Paladin vs Shadowknight currently

Discussion in 'Tanks' started by Valendil, Jan 25, 2017.

1. Valendil New Member

I was wondering in the current state of the game, which class can you get more out of? It looks like sks are aggro kings and pallies can be outstanding healers if played at a high ability. Either class would be boxed with two support as well (suggestions on those would be great also!)
  2. sojero One hit wonder

you can be a a prissy delicate knight glistening in unicorn goo, or you can be the best. For group game they are interchangeable, pick your flavor.
    Kravn, Sheex and Felicite like this.
  3. Nennius Curmudgeon

I wasn't aware that shadowknights (the other knights) used unicorns :p , but can be very effective at both raiding and in group situations. Much of this comes down to the skill of the player, gear, and AA's. In truth, the best one for you will be the one that best fits you as a player.

I have never boxed, so I can't help you with that part of your question.
    skattabrainz likes this.
  4. Felicite Augur

Great. How I am supposed to get that image out of my head now?
  5. Qbert Gallifreyan

6. Seldom Augur

Really depends on what your definition of "more out of" is. If your goal is to be able to grind out as many aa as possible, as quickly as possible, while exploring the game and camping various things with a new box crew, I'd go with SK. Easy to FD around wherever and can just drag boxes then rezz. You also get more out of an SK you're not fully paying attention to while boxing versus a Paladin. SK's have far more/easier automated aggro at the highest level, as well as more automated healing. Pertaining to raids, if you plan on going that route eventually, both classes are equally desired if you know how to play. If enjoy being able to heal/cure others when the need arises and enjoy cleansing undead from time to time, go with Paladin.
  7. Valendil New Member

Seldom any box suggestions with sk? Im definitely thinking enhanter for one for the cc and decentish dps.
  8. sojero One hit wonder

chanter and wizard would be good to box with an sk.
  9. Tereil Elder

I do SK/enc/mag. It's quite great.
  10. Seldom Augur

I'd personally go with druid as my 3rd box if going with SK/Enc. Between tracking, debuffs/heals, rezz/call, ports etc. will make the overall bot experience much more enjoyable IMO. Can't really go wrong with Wiz or Magi also, especially in newest expansion where some things just have a ton of HP
  11. Xanathol Augur

I boxed a Druid for a long time once my wife decided EQ was not for her. Ports are handy but in today's game, shes just not 'enough' with the attention I have to pay my SK (if you are boxing with an SK, you best focus your play on the SK). Currently I box a Beastlord, which makes for a nice combo - castable slow, dps, pet dps / offtank, buffs / adps, spot heal in a pinch, invis & FD-lite. With mercs, it is a hard to beat duo imo.
  12. Valendil New Member

What about warriors? How are they doing currently?
  13. Corak Elder

From the standpoint of boxing a 105 warrior in the group game, I would say warriors are great right now. Lots of powerful defensive and agro abilities that do not requiring spamming, which is really helpful in boxing. Lately I have been enjoying nice dps on the warrior using Dual Wield stance, while still having enough defense to tank EoK T2 mobs comfortably. My warrior actually keeps up with my wizard in dps against trash mobs in a non-burning, chain pulling, box group environment. Then when the name arrives, the warrior goes defensive (low dps) and the wiz burns it down.
  14. Valendil New Member

Warrior seems better for boxing yeah i have to be constantly clicking on my so to do stuff. Any suggestions for boxes with warrior?
  15. Riou EQResource

Flavor of the month DPS Zerker since they are like 2x+ the next best for like 1.5 yrs now :p
  16. moogs Augur

I use Druid, Enchanter and Magician/Warrior on the 3rd account. Seems to work out.
  17. Brohg Augur

Classes that can group invis to undead:
    Cleric
    Paladin
    Shadowknight
    Necromancer
    Wizard
    Magician
    Enchanter

Classes that can group invis:
    Wizard
    Magician
    Enchanter
    Druid
    Shaman
    Bard
    Ranger

It is useful to not have your source for each be overlapping.
    Felicite likes this.
  18. fransisco Augur

Criteria for choosing a box should be classes with different abilities that compliment. If they share some abilities, that might be useful. It certainly isn't a reason to disregard a class.
  19. Zarzac Augur

20. TenkenTurtle Elder

I am partial to Paladins as since 1999 a Paladin has been my main. I left EQ for real life for about 6 years and came back during the TDS expansion to be very pleasantly surprised. I was level 69 when I left awhile back and came back to the same character to do a Heroic upgrade to 85. Then grinded myself to 105 and Max AA. Whew once that was done on to some real content. I bought some krono and then used it to buy chase items to gear up myself. Joined a guild that was raiding CoF.. Got mildly geared up. Was able to molo stunnable mobs with wiz merc. If they are unstunnable or multiples needed a healer merc and did just fine for most of the quests through TDS and TBM. Got my box toons up to bar and now I 3box with a Shaman and a Ranger. Still getting their gear up to par. Raiding TBM with new guild. Going to start in EoK soon I hope.
    skattabrainz likes this.