It is an important part of the game and arguably one of the most enjoyable.

https://dgcissuetracker.com/browse/EQ-756

The idea is to allow Zek to operate similarly to the test and beta servers with a character copy function.

Making the idea a reality wold require 2 things:

• copied characters would have to have all items flagged no drop and stripped of platinum upon copy
    • the pvp kill system wouldhave to change slightly so that it kept track of kills even after someone from a blue server recopied the same character to Zek again, as many would want to do this after getting gear etc but wihtout losing their kill record.
    Implementing such a change would give everyone on all the blue servers something else to do once they reach end game. It would provide more exposure to Zek without peole having to actually movelog their characters to the server. Players could still movelog to Zek if they so chose to become full pvp characters.

Past original ideas of mine that were implemented: Zek's PvP kill serverwide announcement system.
    Gyurika Godofwar and Boneshear like this.
  2. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

I think that this is a worthwhile idea, though I would say that your 2 things that would be required to make it a reality; need to be pruned down a bit.

I can completely understand the idea of making the gear (armor, weapons, clickies) no drop, but I see little benefit of completely stripping them of plat. I think that they should at least get an item that the person can turn into an NPC and get X plat depending on their level. This should prevent massive economy changing side effects, but allow players to go do things without having to spend a bunch of time killing greys just for money.

I also think that keeping your kill count while constantly funneling gear to your PvP server character is kind of unfair towards those who play their characters strictly on Zek and have to get their gear on that server under its rules versus getting their gear on a pve server free of the fear of other players. Recopying while it should be possible, should have a decided draw back.
    Sokon likes this.
  3. Sokon Augur

Ya Xianzu, thanks for the reply. The concern with the idea that I had was simply so that measuremnts were put in place such that the copy to a server didin't destroy an economy some how. So maybe not stripping anyone of plat but perhaps making it so they(copied characters) can't trade anything(even plat) with anyone. It's just a problem I wouldn't want to happen, so wanted to acknowledge that right off the bat.

The pvp leaderboard is arguably the most important aspect of PvP. So the suggestion I made onthe dev tracker was to either change the lbaord to list kills by account or update kills on refresh. perhaps they could even have an additional pvp kill board that would only list copied characters so that it didn't mess with the real Zek pvp board?

I'm sure some middle ground could be foudnto make the update in a way that was seen as a positive in all regards.
  4. Aenodili New Member

5. Reval Augur

This idea disrespects a few tenants that made the Zek servers good.

-now the only reward to pvp is just ego based. There's no reason for anyone to fight that isn't already great. Need to camp a spawn? No competition on your blue server. You'll never get good. Need to exp? No competition on your blue server or in an instance. You'll never get good. If the server gets newer people, they don't have any investment, and it's rough to learn how to be the best, like me. So they'll give up on it. PvP is better when you're fighting for a reason that's more than 13 inches tall.

-Zek had a community once. That is huge. You could log in every day, and expect to find people there. This completely obliterates that. Why have a raid force on Zek when you can just raid on blue? Why exp on Zek when you can just exp on blue without the hassles of pvp? Why camp an aug or power sources on Zek - blue easier. Why flag on Zek - blue easier. People will do everything on blue, so that will be their community. I realize you can say "well they'll come to Zek as a group when they want to pvp".. what if their group isn't pvpers? It's just gonna be that one or two people out of what should be a full 6-10. You're making it easier, but you're removing the buy in in ways that matter.

Furthermore, what about the community that's already there? Why should they remain on Zek? They should just go to blue servers to get gear and server copy over when they want to.. uh ooooooh. Looks like the 30 remaining players left Zek. HE'S A DOUBLE AGENT! YOU SET THEM UP SOKON!
    Corwyhn Lionheart and Iila like this.
  6. Sokon Augur

I feel sorry for you Reval, you use to make sense.

I think this is a good idea to make it so more people can experience Zek without actually moving there.

While the details of the idea could use some work, the idea in general is sound. Could you workon the idea with me or are you only capable of ranting now?

