Paladin Spell Line-up

Discussion in 'Tanks' started by Stickietoes, May 3, 2014.

1. Stickietoes Augur

What spell line-up do you paladins use?, and which one should i sacrifice for Steadfast Stance Rk. III?

1) Protective Allegiance Rk. III
    2) Splash of Cleansing RK. III
    3) Ostracize Rk. III
    4) Crush of Tarew
    5) Glorious Expurgation Rk. III
    6) Force of Iceclad
    7) Reverent Force Rk. III
    8) Sorrow Rk. III
    9) Burst of Sunrise Rk. III
    10) Aurora of Sunrise
    11) Demand for Honor Rk. III
    12) Valiant Deflection Rk. II

I was thinking about Crush of Tarew, I rarely cast it, and i hold aggro very greatly without it.
    What are your choices?
  2. Ravengloome Augur

Why would you bother with Stance?

98% of scenarios i don't even bother to cast it. If its a I need MOAR HP scenario thats when i mem it.

If i were you Id replace Demand for Honor tho. That spell is basically useless, the other spells on your bar seem very similar to the ones i keep up.
  3. Stickietoes Augur

True, if I didn't need before, why would I need now....
  4. Torriadore Elder

This is all for tanking group content, mind you if I raided my spellset would look very, very different.

I have a spellset for buffs, and variations of my main spellset

My spellsets are extremely flexible for group content. Our lineup is one of prioritization. Ask yourself the following:

Do I have enough self healing and group healing memmed? You can stack up to 2 group heals and a splash for cures, depending on the content you are farming. There are also means to reflect heals back onto yourself, and twinhealing to yourself. These should be considered and in some cases are superior to dedicating a spellcast purely to a heal, since they tend to do two things simultaneously (often it is damage) If you don't need healing then I recommend keep just enough on your bar to survive if your healer's doorbell rings or your merc derps out.

I have yet to find a scenario where I wished I had used the burst heal spellslot for something else, goes to show that if you use them effectively, some spells simply should never leave your lineup.

Do I have enough means to generate aggro in my group? Crushes, demand for honor, and nukes all are a means to the end. Stuns are great for when your survivability is otherwise low but crushes are always superior for dps if the tradeoff isn't the occasional death. Salve and aa nuke should be part of the equation here as well.

Am I camping undead content? Do I have undead nukes memmed to increase my dps?

Am I pulling? Do I need paci up to break in a camp?

How do I hold up on mana? Remove some of the more mana intense spells from your lineup if it's trouble (starting with dps, never with survival if your survival is not guaranteed)

Do I have enough means to proactively reduce damage if needed? Remember that not dying is always your first priority. Stance, Preservation, Protective allegiance are all tools for this. Not sure why stance was downplayed earlier, it does a great job cushioning a flurry of bad rounds from a hard hitter or a number of adds and allows your group to push greater pulls and limits.

As far as which spells are best it is all a numbers game, look at the heal/damage values on your spells, look at your focus effects, look at your # deaths in previous sessions (remember, survival always #1 priority). The devs have bloated our spellbook, you need to be very flexible and tailor your set to the occasion if you want to maximize your outputs. A lot of our spells are tailored to unique best case scenarios but there are just a handful I would consider always must haves on the bar.
  5. Daegun Augur

I always have:

-hate plus reflect heal
    -group heal
    -1 fast cast heal (self only vs targeted)
    -at least 2 stuns (good hate, fast cast, low mana, chance to reflect g heal)
    -temp hp buff (unless Druid/shaman)

The rest depends on the situation. Generally speaking I usually actually have 4 stuns loaded. Even for stun immune content they are cheap to cast with good hate generation - and a good source of passive heals. Valiant deflection is probably my single most used spell. Very fast cast with good hate; very reliable self heal. On stun sensitive content I just skip having a healer altogether. I haven't found many named I can't self heal myself through - all non named content (not counting PoWar) doesn't need a healer at all. I can heal self and group through pretty much everything.

I might eek out more dps with crushes, but I'm lazy and my personal dps is underwhelming to begin with. If rather have more available mana and a steady stream of bonus heals for myself and others.
  6. Dibab Augur

i would take splash down and only keep it as needed, Demand is always useful, always has been, Hate over time that you can spam to keep building it up plus damage mitigation. As for not using stance...really? 14k hp is a nice jump to not use.

Edit my lineup is as follows
    1) Burst of Sunrise RK III
    2) Wave of Sorrow RK III
    3) Reverent Touch RK III
    4) Brell's RK III
    5) Preservation of the Iceclad RK III
    6) Crush of the Iceclad RK III
    7) Reverent Force RK III
    8) Force of Reverence RK III
    9) Demand for Honor RK III
    10) Valiant Deflection RK III
    11) Devout Audacity RK III
    12) Steadfast Stance RK III
  7. Ravengloome Augur

Demand Damage mitigation doesnt stack with Vie or Protective's Vie...

Hate over time? If i want hate I want it now. It is literally a waste of a slot, there are spells that are worth my time to cast, Demand isn't one of them. Let alone the fact when Hate overtime would be useful (when CC is around) the mobs are probably getting blurred periodically from chanter mezes, thusly negating its usefulness.

