Paladin tips / macros

Discussion in 'Tanks' started by Vizade, Dec 22, 2013.

1. Vizade New Member

Alright so I think it's about time I ask this.
    I'm boxing a paladin and a druid, they are sitting at 87, little over 2.5k AAs on the paladin atm.
    But due to exp flying these days (plus playing on test server, sometimes the double exp is a curse) I've leveled faster than I've managed to keep up with how to play.

I learned a bit here and there while killing in RoI the last couple days, but if you ask me anything I'm still completely clueless.

So a few questions.
    AA stun lines - Do I need to keep all of these on my bar? They seem to share a cooldown.
    mostly I seem to be using Divine Stun as a pulling tool and then Destructive Persecution because it seems to be the only with with damage. Should I be using something different? Is there a use for the others, or just stick with Destructive?

Heals - This is something I really should be learning, but with druid box, 90% of the time I'm just tabbing over and hitting the button so I feel like I do something with druid. I keep the group heal loaded, but honestly haven't kept others. I know at some point there are self-only heals, but don't *believe* I've noticed myself having any yet. Should I be bothering with the normal heals, with a healer following me around, or just stick with the self only when I get them?

Stupid question probably, but any way to make LoH / heals target yourself if you have mob targeted, without having to go through targeting yourself or making a macro to target yourself?
    Proc spell - I have a Symbol of the Planemasters, which I've read the stun proc can trigger Healing Light. Is this true? And if so, is it worth using over the proc line of spells? They don't seem to stack (or the one I have tried - Devout Fury, at least, overwrites it)

Macros -
    Alright, having hit 87 and picking up AAs, my bars are starting to fill up with a bunch of different buttons, and while I'm slowly adjusting to remembering what everything does, remembering "I should click X+Y+N together for max benefit" usually doesn't happen. Most of the time I get struck with a brainfart and click X, then next fight remember and hit Y and so on.
    Not that I'm even sure everything would stack, guess should play with that. Though I'm sure it's written down somewhere.

Basically, any defensive / offensive macros I can tie together quickly? Big thought would be wouldn't tying Armor of the Inquisitor, third spire and the Armor of X line together, would that be worthwhile on named and such? Or are there stacking issues?

Question I'd ask general chat but haven't been able to connect for over a day now. Is there a tradable knight 1hander at 90? Using Kalkek's atm but curious if I should be looking out for some other one. Haven't noticed one in baz, but being on test, that doesn't mean much.

I know there was more I wanted to ask, but I mostly seem to think up the questions when I'm half asleep, and forget by the time I wake up.

Long story short, I'm a hopeless idiot when it comes to figuring it all out, and any help is massively appreciated. Would rather be able to play my character at at least 75% efficiency, rather than 40 or so. Loving the class, just want to do more with him.
  2. Ravengloome Augur

- Make a macro for Stuns/crushes < I usually Put Renounce line in this macro as well because i am lazy and box a healer as well.
    - Keybind Cycle last 2 Targets or Target and Self to something you can use at a moments notice
    - Contrition or something like that is your big self heal (I think)

As far as stacking Defensive stuff together... I usually don't like to macro that stuff together if i can avoid it, most often times if you NEED to stack multiple defensive clicks (IE: Armor of the Inquisitor and Defensive) together its because of an emergency more so then you NEED to stack it together every time.

Gift of Life is a HOTT I believe

Yes SOTP and Shining Rampart/Armor/Bastion stuns will proc off your healing light

AA stuns are situational, They don't all need to be up at once I usually use Divine and Force of Disruption? I think thats the one that does a crapload of hate.

Also as far as boxing a Pally/Druid together (which is something i've done alittle of actually): Heal Proactively on the Druid and Reactively on the Paladin if that makes sense? Normally when i Box a healer I spam Light/Mending/Vida (whichever is their 3.8s heal) and if needed patch heal. Or if druid boomboom discs are up, I might take over healing with the paladin while i burn discs on the druid and resume healing with the druid after Improved Twincast and the other booms are on cooldown.

Somewhere on Samanna.net theres a post about what the DPS macro for Paladins is for burn fights, I Am not on my toon right now too post what it is.

Also learn how/when to use all our defensives Mantle/Armor/Deflection/Armor of the Inquis/Epic what situations what works best, how to judge when to run epic/armor or mantle or this and that. 90% of being a good tank is being situationally aware and able to adjust at a moments notice

Also I don't know if you do, but I play entirely with the Keyboard and to make it easier to target mobs on Ext target I keybind 1 - 6 for quick targetting/add pickup.
  3. Lisyonok Journeyman

Thanks for info.
    As of now, still haven't done epic, keep meaning to, but never get around to it. Need to grab that one of these days.
    Keyboard vs. mouse, I do a bit of both. Play on a laptop, and have a bad habit of leaving certain things off of keybinds because I have an equally bad habit of my keyboard buttons getting stuck and yay for burning everything while running to the camp.

Wasn't 100% sure about macroing together defensives, but figured might be something done. Never really played much of the 80+ game, had a constant habit of quitting/rerolling, so huge amount of button bloat is something new to me to some amount. So, to me, looking at the damage numbers in more recent expansions my brain goes "Jeez, they must have to stack EVERYTHING"
    I'm sure it's different in reality, and I'll find out as soon as I quit being lazy and camping undead for AAs, but for now, it's how my brain works.

Did remember something else I was going to ask.
    I know agility = AC, so I picked up the Planar agility line. Not much, but it boosted AC a few points a rank, can't hurt. Now, I keep reading about Heroic dex boosting riposte and such trigger rate. Is this ONLY Hdex or will picking up Planar dex line of AAs help with, say, swarm pulling for slays?

and random off the wall question here related to boxing.
    Sometimes I consider adding a third, though doubt I ever do. Bard would be great, but thinking about mage or necro. Mage was first thought because backup tank and CoH. But random reading leads me to the necro spell that flags the mob as undead for 6 sec. Would that alone be worth keeping a necro around for? Seems like it'd be pretty nice to toss slays out on everything.

edit: oh, forgot to say, this = OP. I finally remembered which of my accounts was the forum account I use. Future posts should come under this one
  4. Ravengloome Augur

Planar agility does nothing for you IIRC. The AC is just visual it has no real effect on your actual AC.
    I would personally add a necro to the box setup you have, Necros out dps Mages by a significant amount on burns/sustained.

Don't get me wrong in hard content you may have to stack multiple defensive type cool downs together to survive, but you don't want to do that everytime or need to do that everytime. If you don't have the split second decision making skills to do that on the fly... Well I can't really help ya there lol.

Also since you box ill add this: I've found Uniformity in UI's to be helpful

- Set up your UI as simple as possible (a jillion hotbars is only going to confuse you in a O F*** moment!)
    Leaving some old ability you use once in a bluemoon in a space near stuff you always click is not logical
    - Use similar keybinds across all toons you use (if 1 is auto attack on your pally, have it /assist paladin on your necro/druid/mage/whatever, etc)

Heroic Dex is key as far as heroics go, although if you cant fill all aug slots with Hdex fill them with the best Hagi augs you can find. Highest aug in shield... shield ac is key!

Planar Stamina matters... the rest are fluff

Also experiment! Experimentation and alot of deaths on your part are going to be what teaches you best.