So an issue brought up is why doesn't everyone just leave Zek and copy chars over? Ok, that is a legitimate concern. You didn't offer a solution to your concern, just a complaint, so let me try -

Perhaps a fix could be, similar to current expansaion content with progression unlocking the detrimental effect of your HPS only capable of reaching 80% life, a similar thing could be applied to copied characters since yes many would outgear Zek players.

Perhaps make it so copied characters had a max hit point pool of 85% or somethign between 75-90, an appropriate amount to put everyone on a level playing field. Let's face it, Zek players do know how to play better in pvp than blue players, so the main concern would be Zek players that are on blue that copy over.

Help work on the idea or just complain, up to you. Doesn't bother me, I will continue to support the Zek server even though I don't play on it, better than hijacking improvements through the forums like you have chosen to pursue since your Zek guild folded.

I have good intentions here, just like I have always had constructive ideas I have presented for the Zek server. Look through archive threads. I spent a long period of time thinking up ideas like revamping the pvp merchant, and implementing fun pvp items for each class, and several other ideas.
  7. Reval Augur

You may not enjoy my attitude, but I'm the smartest crayon in this box.

So I don't make sense, yet I offer extremely realistic and experience based views on your idea that point out make or break issues that you don't see.

I don't need to offer a solution. I pointed out a problem. I'm not going to offer a solution. I helped you more than anyone else on this thread. People that know me know what kind of person I was. I was very optimistic. I'm not optimistic about that server anymore. So do you think I should be the person to propose a solution? I don't. My solution is to throw it in the garbage. Maybe you in your infinite wisdom can do better. Or were you expecting me to do everything? I've done everything for long enough.

You seem upset that I'm disenfranchised, that's your problem. I'm a pretty stubborn guy which is why I didn't leave that server for so long. It won't change at the drop of a hat. It would take more than this company seems to have to change it based on past experiences with this company.
  8. Sokon Augur

Noone likes a complainer, doesn't matter what the situation is.

Atleast you are honest about how you feel, but I'm sorry, the throw it all away attitude makes me not value anything you have said. I'm not sure what you are looking for here Reval, just to continue expressing your disgust with the treatment to Zek over the years? Any way I look at it still can't agree with the attitude you are conveying towards positive changes finally being made to Zek.

Could you atleast weigh-in on the solution I offered to the problem you pointed out? So that the conversation can get back to anywhere close to being constructive? Please
  9. Reval Augur

If nothing I've said has any value to you because you don't like that I'm not made of sunshine, then you're shallow. If I were to weigh in on the solution, it would solve the solution. If you want to act all big and disrespect someone who's done as much as me, do the legwork yourself my friend. I've carried myself through cynicism much greater than what I've demonstrated here. Let's see if you guys can learn how to walk.
  10. Sokon Augur

Feel free to add something constructive to the conversation at any time.

You haven't yet. Saying if you weigh-in you would have the solution is all talk. Be useful or continue to pout over the timing of the zek instance change, your choice.
  11. Reval Augur

If you lower people's innate hp for copies, then it won't do much. So little of pvp is about hp and so much of pvp atm is about ability to deal damage. It's not defensive enough at this stage for that to matter. You're gonna end up with a lot of ex zek players that know their stuff logging in fully raid geared pvp toons that they now can permanently keep raid geared at the highest level due to their ability to stay on blue, and that would become the new meta of zek. Just a bunch of fully geared toons pvp'ing for no real reason with no real goals. Let me tell you man, hungry hungry hippos was a great game, but it only worked for about 4 months of my developmental period even though it's why to this day I press the best buttons. In short though, this plan isn't in it for the long run. For PvP to really work 4, 8, 12 months down the line, it has to be an integral part of the game, not a side attraction.