Also if your spam casting like you should be, its more useful to weave in a crush/stun then it is demand, Mobs in current group content die in less then 30 seconds, most times less then 15... So you get The initial hate + 1 maybe 2 best case 3 ticks of the aggro over time... Yeh not worth it to me.

Demand is also only 4500 hate (+ 4500/tick)... Valiant is 7000something < considering I am more often then not functioning as the main healer and main tank for my groups, my time is better spent using HOTT heals and Stuns/crushes.

Since your convinced Demand is worth a spell gem, please explain to me how its useful. Maybe I am just an idiot.

As for Stance: In average group play no its pretty much a why bother spell, If i die its because I did something very very stupid, and 14k health isn't going to save you from very very stupid. If i am tanking a hard named or tanking adds in a raid or kiting/etc or doing something where an extra 14k is arguably useful i use it. < but outside of plane of war named it doesnt even warrant a spell gem for group content.
  8. Daegun Augur

I used to use it as a fast cast pulling tool (demand). These days I don't bother. If I want a fast cast that won't make a mob summon or stun it delaying the pull I'll tag with the resist debuff :p
  9. Dibab Augur

considering everything but demand has a cooldown on its hate why not keep spamming it? anything to add more hate? sorry works great for me on raids all the time never lose agro and if you dont want 14k hp thats ur issue

edit

as i stated above stuns and every other hate ability we have has a lockout. demand, with max AA into it is refreshed pretty much instantly. So you can literally spam 4500 hate along with everything else we cast. and stil gaining free hate from a spell you arent recasting while gaining it from others. either way you are gaining. so if say i cast Val Deflec right as demand ticks. instead of 7k hate, which is modded higher, i get 11.5k hate. all because i cast another spell
  10. Daegun Augur

In today's eq thankfully we don't have to align our focus exclusively on threat generation. Extra hate is simply extra overkill unless your dps groupies are hot on your heals.

I'd rather free up that spell gem for things that carry other benefits. For stuns that's at worst a chance for a free heal and at best stopping the incoming damage a few rounds. For crush, that's more dps. For valiant that's a stellar self heal and hate rolled in one. As for the rest, there are a lot of very good spells out there begging for a spot on my bar - be it a cure, fast heal, 14khp temp buff, defensive heal proc ...

More hate for the sake of more hate is pointless unless you need that more hate to do your job. With marrs gift aggro debuff, I honestly can't remember the time I had threat problems.
  11. shiftie Augur

Unless something changed since my computer broke that I can't find in the spell parser. This is what I used.

Glorious
    Crush
    Undead nuke
    Undead nuke
    Preservation
    Valiant/reprimand/protective
    Splash/wave
    Burst
    Aurora
    Penitence
    Contrition
    Sorrow

There were always caveats and situational use like loading the hate overtime stuff to box so I had hate ticking while I was tabbed out. If I needed pacify or something like that I swapped out aurora as it has no gem refresh by using /memspellset commands. Getting ready to fight a named mob I'd mem stance cast and drop it. Never hurts to wait a sec but I never kept it constantly memmed. As for the three omgsave me heals... In conjunction with forceful it made for one hell of a raid tank.

Aggro can be held with the aa stuns and those nukes. I stopped using stuns eons ago. The random free heal is moderate at best in comparison to a real heal from a cast through tott.
  12. Ravengloome Augur

....... Spamming Demand is only 4500 hate per cast

..... Almost any other spell we have is atleast 6000 hate per cast

If you want to work harder go ahead

Also last i checked Demand doesn't heal you in anyway shape or form... Once you hit threshold of hate, like daegun said you aren't doing anything but getting unneeded extra hate.

At that point its more intelligent to use things that heal you/your group mates

lets say on a trash mob that lasts 30 seconds you chain Demand
    Lets say for the sake of argument you cast it 10 times. and it was the first thing you cast on the mob so you got 4 ticks for sure of the HATE over time

10x 4500 = 45000 hate
    4x 4500 = 18000 hate

For a combined total of 63000

Ok now lets compare someone not using Demand
    Casting Valiant Deflection 4x during that 30 seconds = 28,000 hate. Not factoring in Crits: ive healed for up to 20,000 in base heals

Casting protective 2x atleast = 11000 base heals... protective doesnt have a hate override so 1hp healed = 1 hate. Figuring no crits thats another 11,000 hate

Casting 4x Stuns or Crushes to fill in the other length of time there is = 28,000 hate roughly, and procing the Reverent healing on your self

11,000 (Which is a complete low ball considering how much healing i typically do in the average evening with Protective...)

So i generated 67,000 hate which is already more hate then you chaining Demand

But I healed myself for the very least 30,000 while generating more hate then you did chaining demand.

That is why Demand isn't worth the .5sec to cast + 1.5sec GCD.
  13. Dibab Augur

not gonna argue with you man. you wanna not use a good spell its ur loss
  14. Torriadore Elder

Demand is good when boxing, it keeps things locked on to you while tabbing around. But in a real group when playing only the paladin and you have up to 5 other players actively trying to make things dead? Yeah....go with the up front hate and protective (if you still need the vie)
  15. Damandor New Member

bump for me