Paladin 85+

Discussion in 'Tanks' started by FranktheBank, Apr 6, 2020.

1. FranktheBank Augur

Hey guys, I am a paladin on Selo server and we just unlocked UF which brought a lot of awesome spells like SPLASH. I'm having trouble narrowing down which spells to keep up. The problem I am finding is that some of the information is based on later versions of spell lines in which I think improved them?

Anyway, I am going to list my spell set and reasoning and would appreciate any feedback telling me if I am off base.

1. Burst - Used for saving people or myself in emergency.
    2. Wave - I used to run 2 waves, but one shares a timer with splash
    3. Splash - the greatest spell ever.
    4. Vindication - twincast set up for splash or wave or bursts.
    5. Ward of Tunare - Self-buff ac AC/ATK/Threat
    6. Aurora - I am often in a tank group, then helped with 1-2 of the tanks spiking.
    7. DA - I feel like this is a crutch, but I dont want to need it and not have it.
    8. Timer 4 stun (1s stun, 12s cd)
    9. Timer 5 stun (1s stun, 12s cd) - Swap to Crush if unstunnable
    10. Timer 6 Crush (24s cd) - swap to Lesson if stunnable
    11. Brells - so I can rebuff easily
    12. Stance - Free max HP
    I heard Protective Confession is great, but the heal is like 4k, while my Touch is about 5k non crit. The guard part is capped at 4400 hp, which seems pretty meh.

I can't really fit my Jolt (hate over time) in, but I don't seem to have any threat issues at all in raid or groups.
    Any feedback on spells would be great. Also, anything about upcoming spells would be awesome.
    Thanks.
  2. shiftie Augur

Da is an option in aa, hammer and worst case scenario you can mirror your spell set and change one spell for da using the /memspellset command and swap out to da and hit forceful rejuvenation on a raid where your absolutely need it keep it up I guess. Otherwise you are wasting utility.

Protective has a lesser cast time and can be used while tanking the vie it places on the target and you can spam this spell for 100% uptime.

Brells is also worthless to keep up 24/7 with the memspellset command it offers no other benefit and the hp is marginal most of your raid force is going to be asking for ranger or bst buffs.
    Wulfhere likes this.
  3. Szilent Augur

So high raw healing number is nice, but has a limit (your max hp), and you'll only "cash in" on big heals if you're taking a ton of damage - which might be called tanking badly.

The guard part isn't a high number, but it's not just a different kind of healing, it's a whole different animal - it protects against future damage to make you more actually tanky. Berserkers, after all, have hp to match knights. What makes them not tanks is that they take piles more damage than tank classes. It's the ability to reduce incoming damage that defines us.

Stuns are sorta the pinnacle of that, reducing incoming damage to 0 if the mob is susceptible. Protective, though, is an important part of the Paladin package for mitigating the hits they do take. If you're really going for it, the Confrontation for Honor line is a mirror to Protective. Protective uses SPA162 which absorbs a portion of damage off the bottom of hits. Honor uses SPA451 which absorbs a portion of damage off the top.

An observable caveat is that Protective's protection won't be doing anything when you're in the toughest battles, because the good defensive discs Armor and Mantle work by using souped-up versions of that same protection. I suspect that wouldn't influence my spell bar formulation, since discs don't last forever, but that's nitty-gritty professional paladin business
  4. Wulfhere Augur

Alternate Aurora for Denouncement (unless AE heavy event)
    Alternate Timer 4 Stun with Confrontation for Honor (if unstunnable)
    Drop Timer 6 spells altogether. Replace with Elegy.
    Szilent likes this.
  5. Zalamyr Augur

More so than most classes, paladins have some debate on what to put in their spell line ups.

Protective should really be in there. You are right in the guard being a bit underwhelming in UF, but it ramps up by HoT. Might as well get used to it. The obvious spell to cut is DA. You have that in AA form when needed.

I'm not a big fan of ever using the t6 stun unless you really need it to live. The knock back is annoying for all involved.

Keeping Brell's memmed all the time is also wasteful. Make a spellset that has just Brell's in a spell slot that has no/little cooldown (the same slot you have aurora in, for example) and just /memspellset as needed. I keep a hotbar of /memspellset hotkeys next to my spell gems for convenience sake on most of my toons. Allows you to swap out just one spell at the push of a button as called for.
  6. FranktheBank Augur

Denouncement I get in HoT. How much reduced threat is that?
    Confrontation is the jolt, would you take that over a crush? I guess you are saying the guard is worth it.
    Elegy is the undead nuke, the threat from the non-undead nuke is comparable to crush? I also get Elegy in HoT, currently its only undead.