That solution by default still will lessen the value of a community on the server. Some people pvp to be the best, and others play for other reasons but enjoy pvp. You used to have people running through progression and missions etc. Even as far back as SS I remember levelling, and pvp'ing at the same time because some hotshots wanted to go ambush a group, and then more often than not they were made to gate out. What do you think my motivation was there? PvP was something I took pride in, but I was trying to help people in my guild to succeed. It was fun, but there was a lot more motivation to it than just a flexing contest. By dismissing the value of community, you're gonna end up with people that you may view as really caring about pvp not caring about your new system.
  12. Reval Augur

I've brought up a lot, even before the last post. Quit the charade man and start walking. Not everyone that points out a problem has to give a solution. If a guy tells you a meteor is headed for earth do you go "hey stop pouting about that meteor, do you care to solve all of my meteor related problems you loser!" hell no you thank that man like he's jesus. He just did half the job of saving your life.

If the problems are legitimate, which all of the ones I've pointed out are, you should thank the person that pointed them out, not whatever the hell this thing you're doing is. If your default reaction is trying to shame me into doing everything for you, you aren't going to get very far. You need to accept some realities here. I'm not going to carry your suggestion for you. Have fun failing to insult me, guy that I haven't seen on Zek in years.
  13. Reval Augur

lol. You haven't acknowledged 2 of the points even from the original thread since your concern was more about trying to berate an absolute legend. But anyways, I'm done until you can show me a better idea. You have enough valid criticisms from me, unlike the invalid ones from you of my attitude. Good luck, predecessor.

14. Sokon Augur

Your points are about systemic conditions that exist now after many years of problems to Zek. There is no easy fix for that. All we can do is suggest ideas we think may be good ideas and may improve the server. I think my suggestion is a good idea. I do agree that copied characters would notably have an unfair gear advantage, a hp decrease, dmg they do decrease, or mitigation reduction they innately have would level the playing field. I think an appropriate handicap could be found so that such an idea as this one didn't cause anymore damage to the community on Zek.

People that want to beta test can copy to beta, people that want to go to the test server can copy to test, how about people that want to try out PvP have some way of copying to Zek.

It's a simple idea.

Again, most of what you are saying is simply complaining. You aren't the only one to win 2+ Arena brawls. But you are the first one to mention that, thinking it makes any difference, like I should value all the non-constructive criticism now or something, I don't.

The devs will get rid of this thread, and I will simply have to post another, if you continue to not stay on topic to the idea suggested. Although I think I have modified my Reval filter to turn your complaints into solutions, lmao

Your point of "pvp as an integral art of the game." Wouldn't it be true that if everyone could use such a copy function that the availability of that would cause PvP to be made more so a part of the game for everyone? And if not by just the availability they could offer some type of PvP award or achievement that your original or "copied from" character(on blue) would receive after getting so many kills or PvP points on Zek. Something useful, perhaps an instant cast mount(fast cast mounts are useful in PvP to run away) or self levant click, or something else that migth be useful both on blue but especially in PvP. Obviously if any items were implemented that everyone or most on Zek would already qualify to receive the new achievement rewards.

No real goals? Implementing a new achievement and a useable item would be a goal.

Also, a time requirement of time passed before refreshing character copy to Zek could be implemented, 1, 3, 6 months? Such a time period would help prevent the concerns of further ruining the community on Zek.

^yet a few more constructive ideas - I think you inspired me Reval, thanks

Now, your turn!
  15. Sokon Augur

One more thing that would be beneficial with a copy function.

For years people have gone to blue, fully geared up, and moved to Zek, there was no level playing field/handicap then when anyone did that. Having a copy function would probably prevent alot of that happening, and prevent people from leaving Zek and coming back. It's bad 2 ways when people do that, it's bad for the Zek guild that initially lost the player, and it is bad for the blue guild that gets the player that eventually leaves again. I'd wager that a lot of the hate coming from blue players to the zek boards stems from that type of loot & scoot behavior.
  16. Reval Augur

So what was the main point of the post before your last post? You want to talk about my legacy, go ahead, but you aren't qualified really. If your best insult is that I'm "long winded", then I'll take it.

