Paladin - Weapon Aug

Discussion in 'Tanks' started by Ditka, Mar 30, 2014.

1. Ditka Journeyman

Since Group weapons only have a type 4, which is best for the aug if currently using a Rune proc from the actual weapon.

A 5dmg Rune aug (so 2x Rune proc's) or a 5dmg stun proc?

I heard Rune is better aggro, but I wasn't sure if 2 Rune proc's would even work well together.
  2. Sharpshooter Lorekeeper

Rune is alright agro. I mean if you have a 700 HP rune thats 1400 Hate when it procs.

What you want to do is throw in a "Yunaizarn's Fang" in your weapon (+5 Damage, 325DD Stun). It's a stun up to level 100... BUT when you proc a stun you have a chance of your 'group heal when stun is cast' AA going off.

I've also known some raiding Tanks to throw in HP/AC augs into their weapons rather than relying on procs for agro.
  3. shiftie Augur

As an FYI not all weapon procs will trigger healing light, as a general rule most do not.
  4. Daegun Augur

As paladins and warriors have limited ae aggri capabilities compared to sks, I wouldn't recommend any augment other than the 5 dmg rune proc one of cotf vendor. Even for sks, that aug is just plain win. It will give you the most aggro over time vs single targets of any aug proc and that hate is applied to all mobs on your aggro list.

Damage upgrade vs any other aug will be minimal.
    Survivability on a raw ac aug won't be as much.

Whenever possible I prefer to double rune proc (harder for warriors).

Once the procs start rolling, Aggro on the cluster is generally locked unless a dps fails to assist correctly.
    Serriah_Test likes this.
  5. Serriah_Test Augur

Exactly this.
    Double run proc helps a lot when you pull clusters of mobs in HAs to get them done quick.

My weapon setup is
    1 hander - 2 rune procs.
    2 hander - 2 lifetap procs.
  6. shiftie Augur

Life tap procs in a 2 her instead of 2 raw dmg Augs.......... Ohhhh rly
    Mithrandyr likes this.
  7. Ravengloome Augur

Some peoples kids.
  8. Serriah_Test Augur

Yes RLY.
    You do realize how little actual damage those pure damage augs provide for Knights, right?
  9. shiftie Augur

Lol yes because adding dmg and changing the effective ratio of a weapon less important than adding a proc
  10. Rinrigok Journeyman

Doesn't a 306 lifetap aug only work out to be ~30dps (if I remembered the maths correctly) ?
  11. taliefer Augur

damage augs will far outperform any proc on 2handers. the only reason to use lifetap augs is the fun of having a proc. which is valid.
  12. Delfino New Member

Friends don't let friends put anything but pure damage augs on knight 2h weapons. :D
  13. Imableeder Elder

Lets see the math!
  14. Delfino New Member

I'm not going to do a parse in order to prove that the best pure damage aug placed in a knight 2h weapon will out dps any proc aug in the game.

Do melee classes put anything but pure damage augs in their weapons in order to reach maximum dps? It stands to reason that any class that derives a significant amount of dps from meleeing would benefit more from using a pure damage aug in their best weapon set rather than using a proc aug.
  15. Serriah_Test Augur

My lifetap config vs the 16 damage 2 hander aug is only ~200 dps less on the parse FYI.
    But, let's do the math...

So I have this 277/37 spear.
    Ratio = 7.5

Now, I add a 16 damage aug to it.
    Ratio = 7.9

So you end up with a 6% increase in MELEE dps.
    I do about 6.5k in melee DPS on average. I do anywhere from 12 - 14k DPS total (with spells) on a non-burn.

0.06 x 6500 = 390 dps...

I can see why you didn't want to do the math or parse it...
    You got all upity on me over a lousy 200 DPS and SIGNIFICANTLY LESS HEALING.

Yeah.... Rock on you DPS knights you!
    Better tell that wizard to Sloooooow down... you got this covered!
  16. Riou EQResource

Now do the math while burning, where lifetap proc gains basically no DPS from
  17. Serriah_Test Augur

Yeah... that 390 DPS can turn into 1200-1500 extra DPS for 1 or 2 minutes every 17 mins... or the equivalent of one Shadowknight pet...
    Look out world! And yes... wizards necros and mages... slow down again.
  18. shiftie Augur

I like when people argue something because of a wild hair in their chest despite 15 years of everquest data. That ratio when you hit valorous rage goes into godmode. Not to mention you can't proc off of a riposte and raw damge applies to every successful hit, and factors into the damage/aggro equation even on a miss.

The only reason to use a 2 her is for dps otherwise why give up the shield as a paladin the ratios are close if you can afford to drop the shield in favor of dps proc dmg is laughable. Anyone defending it loses all creditibity.
  19. Serriah_Test Augur

6% is 6%... burning, not burning... that's 6% extra lousy Knight DPS.
    The extra aggro you get is like a 2% increase (if that) since your damage bonus is dependent on delay and not damage.

Valorious Rage = God Mode? Seriously?
    Okay... 2.5 x 390..... 975 extra dps from a 16 damage aug while in "god mode". Huzzah.

Well, let's do it all...
    6.9k x 2.5 = 17.25k DPS from weapon.... you might have caught up to my necro's first 3 dots there... Maybe.

The only time I care about base damage as a knight is when I am tanking multiples and burning and don't need my shield.
  20. Rinrigok Journeyman

Replacing a lifetap aug with a dmg aug means you get significantly less healing ???