Paladin Legends of Norrath

Discussion in 'Tanks' started by Abazzagorath, Jan 8, 2015.

1. Abazzagorath Augur

I was on LoN the other day and noticed that old card, the one that gives you the title ", Legend of Norrath". It led me to think about who are the Paladin legends of the game. I thought it would be fun for people to post the names of important paladins from 1999 onwards in terms of their impact on Everquest, on their servers, or on paladins and players in general. Heck, maybe even just to yourself. So don't "nominate" yourself, as that's pretty lame, but if you think of some I missed, post them! I think it might be fun!

I feel like we have lost a lot of the community aspect we used to have with the old ezboard class forums that emerged from eq stratics and everlore, so its nice to remind people of some key people.

So here is my list, in no particular order:

Romidar - involved in proving ac mattered before we even had a log function in game, resulting in ranger Fear armor being nerfed, one of the original parsers back when we could prove the devs were completely wrong about their own game
    Graal - developed the first comprehensive database on damage bonus (when it wasn't listed on weapons) with delay, and parses on agility
    Caladel - big time parser, wrote a log parser geared towards paladins that actually correctly parsed slays back when Yalp didn't, helped pinpoint the Holyforge nerf that the devs claimed didn't happen
    Iustus - smart player, one of the top geared paladins for years (back when gear mattered and this meant something), frequent Paladins of Norrath poster
    Riou - one of the founders of EQ Resource, had a lot of input (relatively speaking) for some paladin things in recent years (but he's a class traitor!!!! =) )
    Shiftie - helped paladins get a lot of upgrades over a few year stretch, very involved poster and helped move paladin swarming from something only a few of us did quietly on our own, to something every paladin tried to do (miss you Ruins of Illslan!)
    Gilthanos - long time PoN poster, one of the paladin community core guys (when we had a community), really really good guy who's life was cut short by a criminal fleeing police in a tragic car wreck
    Valya - ran PoN at the end of its original run, moved it to a new home, which eventually had to move again later to where it is now sitting dead on the shaman forum home
    Saintsaens - longtime PoN poster about various and sundry things, also involved with running PoN near the end
    Amanensia - long time Euro player, think she may have quit? not sure, hasn't been in the serverwide channel in a long time, was a class correspondent too
    Kainzo - bit of a jerk, but also funny guy, best of the best winner as a paladin, part of old school BotS from the Rathe back when they mattered
    Gilfalas - not to be confused with Gilthanos, nice guy and one of the early PoN admins
    Musk - don't know much about him, but he was the first paladin to complete the Fiery Avenger, and that deserves a mention, I remember the picture of him in dark elf illusion in yellow armor in a pic on the front of Everlore when that happened
    Imrahil - long time PoN guy, euro server guy, frequent post on all iterations of the various forums, even has a weapon named for him
    Galidin - don't ever say he wasn't consistent, even if some of us rarely agreed with him, always up to work for paladins in betas, long time poster and paladin
    Aragir - dude actually spent time trying to determine if keeping sacks of hay from the karana farms on you would reduce food usage while on a horse, deserves a mention just for that!
    Myanta - first "paladin class correspondent", for whatever it was worth, so needs a mention
    Knytul - guy helped paladins out a lot for a short time, middle era paladin worth mentioning
    Zsazsa - long time poster, always with an opinion
    Hulkling - paladin correspondent for the longest amount of time, iirc

I'm sure I missed a lot of important people, so let us know who you think is a legend in everquest as a paladin!
    aariell_xev and Seldom like this.
  2. Crystilla Augur

Old school Pallies from Morell Thule that come to mind for one important reason or another:

Best 3 pallies I'd ever played with - Tingling, Aylluesa, Heaas
    - Those 3 took pallies from beyond the "EQ starting player description" and played them with skill I've rarely seen since.

#1 most memorable pally from another server - Shiftie (everything he could solo was phenomenal)
  3. Ravengloome Augur

Bengalee and his bacon infused shenanigans in Serverwide?!

How did that not get mentioned!
    aariell_xev and Elricvonclief like this.
  4. Malevolus New Member

Dunric - Povar - Oldschool Triton
  5. Battleaxe Augur

Leovon MacHyland - first Paladin to complete the Fiery Defender
  6. Seldom Augur

Very thoughtful post Abaz. Nice to see some light shined on some of the best of our class. My list would have to be Cladtwo; first paladin game wide to get epic 1.5. What makes this an even more interesting statistic is that he was an alt/twink and even had to do the pre-quest as he had no fiery defender. Ozimandias; extremely good paladin that was a very good wizard. Galidin; only person I've ever seen have a six month trial period in a guild. His personality rubbed many the wrong way but he was just blunt. As Abaz stated, he was consistent if nothing else and showed passion for his class. Cove; most skilled paladin I ever witnessed play. Was known for rarely ever speaking except for when making groups, leading raids or giving advice. Running into good paladins nowadays seems to be a rare occurence, at least on my server.
  7. Sheex Goodnight, Springton. There will be no encores.

It's a bit era specific, but in my guild during Luclin/PoP/LDoN had a nice paladin in it named Relix, who was a pretty good player, think he was first on Tunare with the pofire spear, for example. He won one of those best of the best tournaments early and had a neat surname, Champion of War.
  8. Edrick Augur

Yukitaro was the leader of Knights of Eternal Good on The Rathe. I played with him on release and during beta. Caladel was one of the initial members of the guild. We grew up together, and even had the classic death in Ocean of Tears from zoning after the boat had left. I remember us both going to Crushbone and yelling at people on trainer hill not to sit in the hill, because we thought the anti-camp radius was real and the trainer wouldn't spawn with his Shiny Brass Shield if you sat up there.

Mills (high elf cleric) was in his guild too, he was the first level 50 on the server.
  9. Ultama New Member

I would have to throw on a list like this the pali who taught me how to tank and pushed the limits of what a pali was doing back in the days of Pop and Gates, Raynor of Xev, was in Ody, he was their off tank, when palis were seen as only loh and a waist of time. for me as a rogue, him and i would go duo the first 2 trials just as a farm and hit up gates zones back when it was still risky with a group. but he was an amazing tank and player helped me out and even now i play a pali and can rock it cause of what he taught me for the class.
  10. Dibab Augur

Only one paladin i have ever known would make this list to me on luclin now stromm as far back as know before that - Dlorien
  11. Beldukil New Member

There was some bum named Beldukil.
  12. drizerker Lorekeeper

Oh Wow. What a fun discussion here that someone casted a Resurrection Spell on.
    Raiding on a SK moons ago you know and see what your fellow tanks can do so let's give some recognition here. I had the pleasure of being in Cestus Dei long ago on Veeshan server. My 3 Top Paladins that come to mind would be Fenanebae (who is still playing and kicking butt today), Madren, and Crinus (both retired but no doubt would still be on their game). Not only such great players but better people. Always willing to lend a hand to others as well as defend the realm.

Let us also not forgot those paladins we have all lost and who has moved on from Earth and Norrath: RIP JerryK