I dropped DA. I really thought about it and the only time i need a 2nd DA and the AA DA is down is if I am pulling like the entire MG floor or something stupid.

Edit: I will probably put Aurora and Brells on the same spell gem and swap spell sets as people ask for buffs.(Thanks for the suggestion)

This is good stuff. As far as AAs, it seems like Force of Disruption is 99% replaced by Disruptive Persecution as long as I am not breaking a mez or something.
  7. shiftie Augur

Disruptive had its aggro neutered. As you are building initial aggro use fod or if someone is challenging your aggro and you can’t keep up otherwise yes use disruptive.

At 85 you should be swarming in illsalin
  8. FranktheBank Augur

So the tooltip on Disruptive states DD + Threat. Do we get the threat from the DD portion?
  9. shiftie Augur

Disruptive Persecution VII Detail | History | Raw Data

Slot Description
    1: Decrease Hitpoints by 24000. Max: None. Calculates to current max level.
    2: Interrupt Casting (100%)

Mana: 1975 Casting Time: 0.5
    Recast Time: 0 Fizzle Time: 0
    Resist: Magic Resist Adjust: -150
    Range: 200 Location: Any
    Time of Day: Any Hate Generated: 3000
    Reflectable: No Focusable: Yes
    Dispellable: Yes Interruptable: Yes
    Target Type: Single Spell Type: Detrimental
    Source: Live 03/21 Link: Allakhazam's Entry

You can look at the Lucy data on the spell the hate amount is predetermined
  10. Zalamyr Augur

You can use the AA section at raidloot.com to check a lot of the spell info. At 85, disruptive is a 3k DD with a fixed 2k hate amount (the DD does not add hate, it's 2k hate total) and a 500 mana cost. Force of disruption is 5k hate, no mana cost.

So force is used if you need max threat or any situation you need to conserve mana while generating threat. Disruptive is used any other time.
  11. FranktheBank Augur

Yeah, I dont think I'll be using Confession in group content atm, it seems to just be ripping through my mana, it is nice tho. Made the switch back to FoD as well

Does Confession generate heal aggro for me?

This is super helpful.
  12. Szilent Augur

Elegy will nuke any kind of enemy. Elegy will nuke undead enemies harder, and has a 20% chance to debuff undead, but it will definitely nuke any enemy.

Its hate = its base nuke damage, so ~1/3 the hate of timer6 Crush versus live enemies, ~1/2 versus undead. Both spells are less hate than a click of Force AA on a one-to-one comparison. Wulfthere chooses to load the nuke because of its lower cool down. If pulls are fast paced, having a spell to cast is infinitely more agro than not having a spell to cast. "ymmv"
  13. Szilent Augur

Unless the spell has a hate override, like Aurora and Splash do, any healing can generate "witness agro". Any enemy that hates you (so not just standing around. gotta already be in combat) has ~half(?) chance to gain agro equal to the base heal amount. So Protective Confession can gain you 4k agro, but won't always. Spells with a hate override will always generate exactly their override (even if they're resisted!); Splash for instance has an override of 100 - you will always gain 100 hate for Splashing.

Notable overrides:
    Crush of Marr 8708, Force of Marr 4747
    Crush of Repentance 6774
    Earnest Force 4219
    Force of Disruption(6) 7500
  14. Zalamyr Augur

My understanding is that it's some convoluted intelligence check with the mob that determines their likelihood to "notice" it, but I'd love to hear from somebody who has more concrete details.
    Szilent likes this.
  15. Wulfhere Augur

It's not about "reduced threat" and in a raid you won't even notice that it can result in a small negative hate. It's about spot healing the main tank while doing DPS to the boss. This is how you make the tank "less spikey" so you don't need Aurora all the time.
    Yes it was redesigned last year or so and now it's your "new yaulp". Keep it on cool down while tanking.
    Oh I thought you were in HoT since you're a heroic character. How does Heroic work without HoT?[/quote][/quote]
  16. FranktheBank Augur

Interesting, sounds fun.

So it's less about the aggro over time and more about just keeping the 10% guard up?

I'm not heroic? I have a pending heroic claim that is worthless to me lol
  17. Wulfhere Augur

Right. Honor's hate over time is constant. Each cast pulses an extra +instant hate and refreshed the guard. Notice that Honor is super low mana cost too. It was retroactively designed in 2017 to be good enough for a spell gem.

ps: I reread your OP. Ok so yer level 85 capped in UF era. Gotcha. Go and camp your Magmatic Deflector in Arthicrex .
  18. Wulfhere Augur

19. FranktheBank Augur

What about Withstand, do you just add that to another button and hit it? 15sec cd for 2 hits mitgated seems good?
  20. Szilent Augur

OP asked about spell bar. There's AAs & discs, sure