patches bug 1 toon.

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by strongbus, Sep 18, 2020.

1. strongbus Augur

hiya. don't know what going on but here it goes.

every time eq patches it messes with ui files of just 1 toon, to the point that that toon won't load or stay logged in. I can delete the ui files and replace them with backups. but it dose it again next patch. and it only dose it on one system. have 3 computers all have the same ui files. 2 systems work fine. 3rd after each patch messes just 1 toon up

and its the same toon each and every time.
  2. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

All computers set to run as administrator?

Did that one UI-file get write-protected somehow?

It happens sometimes if the file was copied from a write-protected backup-media originally. Un-check the "read-only"-file attribute.
  3. strongbus Augur

not that i know of. we swich ui for all toons back and forth as we make chances to toons. but its only this one and on one system that messes up.
  4. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

rename the ui file by shoving OLD_ in front of it the charactername.servername.ui.ini then load up the game, log in & copy the layout socials etc from that & once you make any minor adjustments log out

Now save the newly created UI file into a new directory e.g. UI backups on your desktop or onto a usb or cloud storage repository like google drive/one drive or similar.

Now whenerver you get the issue you have a way to very quickly fix the problem by downloading the patch & then copying the backup back over the top of the character UI file to fix the problem before you even log in.
  5. strongbus Augur

that what we do know we have a back up copy of that toons ui saved on a different part of the hard drive on that system we copy over. we just trying to figure out what would be causing it in the 1st place.
  6. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

In the situation you have I think nailing the exact issue causing this could be like searching for a needle in a haystack, I simply don't have the knowledge or skill-set to figure that out.

If I had that happen to me I'd rename the existing game folder delete the shortcut & re-install a fresh download of EverQuest, copy over all the character config files from the renamed one, copy over the renamed OLD_charactername.servername.ui file and in game copy layout from that & see if that fixes it.