Performance & State-Of-The-Game

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Chip, Sep 30, 2022.

1. Angahran Augur

Am I the only only who finds it amusing that someone saying they are hosting code that was originally illegally obtained and reverse engineered that they should "but by all means, consult legal counsel" ?
  2. Schadenfreude Augur

He's a small business owner though so he probably has insight that mere mortals who haven't a third share in a rural gas station snack bar wouldn't have.
  3. Strawberry Augur

The lag in the lobby has nothing to do with the GPU.

What has happened in EQ is that there are thousands of different outfits, weapons, mounts, pets etc. Too many to keep all that stuff into system memory.

So when you suddenly encounter tons of new players in the lobby, or in a raid, EQ needs to start loading all the outfits, mounts, etc. All those assets residing on the HDD/SSD are being loaded into system memory, and it causes lag for some.

That's also the reason the lag is temporary. If it was a GPU rendering problem the lag would persist. Once the assets are loaded, the initial lag dissapears and you can run around in the lobby without much lag.

A solution to this problem would be EQ removing the number of different looking outfits, weapons, pets and mounts.

Another solution to this problem would be a toggle that simply turns all outfits, weapons, mounts and pets into vanilla graphics. So all those different assets never get loaded in the first place. Similar to how you can turn off spell effects.

You could argue that EQ should be loading all the assets into memory when you launch the game but that makes no sense. A solo player who never enters the lobby and plays in some remote zone doesn't need all those assets into their memory heap.
    minimind and Fanra like this.
  4. Jumbur Improved Familiar

We have such a toggle under "options" that works for hero's forge armor(but not weapons/shield(i think)/mounts/familiars), and turning it off does help the problem somewhat.
    Strawberry likes this.
  5. Strawberry Augur

Ah interesting.
  6. Buds Augur

Hmm, I have run 6 sessions of EQ on my NUC pc, just Intel XE graphics and didn't have any video lag.

As far as micro transactions. There aren't any that you NEED to buy at all, not even close. I have seen games that you couldn't progress, without spending thousands on micro transactions. I do think it is a bit much to pay for expansions and the monthly sub, for a game this old. I'm glad they still put effort into it, but maybe include the expansion with a year sub or something like that?
  7. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

Stickfigures=1
    ?
    Marton, Fanra and Laurana like this.
  8. minimind The Village Idiot

I appreciate the clarity.

I'm not a developer or a small business owner. I work for a monolithic public entity. Whenever someone asks, "Why hasn't this been fixed?," the 100% honest answer is almost certainly, "Because we were told to keep costs low which means we can't hire people to fix things to the extent we wish."

I'm guessing that would their response as well.

Pro-tip: DBG staff rarely respond to posts like this and condescension is far from enticing.

What QOL improvements cost real money?

$200 for 12 months of unlimited entertainment is a pretty solid deal. It's one of the reasons I fit EQ into my budget during the one year I was unemployed.

You don't need those. They're almost useless when you're new to the game.

Pro-Tip: Buy your sub, play the game, and every month claim the free 500DB cash. Then use that to buy your Hero's Forge and other things.

Those aren't necessary either. In my mind, it's a way of paying more to DBG (doing them a solid) and getting something immeasurably small in return.

You lost me here. I have no clue what housing item in EQ costs $50+ dollars.

If you think you can pay to win in EQ, then you serious overestimate the value of the bought perks and items. And if you're getting "little to no entertainment", then why are you here?
    Waring_McMarrin likes this.
  9. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

See? That's how I felt about it. OP has some legit gripes. But little to no entertainment? Come on!! :)
    minimind likes this.
  10. Hobs Elder

Same here. EQ works on both of my NUCs. One is an i5 and the other is a Celeron. Both maxed out specs wise.
  11. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

NUCs are fantastic little examples of electronics engineering.
  12. Rijacki Just a rare RPer on FV and Oakwynd

HoT is when Housing was introduced.

VoA has house items as drops (Sarith has chairs, tables, and benches; Pillars of Alar has different types of tiles, and animal heads drop is several of the zones that a tailor can turn into a taxidermy mounted head) plus a few as quest rewards (books mostly that I have run into myself).

RoF is the first expansion with collection quests. Doing all of the collections you get a reward with 8 different house items (dead trees, pillars, and cages). I'm not sure if any quest rewards or drops are house items, I haven't gotten any myself.

CotF has house items for every zone's collective collection quests (i.e. 4 collections for a collection of collections reward) with additional groups of those collections which all give house items for a total of 60 different items.

TDS also has house items for collection quests by zone grouping and such with a total of 39 house items. There are also a few purchase items in the Arx Mentis of gardening and cleaning supplies.

I got a little obsessed on the collection quests with house items... https://rijacki-game.blogspot.com/2022/07/Collection-HouseItems.html (The page is part of a nascent blog for EQ housing I can rarely steal a bit of time to add information to since there is really no singular location for EQ housing related stuff, unlike the super excellent EQ2 housing related sites done by some of those players. Sadly my day job robs me of too much time or I would be able to get more of it done sooner and upload many of the pictures I have sitting on my computer.)

As mentioned, when you get the collection quest reward, you also get the ability to buy as many of those items with plat as you would like from the Excavator in the big hut by the gate in each of the neighborhoods.

If you want to see all of the collection quest rewards + the items bought in Arx Mentis, I have a house with them on FV in the Cedar Country Meadows neighborhood, 102 Guild Way. I have stocks of the items in the house storage with 'take' access for my guild members as well as it being a place where someone can see them all. I also have a plot near the Gate and big Hut with all the crafted furniture on display in the yard.

Most of houses of my various alts in Cedar Country Meadows on FV have very few or even zero DB cash bought items. I have about a dozen plots of my own most of which only have the outside done so far but a couple are "finished" inside, too, especially now that I have gotten all the collection quest items. I've also done all of the Lux hall (mostly not DB stuff) and half of the Saga hall (more DB stuff mostly bought by another guildy).

I've also gotten a little obsessed with making the house not look like a bland normal house. For this one, I think the only DB item is the spiral staircase. I don't recall anything else outside or in.
    [IMG]
    CrazyLarth and MasterMagnus like this.