I guess your second "point" was some vague threat that the devs will delete this thread because I went off topic (you went off topic explicitly to insult me for being "long winded", brag about your implied pvp event history, and say that that the thread will be deleted for going off topic). Where did I go off topic on this thread? You seem to be drunk. We both know you're better than this. Everything I've said that is a criticism of this is completely valid. Suck it up and realize how much I've helped you, or don't and have a bad idea to show for your arrogance.

So after that point in the thread you try to take full credit for solving a problem that I proposed while still not thanking me. You could thank the person that gave you this instead of acting so ungrateful. What I'm used to in threads is blue players that know very little to nothing about pvp just going in to post about how pvp isn't important. If what I'm posting bothers you, then you won't last long enough to reach your goals through that anyways.

You still don't acknowledge the importance of pvp being integrated into the game because you're probably drunk. After you sober up, read it again and really think about what I've said. You try to insult me for being long winded because you like easy thoughts I guess. In reality, I like easy thoughts too, but some things are complicated. If you really don't get it, then you need to reread that one until you do. Think it through a bit. Don't just get mad and type some passive aggressive crap. If it's all just for show, then I get why you would pretend not to understand it, because something so fundamental and so important should be infuriating for me to see you not understand, but I'm well known for a lot better things than being long winded, despite the attitude you've demonstrated for me.

If you want any more help, drop the attitude in your next post, and if you can't do that then go to bed and post tomorrow when you're a better person.
  17. Sokon Augur

I guess you don't want to take turns on the idea. I'll pass on this next turn to argue or complain, as I couldn't salvage anything else worth talking about - even with my Reval filter - from your latest reply.

Everyone knows you are long winded, I remember afking during conversations I accidently started with you(5, 6, 7 years ago in game?), cause you just keep talking about nothing. lol

Sorry couldn't help myself.
  18. Ksenija Elder

Yeah I hate to say it but I agree with Sok here.

All your posts reek of Zek elitisim and self ego boosting and visions of grandeur Reval.
    You went as far as even in one of your posts above saying your the best.

I have played with you and against you...your good no doubt, but the best ? No.

..and you also fail to recognize the footsteps of the ones that walked before you AND with you in shaping and molding Enchanters... you posted as if you was above them.

Zek players are good but they are not the best, PvP may keep your skills up to par, but without steel sharpening steel, it becomes dull.

Zek has had no competition for years....and even less of a community.

Anyway, The floor is yours again Sokon, Hopefully Revel's ego got checked at the door...but i doubt it.
    Sokon and Boneshear like this.
  19. Thraine Augur

So wouldn't this concept just allow more noobs to come over for you to just slaughter with your PvP exp and awesomeness?

Since Zek is a dying server, this idea at least allows for some new blood as opposed to letting the server rot away to nothing. i mean there is 1 raiding guild and last i checked elitegameslounge they aren't doing so good

*edit* ok i checked elitegamerslounge again, looks like wudan has beat arx 1 ... excuse me while i LOL at your glorious victorys in eq Reval
    Tweak, Xianzu_Monk_Tunare and Sokon like this.
  20. Sokon Augur

Last time I checked, Zek had fun killing blue people.

Here I offer up an idea that could supply Zek with an infinite number of blue people to be slayed and I get all this complainiing. But I think the main concern is people like myself, that have 4+ years of play time on Zek, copying from blue and going to Zek and having an unfair advantage.

The majority of people would go there and get completely owned by undergeared people, but the implementation of such an idea as this has to take in concerns from all aspects, cause it would be a huge change.

I use to play with Reval, be guilded with Reval, sometimes have 2vs2 against Reval, particularly remember one time in Solro Tower and the Hole, I think it was Nire and Reval vs me and someone else., we won 1 go, they won the other. Reval has spent a significant amout of time on that server, I'll give him that, even as grandiose as he wants to portray it.

I just don't care for the attitude now that he is giving off, complaining alot about them finally making instances on Zek non-pvp, and him tryign to get free xfers off the server. It's like he wants the server to completely die now out of frustration.

• Free transfers off the Zek server isn't a good idea for the server Reval.
    • Free transfers to the Zek server is a good idea for the Zek server.
    I
    Boneshear likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.