PL group question...

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Tatanka, Oct 30, 2020.

1. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Once your low level char is high enough to group with the PLer, what are the restrictions or rules of thumb to make it go smoothly?

For instance:
    - should the mobs be closer to the PLee's level, or the PLer's level, or does it matter?
    - Do the higher level chars need to be set to regular XP, or does it matter if they are set to AA XP and the PLee is set to level XP?
    - I'm sure there are other tips or issues I'm not even thinking about. Any general tips are appreciated. Not looking for your secret hunting spots, or anything like that :)
  2. Bigstomp Augur

Mass slaughter in content that is quality XP for the lower level yet easy for the higher levels.
    A few years back they added some scaling to some zones for AA xp (RoF for sure). But for normal xp it should not matter.

Personally, once you can group with them, it's a great time to work on some quests that either you or they are missing.
    Older but still zones that con, mercs, partisans, ect that are useful to them and just plow through. See an extra mob somewhere, smoke it.

If you are missing some older checkmarks, great time to pick them up.
    Making it totally a grind will burn you/them out.
  3. Windance Augur

Specific answers:

1. Mob Level? Lowest level (easiest) blue con mobs you can find relative to your PLer's level.
    2. AA vs XP on higher level - doesn't matter
    3. Tips ...

- Check out hot zone list. Sometimes even light blue con's in a hot zone will be better than blue con mobs in non hot zones.

- Set up AdvLoot to grab up all the TS drops. Either sell via bazaar or save for later
  4. aozs Augur

The PLee will get more exp per kill the higher level the mob is. The sweet spot is to find the highest level mobs you can mass kill. In my experience kill rate matters more than maximizing xp/mob, but it's easy enough to test by just running 30 minute trials to get a sense of xp/hour.

If you're boxing the PLee, you'll probably want to leave them invis'd on autofollow while the PLer rounds up/kills mobs. It's easier to pull this off in areas with no see-invis mobs, otherwise there's a risk of the PLee getting killed unless you manually move the char around. Xp range is not very large.

Mob density and respawn times matter too. Again, running 30 minute trials (or even an hour if you have time) will account for this so you can use that to figure out what's efficient and what isn't.
    Yinla likes this.
  5. Cragzop Cranky Wizard

The restrictions are for the lower toon:
    -regular xp is earned based upon con of mob to the lower toon (red, yellow, white, dk blue, lt blue, green)
    -aa xp is earned based upon con of mob to the higher toon ... if the mob is gray to the higher toon, no aa xp will be earned

Starting with RoF, once a toon passes the max level that was possible when that expansion was current, a penalty is applied to all xp gained (i.e. 101+ for RoF, CotF, 106+ for TDS, TBM, EoK, etc). The person who is first on the aggro list will bypass the penalty if applicable (e.g. pullers don't get penalty when over the level limit).

Also, there is generally a 15 max level spread in missions at the higher end (might be a few less than that). And ToV quests/missions have a minimum level of 100 (pretty sure older expansions have a minimum level as well, but don't remember off the top of my head).

Those are the only in-game restrictiions/modifications on xp gained.
    Shanarias likes this.
  6. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Thanks to everyone for all the tips. This one I quoted is the one I knew in the back of my mind existed, but I couldn't remember the details. Thanks especially for that!
  7. Accipiter Old Timer

If you have max XP characters and if you have enough of them (aka a box group) consider turning on fellowship XP sharing. It takes XP (like 30%) from the people contributing and on the receiving character fills up a bar called Vitality. Actually, it's two Vitality bars: one for regular XP and one for AA XP. When the receiving character plays, this Vitality is applied to every kill until it runs out. It takes a while to fill that bar at higher levels but it's pretty amazing XP. On my rogue, I did all of 106 and 107 and part way into 108 in about an hour using fellowship XP. I also get 4-5 AAs per kill using fellowship AA XP.
  8. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Yes, I know about fellowship XP, and they are in the same fellowship. However, the high levels are all AAXP, and the lowbies are reg XP, so filling the vitality won't help, correct? The wrong vitality bar will fill, I think.
  9. Sindace Elder

Both vitality bars increase regardless, so a non-issue there. Possible there's a restriction on how low of a lowbie can accept the vitality though. Worth a shot to see if it works assuming the high level AAs are all set.

Couple things with vitality- turn off sharing before you burn it, or it seems as if you'd share that exp right back to the group and get less return. Also, seems to be a better return on regular exp than AA as AA gains are capped at 5AA per kill. If doing AAs w/ vitality, should be done outside of a Lesson or you'd be wasting exp due to the cap on each kill.
  10. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Thanks, Sindace. I didn't know about both bars filling up, that's handy to know, perhaps I'll start using it.

I haven't used fellowship XP since 2011, before they made the vitality bar changes (addition). Back then I could do a bunch of high-XP hunting, and then just log in the others in the fellowship for a bunch of quick insta-levels. I have a level 51 ranger with less than 2 hours played ;)
  11. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Back for another follow-up:

Did the grouping range change? Not talking missions, just regular group up and still get XP. I remember it being within 50% of the lower char's level.

I have some level 74s grouped with a 111. No XP for the 74s. They are all set to 0% to AA. Tested with the 111 having 100% to AA and 0% to AA. Also tested with various level mobs, but non-grey to the 111.

Am I missing something, or did they change how it works?

Thanks!
    Zynt likes this.
  12. Zynt Augur

30 levels is the max range. The formulae is level x 1.5 + 1 but 30 levels is the max regardless.
    Yinla and Tatanka like this.
  13. Tatanka Joe Schmo

OK, thanks
    Zynt likes this.